Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4507 - A Bicycle Built by Two

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4507 - A Bicycle Built by Two
Wednesday October 8, 2014

Telly is getting ready to go on a bike ride and Little Chicken wants to go too, but she doesn’t have her own bike. Luis and Telly agree to help build a bike for her. Telly manages to find parts that are all the right size and Luis helps put everything together. Little Chicken is so excited to have her new bike!

Subject: STEM, Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: L & 5
Word on the Street: Diagram – A picture that shows the parts of something and how they go together.

If you've seen "A Bicycle Built by Two" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This episode's main street story was cohesive enough, giving Luis a prominent part building a bicycle big (or small) enough for Little Chicken. Good that Telly was the main Muppet featured. But the fact they kept yo-yoing between Little Chicken being happy and sad was a bit annoying. I'll say this for them, someone must be getting plenty of mileage out of the thesaurus they got for Christmas.

Oh and hey, Alan made an appearance as part of the story's plot as Telly kept getting bike parts from Hooper's Store's kitchen.

Pizza pans as wheels, rolling pin as handlebars, and a to-go box for a seat.
The last time I saw someone use a rolling pin as part of a "parts for something else" quest was when Taz had to get the Minotaur's Precious Pinacus for the genie's yo-yo.

Film: Class field trip at a car construction workshop.
Does this remind anyone of the old films they had about the crayon or saxophone factory?

Celebrity/Muppets: Some woman named Clair teaches :insatiable: about diagrams, including a diagram of a cookie. I think we all knew where this was headed.

Animation: Recycle-Bots.

Super Grover 2.0: Duck Crossing.
Leslie's voice as the little duck is cute.

Grover: "Well, don't be daffy, duck."
Grover: "Toddler waddler."
Grover: "Do not worry my question-forward friend."
Grover: "Oh, that crossing over thing. What good will that do?"
Duck: "It's time for me to UNLEASH! the power of engineering!"

Hey, that's Super Grover's catch phrase, all rights reserved. They really gave Grover all the funny lines in this segment, glad they're still making at least a handful of new sketches for him.

Abby's Flying Fairy School: The Pinocchio Process.

This was the first time hearing the Pinball Count structured number song medley, effective since today's number of the day was 5. Now this is the kind of thing we deserve as a decent number sketch. Just One Person, One And One Makes Two, and Four were all from the Numbers album; Five People In My Family possibly as well; but I didn't recognize the song for 3, was that the song sung by Elmo and Herry and Prairie?

Animation: Salty and Pierre go on a number safari to find a 5.

Elmo the Musical: Prince Elmo the Musical, first time I'm seeing this segment.

Murray's Peeps in the Neighborhood: Joseph the Kinnetic Artist.
Do not like the rap. These bits were shorter than his usual segments, it could have been expanded to a regular Murray school inserts.

A good episode, I'm more looking forward to the new CCP later in the month.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The street story was cool. I liked Alan's reactions to Telly using his things. The WOTD was funny. I was a little disappointed that they reused a Peeps in the Hood bit. The new SG 2.O was funny. I love the lines, "Don't be daffy, duck" and "It's your party and you can cry if you want to."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Telly sold this episode. The chicken was on the thin line between funny and annoying (not nearly as annoying as the penguin or 15), but Telly's constant vigil over the chicken's emotions made the episode solid. I'm not going to get into the the mechanics of the bike being impossible (there's no chain or tires). I'll say the pleasing one shot characters bit is wearing thin, though this is hardly the worst of those past 2 episodes.

Anyway, I noticed this episode looked a lot better than the Ernie and Bert episode. The CGI backdrop looked a little more genuine, and there wasn't some odd frame rate that made everything seem a bit off sync like last time. It all adds up that the Ernie and Bert episode was rushed. This one seems to have been given a bit more time. Though I will say it's a little jarring that there's a bustling city behind them and there wasn't a little ambient noise.

It's always great to see a New Super Grover 2.0. I genuinely love the segment, but the price tag per episode means constant reruns and that means lack of interest. Grover actually wasn't hugely over the top in this one compared to the others. And I liked that they managed not to poke holes in the logic by mentioning the duck refusing to swim and not being able to fly.

