Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obviously, the trailers play up the kiddy friendly goofy aspects, hiding the heart of the film. Yeah, there's some goofy humor (to be expected as the co-writer did wacky cartoons before), but there's some really warm moments, and it's one of the best looking films I've seen in CGI. I won't say that it's the greatest animated movie of the year, but certainly not bad by any stretch.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does every family film lately make around 17 mil? Shame Book of Life didn't get a wider audience. I swear, that movie was Reel FX's apology for that horrible Turkey film. Sure, it was no Boxtrolls, but it was quite good. Supposedly there were El Tigre characters in it, but I never actually saw the show so I don't know who they would have been, but there's a copyright disclaimer at the end of the movie.

I really love the world of wooden figures the main story has. It gives a very distinct look that I rather liked seeing. There was really a lot of talent behind this one, and they managed to make a good film. And no rescue from Chuck E. Cheese. I'd say the Candlemaker and the Mariachi band were the breakout characters of this one.

Anyone else think Xibalba looks a little like Discord?
The El Tigre characters were in it!?!? I actually want to see this project more now, because I liked that show when I was younger, I remember the movie was by one of the creators of the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're probably background cameo characters or something. The movie is directed and designed by the creator of that series. That I know. And the copyright disclaimer at the end of the movie.

But it did feature voice actors from the show. I had a feeling Eric Bauza was in there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really sucks that kids aren't going to see Book of Life, but a slim majority of tweens went to see that dumb movie. But it is a slender week, and I'm sure kids are just waiting for Big Hero 6 or Penguins instead.

Still... they made a cheap movie and it made money for being cheap. Yeah... Woop-de-freakin-do indeed.

But about Big Hero 6... Disney started actually marketing it as "Based on the Marvel Comic" and then backpedaled on it. There's supposedly hidden Marvel references to look out for (thanks for spoiling that surprise), but they've been almost reluctant to mention that it's a comic book. Their reason (dumb as it is) is that the characters are different from the ones in the movie. Uh....yeah!? Did that stop anyone before? We're talking about a comic company that changed Nick Fury to look like Samuel Jackson so that they could cast him when a movie featuring him was made. Comic book movies change things to fit better in a 90 minute to 2+ hour time frame all the time. Tim Burton made pre-Joker the killer of Batman's parents instead of Joe Chill. But for some strange reason they think they're going to cause a huge level of confusion by rereleasing or reprinting or acknowledging the comic it was based off of.

Either that, or they feel that if they release another Marvel movie this year, some dorks are going to be all "over-saturation" and not see it.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I am so looking forward to Big Hero 6(I had already bought a Baymax plush at my local Disney Store!)!! It looks astounding from the look of the trailers and clips of the film! I am also excited about the adorable-looking short film, Feast!!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Really sucks that kids aren't going to see Book of Life, but a slim majority of tweens went to see that dumb movie. But it is a slender week, and I'm sure kids are just waiting for Big Hero 6 or Penguins instead.

Still... they made a cheap movie and it made money for being cheap. Yeah... Woop-de-freakin-do indeed.

But about Big Hero 6... Disney started actually marketing it as "Based on the Marvel Comic" and then backpedaled on it. There's supposedly hidden Marvel references to look out for (thanks for spoiling that surprise), but they've been almost reluctant to mention that it's a comic book. Their reason (dumb as it is) is that the characters are different from the ones in the movie. Uh....yeah!? Did that stop anyone before? We're talking about a comic company that changed Nick Fury to look like Samuel Jackson so that they could cast him when a movie featuring him was made. Comic book movies change things to fit better in a 90 minute to 2+ hour time frame all the time. Tim Burton made pre-Joker the killer of Batman's parents instead of Joe Chill. But for some strange reason they think they're going to cause a huge level of confusion by rereleasing or reprinting or acknowledging the comic it was based off of.

