Are there Season 1 shows floating around?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
@hooperfan you'd be surprised to see what he did with several other uploads- I STILL am very annoyed with his upload of "That's What Friends Are For"! I mean, is a laugh track really necessary for the video?

hooperfan

Reaction score
@hooperfan you'd be surprised to see what he did with several other uploads- I STILL am very annoyed with his upload of "That's What Friends Are For"! I mean, is a laugh track really necessary for the video?
No...certainly not...and if one is gonna add stuff to the videos, they should say so in their description...another thing that boggles me about some uploaders on YouTube are the ones that present clips that are too fast in pitch...and they're just copies of other videos anyway...I mean, what's the point? Sometimes I'll find my own videos being copied on another user's and they don't even change the things I wrote in the descriptions...weird, man, weird:grouchy:

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
No...certainly not...and if one is gonna add stuff to the videos, they should say so in their description...another thing that boggles me about some uploaders on YouTube are the ones that present clips that are too fast in pitch...and they're just copies of other videos anyway...I mean, what's the point? Sometimes I'll find my own videos being copied on another user's and they don't even change the things I wrote in the descriptions...weird, man, weird:grouchy:
In regards to Veston's upload of Bert and Ernie coping with a blackout: in case you didn't read the comments, someone calmly asks him to remove the credits, and what do you think his response is? "No thanks."

"Sometimes I'll find my own videos being copied on another user's and they don't even change the things I wrote in the descriptions...weird, man, weird:grouchy:" That also happens quite a bit with MarshalGrover's videos too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So essentially this is a guy who whines about wrong sounding Muppets, yet sees fit to alter classic clips, ones that about everyone else has already uploaded anyway, with annoying, pointless garbage because reasons?

Somehow, given the scope of some of the worse Muppet/Sesame fans on Youtube, I'm far from surprised.

PiLfan

Reaction score
Previously "A Little Bit at the Beginning" was listed as first appearing in the third episode, but on that page it mentions a film segment with portions that were later edited into the song, and no mention of the song there. I guess a change is in order... "A Little Bit at the Beginning" is sometimes listed as "Beginnings", and that title is listed in the CTW Archives first season show content, with no obvious mention of the song. I guess that means that the segment didn't appear in the first season (don't know how I feel about the DVD release of the first episode having a song from a later season, though it is quite appropriate for the first episode).
I have no idea what the actual season "Little Bit at the Beginning", with song and all clips from it, first aired, but it was probably the early 70s. The biggest clue is around the 1:30 mark of the video (see below). It shows what appears to be the World Trade Center towers being built. The stage of completion shown in the video was sometime around 1970-71 or so (in 1969, only one of the towers was visible from the Hudson). So my guess is the actual full video, with all clips and the song itself was likely from the 2nd or 3rd season.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
So essentially this is a guy who whines about wrong sounding Muppets, yet sees fit to alter classic clips, ones that about everyone else has already uploaded anyway, with annoying, pointless garbage because reasons?
Sounds about right to me. Plus, did you see his drawing at the end of the Blackout skit? A kid in elementary school could have done better than that!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have no idea what the actual season "Little Bit at the Beginning", with song and all clips from it, first aired, but it was probably the early 70s. The biggest clue is around the 1:30 mark of the video (see below). It shows what appears to be the World Trade Center towers being built. The stage of completion shown in the video was sometime around 1970-71 or so (in 1969, only one of the towers was visible from the Hudson). So my guess is the actual full video, with all clips and the song itself was likely from the 2nd or 3rd season.

I saw the "Beginnings" clip too, and there are two shots where the camera zooms out from the buildings. The second shot is the one I've seen my whole life. The first one, which I only saw recently for the first time, pulls back a little further, and you can see boats on the lake in Central Park. The first shot doesn't show the boats, and it's hard to distinguish the buildings since they're silhouetted against the sun. But true to form with a lot of Season One material, they tightly edited it down, Joe Raposo scored his great gospel-tinged "A Little Bit in the Beginning" and made a classic out of it.

So the shots included are not the World Trade Center, although it's easy to think so. Plus I've got a songbook of Joe's sheet music with "A Little Bit..." copyrighted 1970. So it still could be a Season One relic, no later than Season Two.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. Plus, did you see his drawing at the end of the Blackout skit? A kid in elementary school could have done better than that!
I didn't have to watch those videos because I've seen that kind of thing before.

It's true that there are videos that have some stupid alteration to get around copyrights. Some just have annoying mirror flips and boarders that aren't totally invasive... but those ones that are sped up or terribly off pitch and are unwatchable... I mean, what's the point? That defeats the purpose of uploading things. It's unfortunate, and it hits some rare or inaccessible to certain countries shows.

But it seems this Veston guy is paranoid someone's going to take his videos and alters classic work, yet whines about GEEWUNNER type wrong sounding Muppets and probably how the show isn't picture perfect similar to how the one he grew up with was. That seems like a complete conflict of interest. Granted... if they were Youtube Poops, Music Videos or some other fan made content, I wouldn't see a problem. But putting up sucky versions of segments with dumb alterations to them out of paranoia isn't something a classic fan would want to see. So what's the point?

DotBridgekeeper

Reaction score
I'm not a seasoned member out here, but I'm glad I found this thread. And I thank you, hooperfan (Sesame Maniac), for bringing these early clips to us. I wasn't alive for the first two seasons, and wasn't conscious for perhaps a few more, but all of this has been quite fascinating so far.
If not for my visual impairment, and if it weren't so difficult for me to navigate this site, I'd be reading and contributing to more threads. But I'm sure I speak for everybody here when I implore that the Workshop gives us all the full seasons' worth of shows, at least thru Season 20.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
I don't understand that either. All it does is muddy the waters if one is doing a search on You Tube for a specific thing. You get all kinds of "hits" and a bunch of them end up being the exact same post of the same thing duplicated. I don't undertstand the reasoning behind that.

As far as someone adding sound effects, text or whatever, one thing I've learned over the years in interacting with other collectors is the kind of people who are passionate about something (and I include myself in this) tend to have, well, how do I say it..."interesting" personalities. Some are a little quirky in a fun way, and some in a "not fun way." Some have very proprietary feelings about "their stuff" and are reluctant to share it or let it out, and sometimes when they do, they have to "brand" it in some way so everyone knows who it "belongs to." And if someone "steals" it from them, they may take it as a personal affront. It's weird how something so seemingly fun and innocent as collecting videos can have a "dark side."