TV Alert: Ernie and Bert on "Oprah: Where Are They Now?" Sunday December 21, 2014

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Don't tell me OWN has the same copyright issues that Sesame Workshop has with people uploading full episodes on YouTube! Not that I have a problem with Dailymotion, but I'm just a little curious on why Shane/Oscarfan/MarshalGrover (whatever he wants to be called) chooses to upload it on Dailymotion- again, I have absolutely NOTHING against that site.
He restricts his YT channel to Sesame Street only.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I do think the OWN people would remove things though. I probably would put it on DailyMotion. But not the whole episode, just the E&B section.
When you do, don't forget to put the bit with Ernie fooling with a lint brush.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I do think the OWN people would remove things though. I probably would put it on DailyMotion. But not the whole episode, just the E&B section.
When you do, don't forget to put the bit with Ernie fooling with a lint brush.
Also, please include the first hint of Ernie and Bert before the commercial break. Cause that footage isn't in the actual interview.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I agree. I heard the voice in the preview and found that Billy's Ernie is pretty much spot on to Jim's. Like, people have mentioned Steve's Ernie seems to be weak at times as if he sort of has trouble getting Kermit or Guy Smiley out of his Ernie voice. Plus Steve's availability is a factor as well. Though it was nice to hear him sing "It Feels Like Christmas" in that Disney World video, so hopefully Steve will continue as :smile: for a long time and Billy will continue as Ernie so he'll be around more often as well. I would like to see the whole special if anyone has a video available of that.
My opinion differs. As much as I believe Jim did a better Kermit, I LOVE Steve's Ernie. It just felt more jolly and happy.

Billy's Ernie has a very grown up, not so silly, Ernie voice. I love the dynamics between a silly Ernie and a serious Bert. I just don't feel Billy was the right choice.

That is just my opinion though. I only brought it up because you mentioned other people thinking Steve's Ernie wasn't so great.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I can sort of see both sides. You have to admit Steve has been at the role for many years and we all know him as Ernie, but it seems that Billy is aiming more for a Henson type Ernie, while Steve has sort of made the character his own. But I see what you're saying, Billy's done a different Ernie voice and it's not quite what we're used to, but this is the case with a lot of recasts. You just sort of have to give it time. Recall how Steve was weak with his :smile: voice the first time he performed him, but got much better over the years. This could be the case with Billy as Ernie. Again, like everybody says, a recast of Ernie may be a necessity right now if we want to see him on the street more often. Plus you never know. Maybe Steve will return as Ernie from time to time, sort of like Frank does with his characters. Anything's possible.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I finally got to watch this because it repeated on the OWN network. It's easy to see that Billy has a lot of potential as Ernie. What I really think he needs to help him grow into the character is some classic Ernie and Bert sketches. The more material they write that really showcases Ernie's personality, the easier it will be for him to grow into Ernie as a character and not just as a voice. More and more and more experience and interplay with Bert will naturally just make Ernie come alive.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Here's the appearance for those who missed it:

(My DVR stopped mid-credits)
Here's the rest of the bit: What books are on your nightstand? Ernie: The Cat in the Hat. Bert: 50 Shades of Beige. Do you have a celebrity crush? Ernie: Taylor Swift. Bert: No, I don't have a celebrity crush, but I was almost crushed by a celebrity. Yeah, Ty the Elephant. He's pretty big in the elephant world.