Most Obnoxious Fandoms

Slackbot

Reaction score
The Muppet fandom can't write an original fan fiction.
When you posted this, you insulted all writers in the Muppet fandom. Thoughtlessly, of course, but that's how many insults are thrown around. We were just replying in a constructive fashion.

Pulling this thread back on topic, isn't is obnoxious to a) snipe at other fandoms, and b) snipe within your own?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've often said detractors are just as bad as rabid fans, if not worse. There's a happy medium and most fans of anything stay in there. The respectful ones on either side don't make the most noise, and noise equals attention no matter who you are.

Sure, I agree that some fandoms need to chill the crap out, and some can even give constructive criticism about more negative members. Lumping all the worst ones into the majority is terrible, since a good lot of said fandoms are the respectful type who also hate the vocal minority.

Harleena

Reaction score
When you posted this, you insulted all writers in the Muppet fandom. Thoughtlessly, of course, but that's how many insults are thrown around. We were just replying in a constructive fashion.

Pulling this thread back on topic, isn't is obnoxious to a) snipe at other fandoms, and b) snipe within your own?
You're right. I'll stop making fun of other fandoms. Let's stop arguing about this and get back to posting stuff that's relevant. I actually decided to read a few of the fanfics from some of the authors you posted. They were really, really, really, really, really good. I won't make fun of this fandom any more, and I recognize that that was really b*tchy of me to do. Besides, my fanfictions aren't exactly masterpieces either. I'll try to be better about this in the future.

Harleena

Reaction score
I've often said detractors are just as bad as rabid fans, if not worse. There's a happy medium and most fans of anything stay in there. The respectful ones on either side don't make the most noise, and noise equals attention no matter who you are.

Sure, I agree that some fandoms need to chill the crap out, and some can even give constructive criticism about more negative members. Lumping all the worst ones into the majority is terrible, since a good lot of said fandoms are the respectful type who also hate the vocal minority.
That's true. Anti-fandoms are pretty bad, especially if they've never seen the source material. I once got into a fight with someone who was hating on the MLP fandom, when they had never even seen the show. I told them to go watch it, and recommended some of my favorite episodes ("Luna Eclipsed", "The Return of Harmony", "Party of One", "Friendship is Magic", "Sisterhooves Social", "Best Night Ever", "Keep Calm and Flutter On"). They ended up loving the show. (I also reccomend "A Canterlot Wedding", but only after you like the show. "A Canterlot Wedding" is NOT a good episode to start with)

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
The Frozen fandom is pretty bad (they'll act like you have no right to dislike the movie, or even criticize it, which, in an interesting twist, just makes me hate it even more. If people like that movie, great; just don't tell me I have to). As are those of Family Guy (many of whom, much like the writers nowadays, don't seem to understand that there's a difference between dark humor or dysfunctional family humor and just being sick and making a family act like complete jerks to each other for no reason and expecting people to laugh. I've actually been told by a few of them that I just have no sense of humor (which, as I hope all of you know, is certainly not true) just because I don't find FG funny), and the Powerpuff Girls (one I regretfully used to belong to. Looking back, I don't think the show as a whole was as great as I once thought it was, but remember the fandom just makes it worse. I remembering being on a PPG fan message board, and anything that came out that dared to have a crimefighting trio would immediately be labeled by them as a "rip-off" (yes, because trios of characters never existed at all before PPG:rolleyes:). And a lot of them seem to have a "Real Women Don't Wear Dresses" mindset (a good number of them would label Bubbles as "weak" by default because she was the most traditionally feminine of the girls, wasn't shown to be "book-smart," per se (even though she was creative and seemed to have a high emotional intelligence), and because (horror of horrors), she was sensitive and cried a lot (almost like an actual kid, right?). It's just unpleasant, and from what I've seen of the fandom recently, not much has changed).

As for bronies, I hear people bash them a lot, but I've seen more agressive, pushy, and rude anti-bronies than bronies, but that's just my experience.

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
OK, I actually think Jim Henson already addressed this...

You know how at the beginning of Labyrinth, Sarah spends all her time cos playing alone, refusing to interact with her little brother and, we're told, never really has play dates outside the house? Basically, she's royally pi**ed off anytime her fantasies are interrupted with real life. It's only when her little brother is actually put in danger that she realizes her priorities were way out of whack.

At the end of the movie (Um, spoilers!)...

...Sarah realizes that to a certain extent she has to move on from her childhood fantasies (thus giving her beloved teddy bear to Toby), and start living a fuller life. But as we see, she doesn't have to give up her fantasies completely. Every now and again in her life, she will always need them.

The most obnoxious fans are the ones who never learn the lessons of Labyrinth. :smile:

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, in otherwords... almost all fans today are obnoxious then? Because, quite honestly, I see people as old as their 40s cosplaying and attending fan cons, and y'know... the stuff the teenagers and twentysomethings do is creepy and freaky enough, but it's just downright disturbing to think that people who should be old enough to start looking into life insurance options are getting involved in that stuff. *Shudders*

But, I've noticed a lot of people like that offer a counter argument: they say that the reason so many people who attend those conventions and cosplay and what have you who seem to deranged and crazy apparently act that way because it's their way of breaking away from the grind of their lives (school, work, personal drama and matters and such), so they take what little time they have to basically let loose and enjoy themselves.

That's what I've been told. I still say some of the behavior that goes on at those things is disturbing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but it's just downright disturbing to think that people who should be old enough to start looking into life insurance options are getting involved in that stuff. *Shudders*
It really depends on the indivdual. Some fans are indeed just regular people who enjoy the chance to act crazy every now and then. Others can become a bit too, um, preoccupied let's say.

And sometimes that's OK. I'm actually one of the few Star Trek fans who didn't mind the documentary Trekkies. Yes, some of the fans featured are pretty weird. But you know what? Life is hard, and things don't always turn out the way you want. If some kind of fantasy keeps you happy and gives you purpose, more power to you! The thing is, most of the fans in the documentary also managed to get along with their co-workers, etc., and weren't complete shut ins. It's all about balance. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
OK, I actually think Jim Henson already addressed this...

You know how at the beginning of Labyrinth, Sarah spends all her time cos playing alone, refusing to interact with her little brother and, we're told, never really has play dates outside the house? Basically, she's royally pi**ed off anytime her fantasies are interrupted with real life. It's only when her little brother is actually put in danger that she realizes her priorities were way out of whack.

At the end of the movie (Um, spoilers!)...

...that Sarah realizes that to a certain extent she has to move on from her childhood fantasies (thus giving her beloved teddy bear to Toby), and start living a fuller life. But as we see, she doesn't have to give up her fantasies completely. Every now and again in her life, she will always need them.

The most obnoxious fans are the ones who never learn the lessons of Labyrinth. :smile:
That's entirely my interpretation of the film. That's also why I don't think a sequel will work. And it's also a scathing critique of fan fiction before it became a big thing.