Either that, or they feel that if they release another Marvel movie this year, some dorks are going to be all "over-saturation" and not see it.
I think most people know Big Hero 6 is from Marvel and it seems those people are already on board. I didn't hear about any backpedaling and I've been keeping up with the press on this. They're trying to get the Frozen and Wreck it Ralph crowd (and justifiably so since this film is by the same team). Anyway, word is the film is good and will likely do very, very well. The only criticism I've heard is that it's kind of safe.

I still haven't seen Book of Life. It's something that should top my list, but for some reason other films have been more attractive to me when it's time to make plans. I'm going to blame their lack of great success on either marketing or timing.

I can't blame Ouija for faring well at Halloweentime. Saint Vincent is the film to see. It gets a little sentimental halfway through, but it's a good story with solid performances all-around. John Wick is also reportedly good. I'm surprised by that too. I wonder how Nightcrawler is going to fare. That might be next on my list.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think most people know Big Hero 6 is from Marvel and it seems those people are already on board. I didn't hear about any backpedaling and I've been keeping up with the press on this. They're trying to get the Frozen and Wreck it Ralph crowd (and justifiably so since this film is by the same team). Anyway, word is the film is good and will likely do very, very well. The only criticism I've heard is that it's kind of safe.
Here's an article about the lack of Marvel tie ins. For the most part, it's a refusal to reprint any of the original comics for those dopey reasons that it would be "confusing." But anyway, Disney has not marketed the movie as a Marvel film or "Based on the Marvel comic" until recently, and even then, those commercials stopped airing as soon as they started. They're not even releasing the Disney Infinity figure tie in under the Marvel banner (that is, I swear they are going to release some under the second Disney series, and I swear I've seen them). Not to mention that BanDai has the toy rights instead of Hasbro. They're clearly trying to distance themselves from Marvel for some reason, even though most of the audience will know it's based on a Marvel property. Then again, with Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men, Spider-Man 2, I can see why they don't want to seem like they're flooding the market to the more casual film goers.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Here's an article about the lack of Marvel tie ins. For the most part, it's a refusal to reprint any of the original comics for those dopey reasons that it would be "confusing." But anyway, Disney has not marketed the movie as a Marvel film or "Based on the Marvel comic" until recently, and even then, those commercials stopped airing as soon as they started. They're not even releasing the Disney Infinity figure tie in under the Marvel banner (that is, I swear they are going to release some under the second Disney series, and I swear I've seen them). Not to mention that BanDai has the toy rights instead of Hasbro. They're clearly trying to distance themselves from Marvel for some reason, even though most of the audience will know it's based on a Marvel property. Then again, with Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men, Spider-Man 2, I can see why they don't want to seem like they're flooding the market to the more casual film goers.
This is completely reasonable. Disney's not hiding the Marvel roots. Marvel fans have already made up their minds whether or not they're going to see it and the general public wouldn't necessarily be swayed by the Marvel moniker. They're just marketing it to the animation crowd that liked Wreck it Ralph and/or Frozen. There is no distancing, merely streamlining. Let's face it, absolutely no company is better at marketing than Disney. None, zilch, zippo. And their ads have been amazing!!

Disney's already doing fine with Marvel. It has been stated that the Big Hero 6 world will be separate from the Marvel movies, but that's to be expected since it isn't live action. This is just a case of trying to build up their (sans-Pixar) animation arm. Sure, they could do both at the same time, but I think Disney would rather let their animation division shine. I'm sure they'll launch brand new comics after this takes off. And I think it has the power to Guardians of the Galaxy (and maybe even Frozen) type business. And Baymax seems perched to be this Christmas' Tickle Me Elmo. I really see no controversy here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's kind of the point I was making. There's not so much controversy so much as it's weird that they're distancing. Perfectly understandable as they want to keep it part of its own thing, though. I mean, only older comic book fans know it's a Marvel production anyway. I don't think the inclusion or exclusion of "based on a Marvel Comic" is going to affect the movie one way or the other. I can see the reason as avoiding overexposure of the Marvel brand.

Still, it would have been nice to reprint the comics for those who ignored it until it became a movie.