Other than that, there wasn't much to speak of. They sure used a lot of filmed inserts this time around, and a lot less Muppet segments. It's just bizarre that we haven't seen a single one of the highly publicized parody segments, especially since they used the same Spanish Me song twice so far in 6 episodes.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Daffy Duck? Never heard of him. Lol. Only kidding there.

Actually I wasn't too thrilled about Telly describing the chicken's emotions either. I think that took too much time away from the plot. I also thought there could have been more to the street scene other than Telly getting all these kitchen items from Alan. I was sort of expecting him to check Oscar's trashcan for some small tires. Where has that grouch been this season?

ploobis

Reaction score
This episode's main street story was cohesive enough, giving Luis a prominent part building a bicycle big (or small) enough for Little Chicken. Good that Telly was the main Muppet featured. But the fact they kept yo-yoing between Little Chicken being happy and sad was a bit annoying. I'll say this for them, someone must be getting plenty of mileage out of the thesaurus they got for Christmas.

Oh and hey, Alan made an appearance as part of the story's plot as Telly kept getting bike parts from Hooper's Store's kitchen.

Pizza pans as wheels, rolling pin as handlebars, and a to-go box for a seat.
The last time I saw someone use a rolling pin as part of a "parts for something else" quest was when Taz had to get the Minotaur's Precious Pinacus for the genie's yo-yo.

Film: Class field trip at a car construction workshop.
Does this remind anyone of the old films they had about the crayon or saxophone factory?

Celebrity/Muppets: Some woman named Clair teaches :insatiable: about diagrams, including a diagram of a cookie. I think we all knew where this was headed.

Animation: Recycle-Bots.

Super Grover 2.0: Duck Crossing.
Leslie's voice as the little duck is cute.

Grover: "Toddler waddler."
Grover: "Do not worry my question-forward friend."
Grover: "Oh, that crossing over thing. What good will that do?"
Duck: "It's time for me to UNLEASH! the power of engineering!"

Hey, that's Super Grover's catch phrase, all rights reserved. They really gave Grover all the funny lines in this segment, glad they're still making at least a handful of new sketches for him.

Abby's Flying Fairy School: The Pinocchio Process.

This was the first time hearing the Pinball Count structured number song medley, effective since today's number of the day was 5. Now this is the kind of thing we deserve as a decent number sketch. Just One Person, One And One Makes Two, and Four were all from the Numbers album; Five People In My Family possibly as well; but I didn't recognize the song for 3, was that the song sung by Elmo and Herry and Prairie?

Animation: Salty and Pierre go on a number safari to find a 5.

Elmo the Musical: Prince Elmo the Musical, first time I'm seeing this segment.

Murray's Peeps in the Neighborhood: Joseph the Kinnetic Artist.
Do not like the rap. These bits were shorter than his usual segments, it could have been expanded to a regular Murray school inserts.

A good episode, I'm more looking forward to the new CCP later in the month.
I believe the Little Duckling in SG2.0 was performed by Stephanie D'Abruzzo. That duckling has got to be the cutest character Stephanie ever performed!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
But the fact they kept yo-yoing between Little Chicken being happy and sad was a bit annoying.
Yeah. Now that I saw Monday's ep, I'd have to say Telly was freaking out about the number 15's feelings as well. Seems like Telly has gotten especially neurotic this season. Of course he was back in the 80s as well, but he has toned down since then up until now. Lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There is a difference, actually. The main one being that 15 was a freaking brat that kept crying every 5 seconds and the chicken was at least used to teach kids about reading emotions. Telly seemed desperate to shut that 15 up, while Telly pretty much calmly kept stating, "uh oh, Luis. That chicken's starting to get all floppy."

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Good point, because obviously chicken's feelings are way more important than the feelings of a mere number. Makes sense actually because numbers aren't actually supposed to be alive in the first place. Lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
With the money they blew on all that CGI/chromakey ****, they could've erected a brick divider, painted a canvas flat of a park (or even recycled some of the ones they used in the past), threw in some radio-controlled Muppets on trikes and bikes (like they did with Elmo), threw in some kids playing (like they used to) and it wouldn't have looked nearly as jarringly fake as this.