Funniest Wackiest Zaniest Sesame Sketches

Mary Louise

Reaction score
I remember a sketch where Big Bird has painted something (not sure what) and makes a WET PAINT sign for it. Since the paint on the sign is wet, he makes a WET PAINT sign for it as well. But the paint on that sign is wet, so he makes a WET PAINT sign for it, and so on until one of the adults finds a whole string of WET PAINT signs.

cjd874

Reaction score
I remember a sketch where Big Bird has painted something (not sure what) and makes a WET PAINT sign for it. Since the paint on the sign is wet, he makes a WET PAINT sign for it as well. But the paint on that sign is wet, so he makes a WET PAINT sign for it, and so on until one of the adults finds a whole string of WET PAINT signs.
That reminds me of a skit I read about in the SS Unpaved book where Gordon puts Big Bird in charge of watching his new painting, and the Bird goes overboard by putting a WET PAINT sign (or a series of signs) directly on it, thus smearing the paint and ruining the artwork. Is this the sketch you're thinking of?

Mary Louise

Reaction score
That reminds me of a skit I read about in the SS Unpaved book where Gordon puts Big Bird in charge of watching his new painting, and the Bird goes overboard by putting a WET PAINT sign (or a series of signs) directly on it, thus smearing the paint and ruining the artwork. Is this the sketch you're thinking of?
It might be. It's been so long ago, I'm not sure exactly what Big Bird had made the signs for.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How about the one where Telly was at the library doing a report with another reporter who was "AT THE AIRPORT!!!!!!" And the kid at the end makes faces and jumps around in the background?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Wow…look at all the cobwebs on this thread. Time to pull this out of the attic.

1. First, this grouping is awesome. You rarely saw Kermit interacting with Sesame monsters this late into the show's run.
  2. The twist is absolutely hysterical. I just about bust my guts laughing. "Here, Herry, have a seat!"
  3. Frank and Jerry deliver a short but memorable performance. The only ones that I can recall that were better were the Grover/Fat Blue sketches. And the one-shot skit with the Count and Dr. Rainbrain.
I can appreciate this one now. But I was in my single digits when this first aired back in Nineteen seventy something. And my reaction was, "Some poor kid's gonna be looking for his bike". This skit is easier to stomach now.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot to mention this one.

The short cartoon where everything rhymed with "oose."

You know. The moose that lived in a caboose next to a spruce with Taloose LaGoose?

Now, while that's pretty kooky concepts and imagery, that's not what makes the skit wacky or funny. It's all in the narration. This would not be half as memorable if the narrator didn't slowly start shouting. The delivery almost feels like the narrator is really ticked off and shocked that the goose and moose would drink juice. Even the use of the word "excuse" makes it sound scandalous somehow. The pause in "AND THEY DRANK... JUICE!!!!" sells it. It's almost as if you'd expect the narrator to close the skit with "This wanton act of debauchery makes me SICK!!!"

Or if you'd rather think otherwise, the narrator looked at the script and said "this is some really stupid garbage you're trying to pass off at 3 AM before the deadline," and "&^%$ it!" and shouted the entire thing in the most overwrought narration possible. Either way, if a quiet woman narrated it like a fairy tale with cute, bubbly music behind it, it wouldn't have the same punch.