2 different Alphabet Chat L versions

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in the Alphabet Chat L skit. 2 different versions were made. The first one I remember had Mr. Chatterly talking about the letter L. First Cookie Monster opened the window and asked Mr. Chatterly if he's seen his cookie. But then closed the window quickly. Then a repairman started hammering Mr. Chatterly's chair telling him it was broken. Then an old lady came in asking Mr. Chatterly if he's seen her kitty cat. Then a cow came in and started meowing like a cat for some reason. Then the director came in and Mr. Chatterly was frustrated that all these interuptions happened while the cow was still meowing and the old lady was still looking for her cat.

The second version looked like it had been badly edited. All that Cookie Monster did was open the window and said, "LISTEN!" and then closed it. The chair repairman said he had to fix the loose chair. And instead of an old lady, a little girl came in looking for her lost lamb Lulu. And the cow was baaing like a sheep instead. And the director was telling the cow to get into a llama costume while Mr. Chatterly was acting frustrated. And at the very end, the cow asked, "What am I supposed to be?"

ssetta

Reaction score
You know, it's very interesting you mention this. The second one must have been done later. Because on the early Alphabet Chat sketches, lots of really crazy things happened, and some of them were even violent, like in the R version, where the guys dropped a radiator on his foot. Apparently, there were quite a few like that. I wonder how many Alphabet Chat sketches they did. So far, I have only seen B, H, O, and R. Were there any others?

matthewxel

Reaction score
Didn't one of the L versions have 2 anything Muppet kids who came along and thought that Mr.Chatterly's books were real but they were actually painted on the wall. :concern: :confused:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I remember in the Alphabet Chat L skit. 2 different versions were made. The first one I remember had Mr. Chatterly talking about the letter L. First Cookie Monster opened the window and asked Mr. Chatterly if he's seen his cookie. But then closed the window quickly. Then a repairman started hammering Mr. Chatterly's chair telling him it was broken. Then an old lady came in asking Mr. Chatterly if he's seen her kitty cat. Then a cow came in and started meowing like a cat for some reason. Then the director came in and Mr. Chatterly was frustrated that all these interuptions happened while the cow was still meowing and the old lady was still looking for her cat.

The second version looked like it had been badly edited. All that Cookie Monster did was open the window and said, "LISTEN!" and then closed it. The chair repairman said he had to fix the loose chair. And instead of an old lady, a little girl came in looking for her lost lamb Lulu. And the cow was baaing like a sheep instead. And the director was telling the cow to get into a llama costume while Mr. Chatterly was acting frustrated. And at the very end, the cow asked, "What am I supposed to be?"
i thought i had imagine that 1st 1. the 1 with Cookie while i didn't rememebr what he had said, i remember at 1st he closed the window on his neck. and the cow pretended to be the cat. i don't rememebr the ending of the 1st L AC show other than he did it upset. can't even remember what he said in that 1st 1. that was inncident the 1st AC show i saw. than the O and R ones followed and for a number of years didn't see the L one till either the late 70 i think the 2nd L show came along and probably knew something was different about this 1. i can't see why they remade it. i don't think there was as much difference with the both of them. the R show i could see if they had shosen to have remade it because of the radiator scene. but the L one Xerus mentioned. that is something to wonder about?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Brain picking time!

Okay, you experts. There was also one (can you tell me which letter?) Guy Smiley appears at the end and pretends to do a commercial for dog food. (Bow Wow Chow) and sees if the dog will eat it. But it's true, I felt so bad for Mr. Chatterly. With all the interruptions going on he looked like he was about to have a stroke!

Splurge

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Okay, you experts. There was also one (can you tell me which letter?) Guy Smiley appears at the end and pretends to do a commercial for dog food. (Bow Wow Chow) and sees if the dog will eat it. But it's true, I felt so bad for Mr. Chatterly. With all the interruptions going on he looked like he was about to have a stroke!
Okay, I'll be the spolier. It was "R".

But the end of the skit illustrates another example of how I would have loved to see the camera pull back so we could actually see Jim, Frank, Jerry and Richard performing this scene. I have a feeling it would look similar to "Sex and Violence".

Isn't that an amusing mental image?

TashAndMe

Reaction score
I wonder if any members of this forum have the AC letter L segments? If anyone does, I'd like a copy of them. I have B, H, O, and R (courtesy of SSetta), and I'd love to have L also.

crazydaze

Reaction score
I thought I was nuts and that this segment was on some other show! Is there a good place to find videos online?