Most Obnoxious Fandoms

Harleena

Reaction score
I'm going to put this for passive aggressive reasons that leave me angry as heck.

Space Jam Lola Bunny fans are terrible. The character sucks. Just plain and simple. I made a statement on DA because I was sick of my at the time dislike of Kristin Wiig fan art (I since deleted) was taken as a "OOooh! What did you do to my all time favorite poorly written Mary Sue GRRRRRL Power character by making her funny" statement. That was ticking me off, right there. So I basically make another statement saying the character was terrible and added in cynically to create merchandising and sell tickets to little girls. And some member gets indignant on me because that member liked the character. And while we were having a nice debate about it, their feelings got hurt, they put words into my mouth and blocked me before I could even respond, like a cowardly, immature little brat.

Now, I get it. LTS is polarizing, but so isn't POS shows like Loonatics and (worse) Baby Looney Tunes. You get into the right sanction of LT fans, and they don't even like Chuck Jones for changing Daffy and Bugs. That's the kind of fanbase that is.

But that just tore it for me. I've never come across a more obsessive fanbase for anything half as stupid (minus Alpha and Omega). Lola Bunny is the dictionary definition of Nostalgia Filter.
I've never seen Space Jam, but I personally liked LTS!Lola.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I do to. But try telling that to anyone who actually liked her in Space Jam, where she was poorly written and you can tell the writers didn't like her either, and they'll slam you with crap.

To be fair, they tried to get her to be funny in a flash cartoon. Too bad she was never like that again.

And before anyone slams me with the strong female character crap...

Penny Gadget, Lisa Simpson, Gadget Hackwrench, Cleo the cat, Rosita, Storm, Firestar, Raven, April O'Neil (every single version), Haylee Smith, Sandy Cheeks, Louise Belcher, Jessie the Cowgirl, Miss Piggy... I could list strong and engaging female characters all day. Lola in Space Jam wasn't one of them.

Harleena

Reaction score
Merida, Tetra (from Legend of Zelda), Samus Aran, Gamora, Katniss Everdeen, Hermione, Tris (from Divergent), Elsa, the girls from Teen Titans…there's a ton.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heck, let's put in Anais Watterson and D.W. Read. Strong? They're downright manipulative to the point of evil.

That said, while I dislike the LT purists that hate anything made after the early 60's (and given the garbage from the late 60's I can't blame them... ever see Injun Trouble? It's not terrible because it's racist, it's terrible because it's terrible), I'll side with them in the "Lola shouldn't have been made" camp then the "you changed it now it sucks" crowd. And yes, LTS does have some legitimate gripes like the lack of slapstick. But they made a character that wasn't Looney Tunes quality into something from Looney Tunes.

Harleena

Reaction score
Heck, let's throw in Sailor Moon and the other Sailor Scouts now that we're at it!

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I don't really have many other specific fandoms I hate. There are traits a LOT of fandoms have (even this one isn't safe from it) that annoy me, such as:
  • Opinion myopia (because it leads to pointless infighting and unneeded condescension, which is why I have so little patience for it here. The "Complaining about People not Liking the Show" crowd is especially bad; no, people are not idiots, or jerks, or wrong by default just because they don't like the shows/movies/etc. you, or "most people" do, or characters you like, etc.)
  • Ship-to-Ship Combat Warriors (one of the main reasons I'm glad to not get involved in shipping. Especially in media wherein romance is not the focus)
I'm actually in the planning stages of a blog post about types of geeks/fandoms who give geeks/fandoms a bad name...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Merida, Tetra (from Legend of Zelda), Samus Aran, Gamora, Katniss Everdeen, Hermione, Tris (from Divergent), Elsa, the girls from Teen Titans…there's a ton.
Ditto Mabel Pines, Wendy Corduroy, Prairie Dawn, Helga Pataki, the Mane 6 in Friendship is Magic, Gosalyn Mallard, Lois Lane (the Superman TAS version), Elisa Maza, Daria Morgendorffer, Marceline from Adventure Time, and just about every lead female role in Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.

Drtooth said:
And yes, LTS does have some legitimate gripes like the lack of slapstick. But they made a character that wasn't Looney Tunes quality into something from Looney Tunes.
I'm not too bothered by the lack of slapstick in LTS, since the original shorts were more dialogue-based than others at the time anyway. I like it more for taking the Looney Tunes characters and ideas and putting them in a real-world context. One of my favorite episodes has to be the one with "Byoogs Byoonee" being tormented by one of his old-time nemeses Cecil the Turtle, who is now a customer service rep for his cable company.

Last edited:

Harleena

Reaction score
Let's not forget the fandoms where everyone ships one thing. In Supernatural, I think it's Destiel. In Sherlock, I think it's Johnlock. If you're in that fandom, and you don't ship that one ship, it's horrible for you, because everywhere you jo, you see that ship.
I'm actually in one of these fandoms (is there really any other popular Don't Hug Me I'm Scared ships besides Padlock?), but luckily, I ship Padlock and I'm not in any of the other fandoms.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not too bothered by the lack of slapstick in LTS, since the original shorts were more dialogue-based than others at the time anyway. I like it more for taking the Looney Tunes characters and ideas and putting them in a real-world context. One of my favorite episodes has to be the one with "Byoogs Byoonee" being tormented by one of his old-time nemeses Cecil the Turtle, who is now a customer service rep for his cable company.
LTS is a hugely polarizing series for Looney Tunes fans, but what gets me is that the show is at least trying to be funny. Looney Tunes Babies was a ripoff of Muppet Babies and it could have been so much more. It was less than that, actually as Muppet Babies was engaging. Loonatics Unleashed was the example of Executive Meddling, worse than Lola's addition ever could be. I sadly have to admit, they tried the second season and there's some episodes that are (and this is painful as heck for me to say) enjoyable. They had a (very painful for me to say) brilliant use of Porky and Sylvester and Tweety second season, but the damage was done. This is stuff they should have done first season instead of standby, generic villains. Those have fanbases and they're welcome to them. But LTS gets more hate for being a sitcom when the show runners purposely made it as such because remaking the old shorts or humor in the same style wasn't going to win anyone over either.

Anyway, I really liked the show, but I liked Duck Dodgers a lot better. I think it's my favorite of the bunch, but I rather liked all of them but the two mentioned. And LTS did bring back interest in the characters after they didn't know what to do after Looney Tunes BIA.

Personally, I just felt silly for not liking what they did to a character I didn't like in the first place anyway. But mainly because I didn't like Kristin Wiig when she was first on the show. I do retrospectively, just not as much as I like Andy Samburg... I really feel foolish not liking him before, especially with the new terrible digital shorts guys.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's not forget the fandoms where everyone ships one thing. In Supernatural, I think it's Destiel. In Sherlock, I think it's Johnlock. If you're in that fandom, and you don't ship that one ship, it's horrible for you, because everywhere you jo, you see that ship.

Know what I hate? When people ship characters that downright hate each other. Like Kitty Katswell and Dudley Puppy, or Tigress and Po. Though, I'd admit she was probably warming up to him in the second film, but I saw so much of Legend of Awesomeness it's hard to see them not hate each other in that way.