Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4510 - Calm Down and Think

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 45 Episode 4510 - Calm Down and Think
Monday November 17, 2014

While Elmo is going for a ride on his tricycle he notices Chris’ new bicycle horn. He wants one of his own and Guy Smiley tells Elmo that he can win a new bike horn if he plays the game show ‘Calm Down and Think.’ Alan signs on to be Elmo’s coach, but during the last question Alan has to go help Chris at Hooper’s store. Elmo isn’t sure he can remember the strategies for calming down and getting the right answer without Alan.

Subject: Math, Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: U & 7
Word on the Street: Coach – Someone who teaches you to do something.

If you've seen "Calm Down and Think" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This was a huge improvement over some of the last episodes. I'll admit, they're really pushing the self regulation curriculum, but so far, they've managed to do it mostly funny enough to prevent being blatantly repetitive. Ryan's the new Elmo, and I couldn't be happier. His overly nervous, manic Elmo outbursts in this episode was some of the best Elmo I've seen in a long time. Not to mention how great it is to have Guy Smiley back as the game show host instead of Mr. Can You Guess or random unfunny one offs. Eric's really come into his own as the character, and manages to get the craziness of Jim's performance down. His earlier outings were a little stiff and restrained.

I needn't bother saying that I thought the One Direction bit sucked, but that bit about Bert's Unibrow was kinda funny.

And while Nosh of the Titans wasn't exactly the strongest of Crumby Pictures, there was such a level of humor to it that it was fun to watch. The Furry Potter one couldn't have been a bigger disappointment. But this one was fast with the laughter, and gave such a floor rolling crescendo, it managed to perk the segment back up again. Still no Star S'Mores though.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Sounds like they are bringing more classice Muppets back to the street stories which is awesome.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
This was a huge improvement over some of the last episodes. I'll admit, they're really pushing the self regulation curriculum, but so far, they've managed to do it mostly funny enough to prevent being blatantly repetitive. Ryan's the new Elmo, and I couldn't be happier. His overly nervous, manic Elmo outbursts in this episode was some of the best Elmo I've seen in a long time. Not to mention how great it is to have Guy Smiley back as the game show host instead of Mr. Can You Guess or random unfunny one offs. Eric's really come into his own as the character, and manages to get the craziness of Jim's performance down. His earlier outings were a little stiff and restrained.
Good points, Tooth. Though I wonder if Telly would have fit the plot better. I was a bit bothered by Eric's guy voice at first, but after reading your post I kind of understand how Eric is making the character his own, so rather than trying to imitate Jim's, he's just sort of doing his own thing. I guess it's hard when you're so used to having a character sound the same way for so many years.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The street story was very good. I love Elmo getting all excited. Guy Smiley was great of course. Eric's doing a fantastic job with him. The WOTD was cool. I liked seeing Ryan play the princess. The new CCP was funny. I liked Pega-fish and when Moo-dusa froze herself. What Makes U Useful was cool. I was expecting the Muppets to sing with them, but that's okay. The song is definitely catchy. I was kinda thrown off by the fact that MHALL came later than usual. The new Two-Headed Monster bit was funny. I liked that they went the same direction with catching and throwing the ball.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wish the One Direction thing was better. I don't hate the band or the idea of the song, but the execution of it wasn't quite great.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Good points, Tooth. Though I wonder if Telly would have fit the plot better. I was a bit bothered by Eric's guy voice at first, but after reading your post I kind of understand how Eric is making the character his own, so rather than trying to imitate Jim's, he's just sort of doing his own thing. I guess it's hard when you're so used to having a character sound the same way for so many years.
This is one of E4ric's first appearances as Guy

He has the speech patterns down, but it seems like his overall performance is stifled and stiff compared to Jim's interpretation.

He has since made the character more Guy Smiley like by only sort of capturing the impersonation. His appearances this and last season have seen mark improvement. And I'm really glad we got the iconic Sesame Street Game show host back instead of not too funny one off characters. Considering how many game show based episodes we've seen in the last few years and how more formulaic and less funny they progressively came, it's nice to have a funny game show host instead of an obnoxious one.

I wish the One Direction thing was better. I don't hate the band or the idea of the song, but the execution of it wasn't quite great.
While I do indeed dislike the band and their music, it really felt especially weak for the self indulgent self parody songs. Most of them actually are well done, this one not so much. Like they had a disdain for the group and the song itself or otherwise didn't care much. The Five By number from whenever it was looked as great as it sounded, as did The Power of Yet. This looked flat and unimpressive with that plain white backdrop and the group just standing there.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
As much as I love them making new Two-Headed Monster stuff, I find it very confusing that they're more inclined to play sketches with them than they are Ernie and Bert.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I'm just glad we're seeing more classic character bits without having them rely on pop culture parodies or celebrities or both. Between this and the Cookie Monster and Prairie bit, I'm quite happy so far. Hopefully Ernie and Bert bits will pop up later.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The street story was cute, but Elmo's bit s of panic made him sound much less like Kevin Clash and made it sound TOO much like Ryan. Ryan's doing okay, but when Elmo gets exciteable...it doesn't feel right.
The Nosh of the Titans was amazing though. It seemed to be themed a lot towards the old movie. (I haven't see the new one, but it still reminds me of the old one with Maggie Smith).