Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree that you have to like what you like. While it is worth it indeed to like something more obscure and without much of a following, it sucks that it's hard to find others to talk about it with and even suckier that there's less of a market for it than some movie/TV show/whatever who's popularity doesn't make sense.

It also sucks that these kinds of things are a double edged sword. If something's unsuccessful, you never see it again yet if it's overly popular for the wrong reasons, that's all you see. I do see a bright spot in crappy remakes. There's usually quite a bit of classic material or at least merchandising supporting it. If the Smurf movies weren't made, we wouldn't see the first American available English reprints/translations of the original Smurf comics (which are a billion times better than the cartoon ever was). Didn't even have that when the cartoon was popular and merchandise was flooding the stores. It took a meh kiddy flick to do that.

Slackbot

Reaction score
If the Smurf movies weren't made, we wouldn't see the first American available English reprints/translations of the original Smurf comics (which are a billion times better than the cartoon ever was). Didn't even have that when the cartoon was popular and merchandise was flooding the stores. It took a meh kiddy flick to do that.
That turns out not to be the case. I have English translations of some of Peyo's original comics, bought when I was in high school O so long ago. Didn't even have to go to the comic shop to get them; they were in the children's section of a regular bookshop.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow. I've never seen them, but I heard tell that UK English Translations were done, they were probably imported. Still, interest in the characters via the movies were the reason we got them currently. And on another note, the two specials they made after the movie are far superior to what was done on the big screen. I'd say they have more reason to be theatrically released than the kid's films were. Especially the digital 2-D animation. it shows they could have gone with the original comic/cartoon's concept instead of blindly following the Chipmunks. Come to think of it, they realized the second film was such a bomb they might as well just reboot the franchise as such.

But if handled right, these unfavorable movies do bring back merchandising interest in the characters. I greatly dislike the Inspector Gadget movies, but I LOVE my Disney Store bean bags of Gadget and Brain. The Underdog movie was an embarrassment... Mezco's classic cartoon action figures were anything but. Problem is, when the movies fail, you never see the characters again, and when they succeed, you see more and more of the movie versions.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's basically because Ricky Gervais was in it :cry:, that's the reason it bombed, the sad part is though, is the fact that Ricky Gervais really wanted the acting part and he got it, and audiences were ticked off by it, but he really fitted the criminal role more than Christopher Waltz, so there's that, in order to have a criminal character, you've got to make him ugly.
Honestly can someone explain why everyone hates Ricky Gervais? I never figured this out, people just keep saying he is hated, what makes him hated, and he seemed like a good actor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said, hipsters probably turned on him because they got sick of his humor or he was in that one thing they didn't like and he's dead to them forever. And the family values crowd hates him because he's a legitimate adult's comedian and genuine adult comedian entertainers should never do kid's movies (with the exception of Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Patton Oswalt...heck, even Julie Andrews was prone to doing unwholesome projects, yet gets pigeonholed because of Mary Poppins and Sound of Music). That said, there is legitimate criticism of his comedic style, and I really do like him alot, but I prefer Simon Pegg. I mean, I really prefer Simon Pegg. But he wasn't a huge Muppet fan, now was he?

But yeah. Filmgoers will avoid a movie if they decide they hate some actor because some hipster critic says they're uncool all the sudden. Somehow I'd say Adam Sandler is immune. He's been making a steady stream of garbage, but since he owns his own production company, he can continue it. Though "Blending" may just dethrown him. Now, being in a terrible movie ruining a star's career isn't a new thing, but it seems to have an extra level of super snarky pseudo-hipness behind it. Film stars will always make a few terrible movies, the smart thing to do is give them another chance. If after that chance they make a stream of garbage (say, Hallie Berry) then we can be the fairweather fanbase and shun the heck out of them. Now, what I think is almost worse is the opposite. When a star who makes nothing but bad films that somehow everyone tolerates makes one movie that the Oscars Academy decide is award worthy. I'm talking Mathew McCouneghy's freaking Dallas Buyer's club win. Dude, I totally agree with everything Family Guy ever said about him. And Sandra Bullock as well... it's worse because the movie she won for was legitimately awful, and she stole the award from that actress from Precious.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm talking Mathew McCouneghy's freaking Dallas Buyer's club win. Dude, I totally agree with everything Family Guy ever said about him.
Oh, please don't get me started on his acceptance speech. :rolleyes:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Honestly can someone explain why everyone hates Ricky Gervais? I never figured this out, people just keep saying he is hated, what makes him hated, and he seemed like a good actor.
Why Ricky Gervais is unpopular with some people:
  • The public tends to be harsh on comedians in general. They're usually either loved or hated. Maybe people love Gervais and many people hate him too. There's very little middle ground with comedy.
  • Religious folk seem to cry foul with his humorous take on religion (even though the majority of the world is religious and Christianity is the most popular religion in the world.) To be honest, a lot of religion doesn't make sense and is ripe for comedic analysis.
  • Gervais is an equal opportunity offender. He eventually says stuff that annoys most people and so few of us have a healthy sense of humor about ourselves.
  • He's British and he's cocky. Americans don't tend to take to that very well unless the Brit is a Bond villain. Some might say his turn in MMW was close to that, but it was really more of a traditional comedic role.
  • He's a very bright man. The mainstream public prefers fart jokes to intellectual humor. That sort of challenge can put some people off.
  • He's non-apologetic about any of this, and why should he be? :stick_out_tongue:
Those are my thoughts on the situation. I love Gervais. I think he's hilarious and his joy shows through every talk show appearance. Most people don't see Atheists with such a zest for life. His presence proves that wrong.

Nonetheless, I don't think his presence in the film has anything to do with the box office numbers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does every family film lately make around 17 mil? Shame Book of Life didn't get a wider audience. I swear, that movie was Reel FX's apology for that horrible Turkey film. Sure, it was no Boxtrolls, but it was quite good. Supposedly there were El Tigre characters in it, but I never actually saw the show so I don't know who they would have been, but there's a copyright disclaimer at the end of the movie.

I really love the world of wooden figures the main story has. It gives a very distinct look that I rather liked seeing. There was really a lot of talent behind this one, and they managed to make a good film. And no rescue from Chuck E. Cheese. I'd say the Candlemaker and the Mariachi band were the breakout characters of this one.

Anyone else think Xibalba looks a little like Discord?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does every family film lately make around 17 mil? Shame Book of Life didn't get a wider audience. I swear, that movie was Reel FX's apology for that horrible Turkey film. Sure, it was no Boxtrolls, but it was quite good. Supposedly there were El Tigre characters in it, but I never actually saw the show so I don't know who they would have been, but there's a copyright disclaimer at the end of the movie.

I really love the world of wooden figures the main story has. It gives a very distinct look that I rather liked seeing. There was really a lot of talent behind this one, and they managed to make a good film. And no rescue from Chuck E. Cheese. I'd say the Candlemaker and the Mariachi band were the breakout characters of this one.

Anyone else think Xibalba looks a little like Discord?
I'm still planning on seeing it. Book of Life looks stunning. But to be honest, there was something a little hollow about the previews. The did a good job advertising the spectacle of it. Aside from that, the story looks rather cut and paste and the humor seems aimed at the under seven crowd. I was hoping for at least one subversive joke or at least some ghoulish humor. Maybe it's just the ads making it look rather lukewarm. We'll see. I hope to love it and, going by the visuals, there's a good chance I'll probably snag the blu-ray.