You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's the deal with some of the titles for SCTV episodes? Some of the episodes seem to have two titles ("Pet Peves/Happy Wanderers", "Days of the Week/Street Beef") and it seems to sometimes use episodes related to the backstage plots and sometimes related to a sketch from that episode.

I've also noticed something similarly odd about the titles of Pee-Wee's Playhouse episodes. While there are episode titles with plot relevance, it seems like a number of episodes have titles that only reference one small scene/sketch from the episodes. "Stolen Apples" has just one scene late in the episode where Randy steals Ms. Steve's apples and gets caught and learns a lesson, "Beauty Makeover" has a scene with Miss Yvonne giving Mrs. Steve a beauty makeover, "The Restaurant" has a scene with Pee-Wee and Captain Carl playing restaurant... And all of these episodes titles sound like things that would have made for good full-episode plots. Though many episodes don't have a plot focus, with the majority of shows that do coming in later seasons (almost like how in the early years Sesame Street didn't have much plot focus in its street scenes but later on did). And some of the episode plots were rather generic ("Just Another Day", "Lots of Fun", etc.). Although the titles were used mainly for production purposes and didn't appear on screen (though I'm guessing it was decided from the start to release episodes on home video), considering that and the fact that so many episodes didn't have plot focus, it would have probably been more practical to just title the episodes after the episodes secret word.

And -- Oh and this is more of a "question" than a "what's the deal with..." but a similar subject -- Do episodes of The Great Space Coaster have actual titles (even if the "titles" are just the names of the guest stars)? I know that the master tapes only include the episode number and (I think) dates (is this the case with all master tapes? Is this the case with, say, the master tapes for The Muppet Show)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffett recently opened a restaurant close to where I live, and already it's getting poor reviews. :stick_out_tongue:
And to think. He sued the heck out of a Jimmy Buffet named restaurant years ago. I'm guessing it was much better than that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now I'm reminded of Kermit Unpigged, where Rizzo sees the sign on his door, thinking it's, "Jimmy's Buffet."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't remember exactly where I heard it, but years ago I remember Buffet suing a restaurant that dared name itself after Margaritaville or one of his songs or something.

On another note, anyone else think that the Remmington Steele theme tune sounds a lot like the He-Man theme?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oddly enough, this restaurant of his is called Margaritaville, but like I said, it's not getting too many good reviews so far.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Early on in The Simpsons episode "Brother from Another Series", after Reverend Lovejoy had redeemed Sideshow Bob, Lovejoy mentions that it's hard to believe that Bob is the same criminal who had run for mayor. Sideshow Bob had done a number of other crimes - including robbery and framing Krusty for it, a number of murder attempts, and an attempt to destroy an entire town - and the mayor campaign (which while rigged and a little corrupt was perhaps his least-evil plot so far)is the one mentioned as an example of how how'd gone from a criminal to redeeming himself???

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life have both had any variations with familiar characters. But one thing I just realized is that most Christmas Carol variants have familiar characters playing the roles of characters from the movie and follows the same basic plot, while It's a Wonderful Life variants/parodies usually feature the characters as themselves, with no attempt at matching how the characters would have turned out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lemme just say this. It's a Wonderful Life was one of the first mainstream alternate time line stories there was. Alternate universes and timelines are absolutely fascinating because of how drastically different things can get. It doesn't even need to be an It's a Wonderful Life parody in any level of directness. That's why we also have screwed up time line and mirror universe variants of that story.

Seriously, for a tossed out bomb picture that's only famous because it was cheap to acquire and rerun on Christmas, it was a bold concept.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So everybody's mad at this Ariana Grande chick right now for apparently following in Miley Cyrus's footsteps by tarnishing her previously squeaky-clean, kid-friendly image (never even heard of her before), and overly sexualizing herself (her new Christmas video on YT's homepage today is filled with nothing but complaints from people over her shaking her butt throughout the whole video).

But, what are we gonna do? It's the times. Girls just want to be regarded as hoes anymore, we apparently can't teach 'em not to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't notice because I assumed that she was like that to begin with.

With Miley, at least there's the excuse that she had that lame TV show following her around and wanting to dump that for holding her career back or something.