Are there Season 1 shows floating around?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That Brand X sketch was really neat. I knew guy was originally called "Sonny Friendly," (No connection with the other Sonny Friendly character.) but I never knew he had a different voice. I guess this was before the "Pick Your Pet" game. I don't think that's Carroll. My guess is Jim using a different voice, but as someone mentioned John Lovelady may be a good guess too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That "Swinging on a Star" segment is a somewhat better use of having the adults decorate Anything Muppets than most of those sketches. It feels more like Susan putting characters in animal costumes. Though some of those Anything Muppets had blank faces (and all were naked), a few of them at least had eyes.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

I disagree with Bert completely - Swiss cheese is nasty stuff. Yuck! :drool:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I disagree with Bert completely - Swiss cheese is nasty stuff. Yuck! :drool:
I generally dislike cheese (aside from mozarella cheese and macaroni and cheese), but I wonder if holes really do make cheese taste better (well, it was taught on Sesame Street, so it must be true...). How does holes make cheese (or any other food) taste better?

Maybe this is a better question for the "questions about anything" or "ever notice...?" threads.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know if the holes have anything to do with it, but it sure is nasty stuff; gross taste and waxy texture. :stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe it's just Bert who thinks cheese with holes taste better because he's Bert. Though I don't think his nerdy personality was established/developed until the second season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Nah. Remember, Frank initially disliked Bert because of how dull and boring he was, but it wasn't until Frank took Bert's dullness and made that his strength that Bert began to establish as a character and Frank found him more enjoyable to play. Let's face it, Bert can be adorkable at times when he gets really excited over reading an oatmeal cookbook, or listening to another thrilling weather report on the radio, and let us not forget his passion for bottlecaps and paperclips.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In these old ones, Bert was just a straight-man to Ernie's jokey personality. I really think things started turning around for the character when Bert started fainting in extortion, but he really went full swing Bert by the time "National W Lovers" came about.

Like I've been saying, these skits are fun, but they didn't become what we know and love until a while later.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wonder though how early on in the show's existence did Jim and Frank start ad-libbing a bulk of the E&B inserts? I imagine, like it took Frank a while to get in tune with Bert, that it may have taken a little while for them to ad-lib the way they did.

There's this insert that was completely improvised from start to finish.