Disney Princesses

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of all the cheapquels, Pocahontas II is the worst one, IMO. :grouchy:
Yet, the more historically accurate film. And by historically accurate, they get a name right or something. I forget the details exactly.

But I'd say the worst of the cheapquels would be the one that was the pilot for a Cinderella series. I'm disappointed as heck that we didn't get the Atlantis series, and we only got those episodes strung together... but who was going to tune in to a Cinderella series? I don't think that story had enough of a hook for a TV series, no matter what angle they went at it.

But we deserved that Atlantis series. The movie was pretty good and all, but the concept is more suited to a series. Plus, it had that Gargoyles crossover episode that was never produced. Yeah, it was just one character and all, but still... Gar-freaking-goyles!

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Yet, the more historically accurate film. And by historically accurate, they get a name right or something. I forget the details exactly.
Screw historical accuracy! Many other fictionalized and romanticized interpretations of the Pocahontas legend (some good, some bad) have been to death for ages LONG before the Disney adaptation came into being, so people need to stop ragging on it and learn to live with it and start giving it a free pass like they've done with the other aforementioned itirations.

Besides, people don't go to Disney films for history lessons. They come to them solely for entertainment purposes only.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If I want to be entertained by historical inaccuracy, I refer to a talking dog and his boy.

But yeah. It's well known Pocahontas is my least favorite one of their movies. Not so much a bad film, it's far from terrible. Just off-putting and preachy. To it's credit, the animation is beautiful, the music's not bad, and I appreciate that they made both the indigenous warriors and the conquistadors equally jerks. It's just, well... not in the league of as much fun as Lion King. I mean, seriously... you have something like Lion King, no matter what film you release next is gonna be a let down.

Still, the two things I really don't like about the movie now after hearing about it are that the reason it exists in that form is because Katzenburg wanted them to do an Oscar Bait film... and you recall this is the same Katzenburg who wanted Toy Story to suck (we all should know about the Black Friday reel now). And the fact that it was originally going to be even further from historical accuracy to being a genuinely fun adventure flick more in line with other Disney films at the time. John Candy was going to be a talking turkey.. then he kinda dies, but... still... That seemed like a genuine fun movie that had broader appeal.

And mind you, that's the one Disney film I've seen that I didn't get any enjoyment out of. I've found something solidly enjoyable in every other film, even Tarzan which was kinda a disappointment. I did see it again recently and I liked it better that time around. Still disappointed that in a film an actual sequel and a TV series they never got around to the lost prince mythos of Tarzan, yet managed to fit it into a half hour in a Ducktales parody.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
If I want to be entertained by historical inaccuracy, I refer to a talking dog and his boy.

But yeah. It's well known Pocahontas is my least favorite one of their movies. Not so much a bad film, it's far from terrible. Just off-putting and preachy. To it's credit, the animation is beautiful, the music's not bad, and I appreciate that they made both the indigenous warriors and the conquistadors equally jerks. It's just, well... not in the league of as much fun as Lion King. I mean, seriously... you have something like Lion King, no matter what film you release next is gonna be a let down.

Still, the two things I really don't like about the movie now after hearing about it are that the reason it exists in that form is because Katzenburg wanted them to do an Oscar Bait film... and you recall this is the same Katzenburg who wanted Toy Story to suck (we all should know about the Black Friday reel now). And the fact that it was originally going to be even further from historical accuracy to being a genuinely fun adventure flick more in line with other Disney films at the time. John Candy was going to be a talking turkey.. then he kinda dies, but... still... That seemed like a genuine fun movie that had broader appeal.

And mind you, that's the one Disney film I've seen that I didn't get any enjoyment out of. I've found something solidly enjoyable in every other film, even Tarzan which was kinda a disappointment. I did see it again recently and I liked it better that time around. Still disappointed that in a film an actual sequel and a TV series they never got around to the lost prince mythos of Tarzan, yet managed to fit it into a half hour in a Ducktales parody.
Don't let all that make you hate the film. Don't think about them.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Sue from Doraemon is an unofficial princess :laugh:
Let's hope Moana doesn't spawn any memes like Frozen.