Disney buying Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode VII coming in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've enjoyed the shorts so far. I can't wait for the "movie" in a couple days. I've noticed that Star Wars Rebels merchandise was released as early as this past summer. And nothing really too spoilery until more recently. Sometime in July, I actually saw a kid's Star Wars Rebels watch, but it just featured Storm troopers.

And I'm sure Lego sets will soon follow.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rebels has been renewed for a second season ahead of the premiere. In related news, Greg Weisman isn't going to stick around for it.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/10/02/greg-weisman-exits-star-wars-rebels/

I really hope Disney gets very invested in this series, as it's the first Star Wars project produced under the Disney label (at least to be ready) and a sign of what they're going to do with the franchise. I'd hate for this to be like the Tron cartoon and be buried deep under everything else. Maybe Disney needs to rethink airing these things on XD, and have more of the XD shows air regularly on Disney, which gets better viewership on a more available channel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This proves how casual a fan of Star Wars I am. A great gag in the Rebels movie went over my head.

Ones that know their Star Wars trivia will probably know, but when they're trying to pass Zeb off as a Wookie prisoner, and it's pointed out he doesn't look like one... well...

Zeb is an approximation of what Chewbacca almost looked like.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay, does anyone else think that The Inquisitor's dual lightsaber with the spinning mechanism is super cool? I smell a merchandising opportunity! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney Store finally has some original Star Wars merchandising. It amounts to just coffee mugs, T-shirts (something there's no short order of anyway), a few plush (including Ewoks), but especially noteworthy are three of their figurine sets, one for each of the original movies.

It's when I noticed something. Other than the original trilogy and Rebels, Disney doesn't market any of the prequel trilogy characters. Just before the buyout, they became sort of retro for the younger generation that grew up on them. And that's discounting Clone Wars. There was a lot of Anakin and Young Obi Wan stuff on the market just before. Disney seems to know it's the original trilogy that sells, and how fans would prefer that to the entire go around. That does give some hope to the upcoming films.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, Episode VII will simply be given the subtitle The Force Awakens, and already a lot of fans are complaining. Go fig. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're Star Wars fans. They freak out anytime anything more than a comic book comes out. I'm sure Disney has plans to please classic fans far more than Lucas was when he was in his own little world. I still don't see why him letting go of his own movies and selling them to Disney is met with such bile when they weren't liking the direction he was taking the franchise in the first place.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They're Star Wars fans. They freak out anytime anything more than a comic book comes out. I'm sure Disney has plans to please classic fans far more than Lucas was when he was in his own little world. I still don't see why him letting go of his own movies and selling them to Disney is met with such bile when they weren't liking the direction he was taking the franchise in the first place.
Now if only Disney can work with Fox to re-release the "Classic Editions" of the OT with properly restored picture and sound, then that should shut them up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of this news, and I really don't want to realize I can't get too comfortable with Star Wars Rebels.

Disney is already planning a follow up cartoon series that takes place in the third trilogy. And it's likely to come out in a couple years.

I dunno... I really think they should at least wait till the film after the upcoming one, where they'd have a little more foreshadowing to work with. Rebels has so far been quite good, probably due to Greg Weisman's involvement, and he's apparently leaving by second season, and I hope they can continue that quality.

BTW, there's already a set of Angry Birds Star Wars Rebel toys. They look kinda cute.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, apparently some idiots are ticked off there's a black Storm Trooper or something in the new trailer...

Think of it this way. We've finally got the third black guy in outer space. Makin' some real progress there. Why, in no time we'll see another woman, maybe. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.