Questions about anything

mr3urious

Reaction score
Don't forget about watchin' NASCAR an' drinkin' beer! :big_grin:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm glad someone else points this out. Country music as we know it currently is essentially a b&^tardization of rock and pop to some extent. It's not really true country (with small exceptions). And frankly, it's the most mainstream commercial music can get. While there are some genuinely decent performers out there, it's all "Brocountry" music that's about big trucks, 'Merica, and "look at how wholesome we are! We're from the Heartlands. Now enjoy this thinly veiled sex ballad." We no longer have Dolly Partons, Willie Nelsons, and Kenny Rogers-es. Country musicians that could straddle genres and have cross appeal. And that's not even counting the old school Country music of Jimmy Dean and Johnny Cash. No, we have big hat wearing, fake blue collar guys with over the top cartoonish accents singing bland, generic songs about having big trucks. It's like the white southerner version of generic club music about women shaking their fill in the blanks, with increasing reaches and an escalating level of silliness that sounds way less cool than they think. Anyone hear of a song called "Shake your Laffy Taffy?" I did and my world is all the poorer knowing it exists.

Now, there used to be something called Country Rock, which I swear was only used to describe Lynyrd Skynyrd.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
While we're still talking about awful country music, I shall drop this little beauty here which mainly talks about the sexism in modern country;

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't forget about watchin' NASCAR an' drinkin' beer! :big_grin:
It's like "become the stereotype" music. Like an even more soulless version of corporate based Gangsta Rap music. Music that actually makes people more awful.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So The Name Game is copyrighted.... But with so many names that can be used, would any cover be required to pay a licensing fee, or would they normally fall under free use parody?

I know the song was a pop song, which I only remember hearing once, with the singer singing some "name game" examples and explaining the rules... But if you're singing the song and using a name not used in the original version (and not singing any of the other lyrics), would that count as parody?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So whenever there's a Saturday Night Live release spotlighting the best of a certain cast member or host, do they need permission from the spotlighted individual (or their estate) to make such a release? I'm guessing they don't need permission to put their material on the video, and the featured star of the video probably doesn't have any involvement in selecting clips (if they did, would they host the video?).

Not every cast member has a "best of" video, and not every cast member really deserves one. But there are some former cast members who seem like they should. It's a shame there's no "Best of Bill Murray" (you can say the same for Jane Curtain, Laraine Newman, and maybe Garret Morris). I'm also surprised there's no "Best of David Spade". Not sure if I should be surprised about there not being "best of" videos spotlighting cast members from seasons 10 and 11 (two seasons in a row where most of the cast was already famous yet the casts of both seasons only lasted one year each). Of course there is a "Best of Eddie Murphy" video, but it seems like he has distanced himself from the show (not participating in any of the anniversary specials or documentaries on the show, and not participating in the SNL book that heavily quotes many involved with the show), would he have approved of a release of his best SNL material (with that in mind I'd be a little surprised if Dana Carvey approved of "The Best of Dana Carvey" since for years he dropped out of acting and was discreet about his acting career to his kids until they found out about his success on their own)?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't remember if I asked this before, but why exactly is it that a lot of cartoon character appear to read books with their eyes closed? I've never really understood that... and how can they even read with their eyes closed?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I can't remember if I asked this before, but why exactly is it that a lot of cartoon character appear to read books with their eyes closed? I've never really understood that... and how can they even read with their eyes closed?
I've never heard of that phenomenon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You just kind of have to watch, and you'll see that many cartoon characters read with their eyes closed.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'd like to see an example of that. It seems easy enough to draw an open book in front of a character's face, or their pupils down low, but eyes closed?