Dying ostrich feathers......

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone able to offer any help or tips for dying ostrich feathers. I usually buy them on a ribbon, the fringe/trim type. I'm really struggling to find the duck egg blue/ green kinda turquoise colour for Mokeys hair. It's pantone colour 565 if you google search it!!?

Thanks all.

propologist

Reaction score
You can use rit dye. But I would not dye a boa as the cording holding it together will more than likely dye darker than the feathers. You can also airbrush them with ink or paint.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Mokey actually has two colors in her hair: blue and green. I buy whole white ostrich feathers and dye them using Rit dye. For her I use teal and kelly green, mixing in some lemon yellow to the latter because I find it tends to turn out bluer than I want.

Here's my Mokey:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Mokey actually has two colors in her hair: blue and green. I buy whole white ostrich feathers and dye them using Rit dye. For her I use teal and kelly green, mixing in some lemon yellow to the latter because I find it tends to turn out bluer than I want.

Here's my Mokey:

Thanks for the tips guys. I had a bit of an experiment with feathers this afternoon. I used rit dye on white feathers, rit dye online has 100's of recipes for pantone colours and they have the actual one for Mokeys hair which is 565. This is for the blueish colour. I worked really well. I have a pale lime yellow/green for the highlights.

Thanks again for the help, really looking forward to sharing pics of my Mokey soon.

Chris