You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I don't know, like I said, I haven't even heard of her till now, but I'm noticing all the backlash she's getting (I guess because she's mainstream now or something), and everybody's been calling her the new Miley. In fact, there was a whole big thing about Bette Midler criticizing her (and the music industry in general) about how music today is all about these young starlets drawing attention to their looks rather than their actual music.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
In fact, there was a whole big thing about Bette Midler criticizing her (and the music industry in general) about how music today is all about these young starlets drawing attention to their looks rather than their actual music.
BETTE MIDLER is saying that?! I know she reinvented herself through movies and "Wind Beneath My Wings", but a huge chunk of her act in the 1970s was based on her looks. For goodness sakes, she put out an album called Thighs and Whispers. Some female pop stars deserve criticism, but I don't know that it should be coming from Bette Midler.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The funny thing is, the real criticism of Miley should have been that she was in a group of many that auditioned to be in a TV show made by Disney for the explicit purpose to release albums of the star of the show both in character and as themselves. It was all perfectly prefabricated well before hand. Kinda like The Monkees, but without someone talented writing the actual music.

That said, it feels to me like she doesn't realize why her film career never materialized wasn't so much because of that TV show, but because the films she was in were crap to begin with. But I totally agree. It's not like good looking starlets never existed. Janet Waldo can attest to that, seeing as she was kicked off The Jetsons movie for Tiffany. Someone who's numba one jam was a cover.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That said, it feels to me like she doesn't realize why her film career never materialized wasn't so much because of that TV show, but because the films she was in were crap to begin with.
That, and she can't act worth a squat; I've said it before, she has no subtlety to her performances, you can tell that she can tell there's a camera rolling, and she hams it up.

Janet Waldo can attest to that, seeing as she was kicked off The Jetsons movie for Tiffany. Someone who's numba one jam was a cover.
Seriously, has Tiffany ever done anything that wasn't a cover? Not only that, but her covers are gender-flipped at that.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
BETTE MIDLER is saying that?! I know she reinvented herself through movies and "Wind Beneath My Wings", but a huge chunk of her act in the 1970s was based on her looks. For goodness sakes, she put out an album called Thighs and Whispers. Some female pop stars deserve criticism, but I don't know that it should be coming from Bette Midler.
Lol!! This reminds me of when Brooke Shields (she played Miley's mom on Hannah Montana) criticized Miley Cyrus' performance at the 2013 VMAs, even though Brooke was controversial for starring in several R-rated films back in the day.:stick_out_tongue:

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Lol!! This reminds me of when Brooke Shields (she played Miley's mom on Hannah Montana) criticized Miley Cyrus' performance at the 2013 VMAs, even though Brooke was controversial for starring in several R-rated films back in the day.:stick_out_tongue:
Eh well, even in the '70s, R-rated movies were often done with a bit of class. They were made for adults. Nowadays, so-called edgy movies or music are often just juvenile shock value, for teenagers who want to act like grown ups.

What Cyrus did was pretty desperate. I do feel bad for her that her 15 minutes might be over, but losing your dignity ain't the way to get it back.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oy... I know Dr. Oz is a surgeon, but why does he and his team think we actually want to watch the surgeries they do on TV? I mean, open-heart surgery... yeah, that's what I wanted to see before lunch today...

And yet, we're supposedly not allowed to show people drinking or smoking on TV anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That, and she can't act worth a squat; I've said it before, she has no subtlety to her performances, you can tell that she can tell there's a camera rolling, and she hams it up.
She was somewhat bearable in Bolt and to a much lesser extent the Emperor's New Groove cartoon. But yeah. Her film career went no where due to bad film choices and the fact she can't act. But somehow, I guess she feels that the kid's show held her back... which brings me to...

What Cyrus did was pretty desperate. I do feel bad for her that her 15 minutes might be over, but losing your dignity ain't the way to get it back.
At the risk of going "you're serious?" I agree to the sentiment, but unfortunately that's not how it works. You know why Justin Beiber is still being talked about? Because when he does something stupid he gets talked about, he's being talked about. If everyone hates him that much, stop talking about him and he'll go away. Same thing with Miley. It was calculated carefully, and it became talked about. That helped her career more than anything. Embarrassing yourself is a sure fire way to get media attention, and she found a way to be offensive yet in a purely nonthreatening, nonviolent way that made her come off as slightly crazy and not devastatingly insane. It sounds absolutely stupid, but I assure you, it was ingenious! We're talking about her now, mission accomplished.

All we need now is a picture of Miley chomping down on a cigar and saying "I love it when a plan comes together."

mr3urious

Reaction score
She was somewhat bearable in Bolt and to a much lesser extent the Emperor's New Groove cartoon. But yeah. Her film career went no where due to bad film choices and the fact she can't act. But somehow, I guess she feels that the kid's show held her back... which brings me to...
If only Miley could pull an Ashley Tisdale and start a full career in voice acting. Ashley's role as Candace on Phineas & Ferb made me appreciate her and her singing talent more. :smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, they did shoehorn Miley into Emperor's New School in the second season of the show. Her character was...meh... and for Mezoamerica, had a thick Texan accent. Ashley has better range. Phineas and Ferb was a great project for Disney. They managed to put some of their stars into the show without it seeming desperate and corporate synergistic, and one of the show runners was in a band and knew how to add musical content to the series beautifully.

But voice acting does save careers. Mark Hammil is probably starting to get more well known than Luke Skywalker... so much so he retired from it. Adam West is now too costly to get as a voice actor as he's not appearing as much in Family Guy and in Fairly Oddparents, his voice was recast and the character is no longer known as Adam West. And then there's Carie Fischer in Family Guy as well. And props to FG, Adam and Carrie never had to reprise their original roles once, though Carrie was cast in the Return of the Jedi episode... as another character. Even Jon Heder is finding some roles in Uncle Grandpa and TMNT. Voice acting used to be this stigma (unless it was a movie), now it's a great second career.