TV Alert: Muppets on NBC's America's Got Talent Wednesday September 10, 2014

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I liked it okay. The opening made me want a real Muppet Show!
Yeah. I liked how the opening sort of referenced the Muppet show them using the part from the first season where it begins with Fozzie telling a joke and the fifth season where Waldorf and Statler sang a verse.

Who wrote for them here?

Speaking of writers, I still want to grill the "Good Luck Charlie" writers (Phil Baker and Drew Vaupen) for destroying Piggy's character. :mad:
I'm not sure that was all the writers fault. We've talked about how Piggy has been gradually 'flanderized,' I think that was the term was used. I think they may have just exaggerated that. But I think she has toned down since then. She did seem very compassionate and caring in MMW.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Yeah. I liked how the opening sort of referenced the Muppet show them using the part from the first season where it begins with Fozzie telling a joke and the fifth season where Waldorf and Statler sang a verse.
And Fozzie's Titanic joke was also told in a fourth season episode.

I'm not sure that was all the writers fault. We've talked about how Piggy has been gradually 'flanderized,' I think that was the term was used. I think they may have just exaggerated that. But I think she has toned down since then. She did seem very compassionate and caring in MMW.
True, but I think that she still falls back into flanderization territory from time to time, especially in guest appearances and interviews (even the America's Got Talent opening shows off a bit of the flanderization, because in the past, she would've tried to charm Nick Canon first and only resort to getting violent and aggressive as a last resort, such as in her scene with Peter Ustinov in GMC, for example). It would be nice if she could last at least one appearance without doing karate or threatening anyone, because the shtick is old.

As for Good Luck Charlie, I would say that that one goes beyond flanderization and straight into character derailment territory, since Piggy is not supposed to hurt or even threaten children, especially human children. That, plus the fact that Piggy asked something against Kermit ("Which do you like better? Pigs or frogs?") can make some people like me think that Piggy might not really love Kermit anymore and just treats him as either a whipping boy or a trophy boyfriend rather than the apple of her eye.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, I could have watched Modern Family, but when there's a choice between the muppets and Modern Family, I am obviously going to pick the muppets, but boy that was one of the worst muppet appearances. I know I can not expect another "The View" scenario, but come on. The Miss Piggy introduction was extremely well cheesy, and was what she did on The View, so really? The theme song showed some promise, I mean it is not every night we get to see Zoot and Link on primetime, then I should have stopped watching, sadly I expected something really cool to happen under false assumption, because of the muppet show theme song, but really I should have switched to ABC then and there. I am pretty sure AGT fans who are also muppet fans saw the muppets as icing on the cake, but I have not seen an episode of AGT before this, and I am far from a fan, so I was basically bored the whole time, and almost changed the channel. The Statler and Waldorf comments were neat, but just typical, and nothing new or hilarious, though that did keep me watching, and there was next to nothing else besides a Miss Piggy number which just felt like LGATMHS all over again, so nothing I really liked, and a few extremely breif and stale muppet antics. Though barely any muppets was not even the worst part, that was the ending. So Kermit comes on and tells the host that they have to go, but I am thinking obviouisly this is a cutaway for the host to have them in a big song and dance number finale or for them to come on stage, and after a few cheesy puns they just leave, really? Come on, that is the worst thing that could ever happen and extremely un-muppet like, so they just leave? The muppets put on a big finale and end whatever they are on saying goodbye on stage, I mean come on, what is this, the muppets just leave because they have to go, I was about to eat the TV set like Animal did in the Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge TMS episode, I was just in shock, though I thought they would still come back, because they decided to stay, they did not. Long story short, I did not like that appearance, I could have watched Modern Family, and I should have, I give the appearance a 3/10, it was just sad, and I wish the muppets would just get their own show instead of being demolished on a mediocre talent show, I expected something big like "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", turns out they broke my heart with this shoddy appearance, the next time the muppets are on a show I do not care for I will think twice about watching it, just kidding, but I will keep my expectations real low, and I know I am coming off negative, but it really was not something special. Here is hoping the next time the muppets make an appearance, it turns out better than this, I really hope it turns out alright.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Let me just say when it came on like TMS I was so excited cause I thought "yes their gonna be on through the whole show and come out and perform." But no! The only thing I liked about it was Piggy's number and Steve was there. :stick_out_tongue: the audience participation though was awesome! Who says a Muppet Show wouldn't make it today?! Just take a chance Disney!! Okay that is all.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Let me just say when it came on like TMS I was so excited cause I thought "yes their gonna be on through the whole show and come out and perform." But no! The only thing I liked about it was Piggy's number and Steve was there. :stick_out_tongue: the audience participation though was awesome! Who says a Muppet Show wouldn't make it today?! Just take a chance Disney!! Okay that is all.
Actually, seeing Fozzie not portrayed stupid was a refreshing change, I mean when was the last time Fozzie was just a struggling comedian, probably not anytime recently sadly.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well had I known it was just gonna be snippets of them I would've just waited for clips on YouTube.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And Fozzie's Titanic joke was also told in a fourth season episode.

True, but I think that she still falls back into flanderization territory from time to time, especially in guest appearances and interviews (even the America's Got Talent opening shows off a bit of the flanderization, because in the past, she would've tried to charm Nick Canon first and only resort to getting violent and aggressive as a last resort, such as in her scene with Peter Ustinov in GMC, for example). It would be nice if she could last at least one appearance without doing karate or threatening anyone, because the shtick is old.

As for Good Luck Charlie, I would say that that one goes beyond flanderization and straight into character derailment territory, since Piggy is not supposed to hurt or even threaten children, especially human children. That, plus the fact that Piggy asked something against Kermit ("Which do you like better? Pigs or frogs?") can make some people like me think that Piggy might not really love Kermit anymore and just treats him as either a whipping boy or a trophy boyfriend rather than the apple of her eye.
I'm gonna have to disagree with all this. That is all. :big_grin:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well had I known it was just gonna be snippets of them I would've just waited for clips on YouTube.
Same here, I mean not every muppet appearance can be like "The View", though I wish most appearances were like this one.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree with all this. That is all. :big_grin:
I disagree with you. Stop denying the destruction of Piggy's character, especially in the Good Luck Charlie appearance. And quit being Kermit/Piggy apologist as well.