Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The holdout episode of this season's first 5 will be released to DVD as one of the insufferable overpriced kiddy disks.

Much like PBS is withholding Sesame Street episodes to tie in with movies in May and June, they're pulling the same crap with this episode to tie in with the premier of the next season of Downton Abby.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a few more things I've learned:

It's now been confirmed that Season One has been permanently retired and will no longer be aired on PBS, because the episodes are, indeed, considered "too dated" by today's standards - particularly with Technology Marches On.

I also recently learned that there was going to be a Halloween special about ten years ago or so, but it was ultimately shelved since ARTHUR'S PERFECT CHRISTMAS and ARTHUR, IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL weren't really successful.

The reason why the episode count per season was dropped to ten by Season Four was because of a new standard that PBS had of wanting a certain number of episodes in rotation; it was also decided by this point, the writers had already tackled all of the specific issues and themes were needed to, and this is also why Arthur has been put more and more out of focus and other characters have been given the spotlight more and more.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Here's a few more things I've learned:

It's now been confirmed that Season One has been permanently retired and will no longer be aired on PBS, because the episodes are, indeed, considered "too dated" by today's standards - particularly with Technology Marches On.

I also recently learned that there was going to be a Halloween special about ten years ago or so, but it was ultimately shelved since ARTHUR'S PERFECT CHRISTMAS and ARTHUR, IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL weren't really successful.

The reason why the episode count per season was dropped to ten by Season Four was because of a new standard that PBS had of wanting a certain number of episodes in rotation; it was also decided by this point, the writers had already tackled all of the specific issues and themes were needed to, and this is also why Arthur has been put more and more out of focus and other characters have been given the spotlight more and more.
That is sad, how are they too dated, they still teach kids the same things. It seems pretty stupid.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm personally not surprised at all by that logic of dropping the first season. It's absolutely inane, no doubt. It dramatically drops the number of episodes they have in rotation as well.

Then again, a lot of season one looks quite muddy and dark due to odd coloring choices. The studio was fresh off of The Busy World of Richard Scary, and they had the same dark browns and white pink tongues. I have to admit, the first season wasn't the best looking of the earlier seasons. Better than the hyper sanitized flash animation, sure... let's get that out of the way. But future seasons up to a certain point looked a lot better aesthetically.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Hm, I'm not so much of a fan of the current flash animation either, but like what many of you have said, the storylines and the lessons being told are still as interesting as the previous seasons.

I know they're branching out and giving other characters a chance to have a certain storyline(s), but even though I don't mind them and think they're really funny, I'm not so big on those D.W./Emily/Tibbles-centric episodes.:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll take D.W. episodes over the Kate and Pal ones. It was cute exactly once and I have to admit the ones about Mr. Toad screwing with the economy were actually pretty funny... but the Around the World in 11 minutes one was trash. And especially if it has Mei Lin in there. She's one of the worst characters on the show.

I don't mind if it's a story about Arthur, his family, or his friends, but they're getting into friends of friends of friends territory. Do we really need episodes about James?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Also, they've been cutting down on the Imagine Spots lately, because they apparently confuse kids.

Need we more proof that today's kids - who are exposed to cellphones and tablets by the time they're yanked out of their mothers' wombs - are almost totally imagination-challenged?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, they've been cutting down on the Imagine Spots lately, because they apparently confuse kids.

Doug's lawyers are thankful for that.

I like most of the imagine spots, but they basically do little more than restate the obvious. I remember what Brad Bird said in the commentary for The Incredibles that dream sequences just restate what the audience already knows or should know by now. It does make sense in a kid's show, and some of those dream bits are quite inspired. But those things are kinda far removed from the original books.

Still, the fact it confuses kids? Where are they getting that info?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Still, the fact it confuses kids? Where are they getting that info?
I'm sure they have market research like SST does; remember, research turned up ATC was confusing kids because they couldn't keep track of all the sudden new locations and new characters, which is why they were pretty much all scrapped by Season 30.