Does Sesame Street still air classic segments?

Drtooth

Reaction score
...and Youtube, and Netflix, and DVD, and Sesame's own site...

There's quite a few options, actually. I just wish they'd release more classic episodes online, or at least let fans upload them to YT if they're not available on any other platform.

Honestly, I'm mixed. I do not think SW is indebted that much to the fans that they have to put classic segments on the current show, even though kids that young might not know the difference... unless if they do, they really tend to notice it for some reason. I do not think they should be obligated to entertain a demographic that's far out of their own, but they've made an effort outside of the show. Yet, they really need a larger selection of skits to supplement the ones on the show now, so they don't...you know... run the same thing twice only a few episodes apart? There's plenty of 90's and 00's skits that can seamlessly be added into the show, if only it weren't for that selective HD thing. Seriously... everything else that was was around before the widescreen movement manages to sneak in older footage with CGI frames. Don't see why they can't.

So yeah, in short, they don't need to or have to put on older skits to comply with long grown up fans, and we've got the fan alternative we've always been begging for so we don't have to track down overpriced VHS or DVD's for one skit. But at the same time, they need to go not too far back in the archives for non-parody and non-celebrity footage to expand the show without too much reused footage from the same season.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, The only place for Classic Sesame Street is PBS Kids Sprout.
That's not true. Sprout does not air any episodes from before Season 40 at this point. There is currently no place on television for classic Sesame Street whatsoever, and I'm not sure there will be ever again. I know this may sound totally crazy, but sometimes I still miss the days that Unpaved was ON Noggin. Sure, we have YouTube and SW's website, as well as all these episodes as part of the trading circulation. But it's just not the same as being aired on live TV. It will never be the same again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but here's the thing... does anyone even bother watching that much television anymore?

I do not see why Sesame Street not airing classic segments is a big deal, or a deal of any size if you can find quite a bit online. Season one skits which we thought were gone forever just surfaced. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and the rare A precursor to the H television skit just managed to pop up. Even Seven Little Monsters managed to be available at some point, and that wasn't even on the show.

All I can say is, do we really want to have to sit through the same Abby's Flying Fairy School for the 10th time just to see the 90's remake of C is for Cookie (cuz even if they did air older clips, 90's is as far back as they're going to go) when you can make a playlist of all 11 Pinball Number Counts? The classic clips are everywhere now. We no longer need to go back to tape trading or buying 15 dollar VHS tapes to see one skit. That's phenomenal.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Season one skits which we thought were gone forever just surfaced. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and the rare A precursor to the H television skit just managed to pop up.
I don't think us fans were aware of the fact that the Ernie and Bert "H on TV" segment was a remake of an earlier segment, and doubt we were clamoring for it. Those who looked at the "first season show content" files from the CTW Archives might have noticed it, where it was listed as "Muppet TV Repair A-B", but it didn't mention that it was an Ernie and Bert segment. While those files listed a lot of rare skits I have been really intrigued by, my mind wasn't focused on seeing that particular segment. Of course, on YouTube we've gotten a lot of rare first season segments I wasn't too aware of that I really enjoy, as well as a lot that I have been wanting to see for years.

And I'm a little surprised you didn't bring up the fact that the "Crack Master" segment popped up as well.

The classic clips are everywhere now.
Everywhere but current episodes of the show...:smile:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think us fans were aware of the fact that the Ernie and Bert "H on TV" segment was a remake of an earlier segment, and doubt we were clamoring for it.
I.... never said that we were. I didn't think anyone even knew about it. But whatever the reason, we've seen it, we've got it, we didn't need to sit through Blogg making the giant dinosaur out of macaroni for... well at this point, even Count VonCount would lose count.

And even if they did show anything from beyond 15 years at a time, they sure wouldn't give us anything majorly rare.

Above all we must remember how blessed we are that it's no longer the pre-Youtube phase of Classic Sesame fandom. Remember when we had at best hen we could find a skit or two that you had to play on RealVideo? Remember when anyone had to suffer the piece of crap RealPlayer was?

Luke kun

Reaction score
we didn't need to sit through Blogg making the giant dinosaur out of macaroni for... well at this point, even Count VonCount would lose count.
Oh heavens no, that is our worst torture. Having to watch an Abby segment for the 14,0000,0000th time JUST so we can see a rare Sonic skit. (they don't show those SS Sonic segments anymore)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sonic?

What are you talking about?

Anyway, I don't think the flow of the show so much needs old material as it needs more new material with classic characters and themes to it. And make them for us first, other countries second.

Luke kun

Reaction score
Sonic?

What are you talking about?

Anyway, I don't think the flow of the show so much needs old material as it needs more new material with classic characters and themes to it. And make them for us first, other countries second.

C'mon, we need some new Zoe material. I actually want them to air "I wonder what would happen if everything was in slow motion" and "AND NOW, THE OCTOPUS!" again. (Even though the end of the latter has Kermit.)

We need to (start a) boycott Blogg making the macaroni dinosaur. Or AFFS altogether. Seriously, it's making me sick.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
(Even though the end of the latter has Kermit.)
Besides the fact that the show doesn't show old material anymore (and I'm not sure if they even show fullframe material anymore), there clearly aren't any issues regarding Kermit the Frog appearances. We've gotten quite a few Sesame Street DVDs since 2004 (not to mention 2000, when Henson sold the Sesame Street Muppets) that feature Kermit the Frog material, there's plenty of Kermit clips on sesamestreet.org, Hulu, Sesame Workshop's YouTube channel, and The Sesame Street Podcast, Kermit recordings continue to appear in digital audio releases, Kermit material is still featured (I believe) in international versions of the show that still air classic clips, and a handful of existing Kermit clips (and one new appearance) have aired on the show since 2004 (though it's always something where he's either in a cameo or just part of the gang).

Drtooth

Reaction score
They show fullframe stuff when it's convenient. Can't remember if it was this or last season, but they used Preschool Musical well after the relevancy date. They're incredibly inconsistent with it. But on the other hand, no lazily using kids paint a number mural they always did.