TV Alert: Sesame Street at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thursday morning don't miss the Sesame Street Muppets and cast on their "123 Sesame Street" float at The 88th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

The parade begins at 9 am eastern on NBC. Please note, the parade may be delayed an hour or so for your time zone, so be sure to check local listings for accurate start times. Also in some markets, NBC will be re-airing the parade in the afternoon so check local times for broadcasts in your area.

Here is "Somebody Come and Play" from the 2013 appearance with Jimmy Fallon...

Here is "What I Am" from the 2012 appearance...

Here is the 2011 appearance...

And here is the 2010 appearance...

If you saw the Macy's parade, please "like" this message and share your thoughts below.

wiley207

Reaction score
That was unusual: when they started the parade, they did NOT play the signature theme to "New York, New York" like they have for previous years. Instead they got a new theme song. What was up with that?

Just mainly tuning into it now to see the Sesame float. When they announced it, it said on the banner "THE CAST OF SESAME STREET with the MUPPETS." Wouldn't it have made a bit more sense to say "THE CAST AND MUPPETS OF SESAME STREET?"

The Sesame Street float is coming up! I saw it in the distance!

Of course, Grover, Abby and Elmo are in the nest with Big Bird! We even get a solo from Ernie and Bert!

An interesting surprise was when they announced the float, they played an instrumental version of the current opening theme! Very interesting how it took five years for NBC to finally start playing the current theme now.

We all watched it together in my family. My mom noted Maria was looking pretty good!

Last edited by a moderator:

mimitchi33

Reaction score
They just came on and they were REALLY GOOD! I liked how the song told everyone about how Sesame Street helps kids learn.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
There are few things I can set an internal mental clock to, and the annual appearance of Sesame's float in the T-Day Parade is one of them. Like clockwork, they come on a quarter of an hour into the true start of the parade after Tom Turkey has started the cavalcade of characters.

If you didn't blow your brains out after seeing Dora... Here's a fun Spanish word translation for you... Gun, pistola.
The float and song were great to watch, it made me smile. Among the characters I recognized were Mando, Leela, and Alan for the humans; Abby, Elmo, The Count, Big Bird, Murray, Grover, Ernie, Bert, and Cookie Monster.
Of note, Ernie's new puppeteer voiced him in this appearance, so maybe that is an indication that SW has seriously recast him owing to Steve's obligations in performing Kermit.
One character I didn't recognize was the one who sang the line after Bert and before Cookie Monster.

Loved this, thank you for 45 years of sunny days Sesame Street. :jim:

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I've never heard that song before, but it was great! So many characters had lines which is always appreciated. And I always love when Nitya Vidyasagar sings. I wonder why Bob, Susan, Gina and Luis weren't there. They normally are.

This was the first time in a long time that the float wasn't sponsored by some outside company or featured some other outside performer (like Lang Lang or Jimmy Fallon), which I feel is a good sign. Maybe Sesame's financial status is improving. There weren't any big logos for other companies on the float, which is fine with me.

Also, with Billy Barkhurst performing Ernie's voice on the float too, can we officially name him the new performer?

wiley207

Reaction score
One character I didn't recognize was the one who sang the line after Bert and before Cookie Monster.
That was Rosita! It's been a while since she had a solo in the parade, I think.

And Count, yes I have an internal mental clock when it comes to this parade, too.

And of course, ol' Oscar didn't want to sing with them.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow I love seeing the Sesame float and song every year! This was a new song, according to Sesame's Facebook feed. I don't mean to throw a monkey into the fire, but to me Ernie sounded like Steve, but I have only heard Billy once, so I may be wrong.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Sooo there isn't gonna be a Kermit balloon like last year?:stick_out_tongue: