TV Alert: "A New York Christmas to Remember" honoring Jane Henson airs Christmas Eve

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, I also liked the brief little segment they had with Cheryl, Heather, and others talking about Jane's inspiration for this story, noting that having five children herself, the miracle of birth was particularly near and dear to her heart.

As pointed out, yeah, it was a little out of the box as far as Henson goes, however, I'm guessing Henson was still involved with the process of putting this thing together, the credits were hard to read, but I think I saw Jason Weber's name during the credits, and he's the president of the Creature Shop.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I didn't know how much of the Henson family was involved in puppetry and I can see the difference from that type of performance since I was expecting Muppet versions of the characters, but I know that was more of Jim's thing and I guess other members of the Henson family use a different kind of puppetry. Either way, it's really great. Kind of reminiscent of those guest puppeteer performances that they used to have on The Muppet Show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly don't think it would have worked well, or would have been as effective if it was done with Muppet-style puppets.

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
I recorded the program on my DVR, and I managed to watch it last night. I didn't know what to expect from the puppetry during the program, but I sure knew the puppetry wouldn't resemble the Muppets since Cheryl and Heather Henson own the Jim Henson Company, and not the Muppets. I was indeed blown away by the puppetry, which reminded me of the puppetry of Bruce Schwartz. Even more amazing was the interviews of the Henson and the Mary and Joseph puppeteers, and that puppetry was used in churches; I felt very glad that Jane Henson fulfilled an item on her bucket list and brought back a nearly forgotten art-form in a place you least expect it. The speeches were inspiring and very self-reflecting to me personally, and the music from the choirs and orchestra was very captivating. Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
and that puppetry was used in churches
Puppetry is often used in churches, mainly in youth ministries. Back in 2005, I was asked to puppeteer for Vacation Bible School, they had a wise-cracking construction barrel puppet named Darrel the Barrel, who I played every night that week, much to the delight of the kiddos.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I was starting a puppet ministry at the church I was going to at the time. To start I had my lead puppet step behind the pulpit and introduce himself to the entire church. After he did his bit I stood to a clapping ovation. It was a huge success and I was told by several folks I had a lot of talent. One person even suggested that the Puppet become the next pastor.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I watched it when I came home Christmas night on my DVR, and I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I thought the puppetry was amazing and loved the little mannerisms and movements the puppeteers gave to them, that they still had personality even though we didn't hear them speak. Like the segment where Mary goes to visit her cousin who is also pregnant, and she puts her hand on her belly and then they hug, etc. Absolutely amazing.

I also thought the giant rod puppets flying over the church that Heather helped perform was also breath taking. What a wonderful tribute to Jane and the Henson legacy in general.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Melissa, I'm coming over to your place to watch it with you. Shall I bring chips and sodas?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone has a high-quality version of Jane Henson's "A New York Christmas to Remember", please start a private conversation with me. We're looking to add this on Muppet Central Radio.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Any chance this beautiful masterpiece will be repeated this year?