TV Tropes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there's an index for "opposite" tropes, meaning two or more separate tropes that are opposites of each other, like "Screw the rules, I have money!" and "Screw the money, I have rules!" (and there are a few other "screw the rules, I..." tropes).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that would be "Evil has Standards." The opposite of that would have to be.

I wonder if someone would be open to "Screwdored by the Network." Like when a network can't wait to cancel a show, yet reruns it endlessly after the fact either on their main or alternate networks. Of course, the only network I can think of that really does that is Nickelodeon, rerunning shows that no one ever watched/the network found personally offensive endlessly in daily marathon form.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's many movies and TV shows that weren't successful that have examples of "retroactive recognition" that eventually become cult favorites because somebody in the cast became a bigger star years later. I wonder if there should be a trope for works that are more-or-less the opposite: Shows and movies and such that people hated when they came out (or not enough knew about), then somebody in the cast becomes famous enough that people will want to seek out their past works... And yet the early works are so bad that the public still hates it, regardless of their favorite new celebrity being involved.

I know that the "So Bad It's Horrible" trope mentions that Alana Morresette's first album was so bad that even her most hardcore fans won't even defend it. I wonder if there's enough known examples for a trope like that.

I also wonder if there should be a trope for characters who are always in uniform (I would call it "Always in Uniform"). Meaning that their jobs require some sort of uniform, hat, gear, or accessories which they also wear when they are not working or coming to/leaving work. Probably a lot more common in cartoons than in live action, and likely truth in television (I used to work as a movie theater usher, and on days when I worked I'd usually wear my uniform all day, even if I just worked one shift and did a lot of other stuff during my off time).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Retroactive Recognition covers any of that, irregardless of how bad, poor, or successful the movie or show was.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I was looking at the fridge brilliance page for The Simpsons, and a lot the "fridge brilliance" pointed out seems more like "hilarious in hindsight" or "wild man guessing" tropes than fridge brilliance. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in more "fridge" pages. A lot of The Simpsons" fridge brilliance" is on things that seem to unintentionally connect later, or seem far-fetched. I know that most fridge brilliance is technically speculation (are there any known cases of listed fridge brilliance being confirmed via "word of God"?). And DVD commentary for the show does sometimes mention that the writers will get ideas for episodes inspired by certain lines or gags in previous episodes, so we don't know that some of it wasn't intentional.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone ever stop to think how incredibly British the terminology of some of the tropes are? Exactly what it says on the TIN? Throw a SPANNER into the works?

Terms that don't sound right in the US because of the separation between a common language.

Luke kun

Reaction score
YAAAAAAAH! Can anyone go to the Cut List for me and bring back the source of these three pages?
  • Film/PokemonBlackandWhiteTheMovie
  • NightmareFuel/PokemonBlackandWhiteTheMovie
  • YMMV/PokemonBlackandWhiteTheMovie
I am NOT going to do it myself because I don't wanna get known...it ruins your life! But those 3 pages and that's it!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyone ever stop to think how incredibly British the terminology of some of the tropes are? Exactly what it says on the TIN? Throw a SPANNER into the works?

Terms that don't sound right in the US because of the separation between a common language.
deviantART's the same way: it's an American site, but notice that favorites is spelled with a 'U'.