Muppeteer Fran Brill's official retirement

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Kevin Clash is still alive but Jerry Nelson died on 2012. I recently found out on April of 2014 that Kevin was found NOT guilty.
Yes. I know Kevin's still alive. But I've noticed we've lost quite a few puppeteers for various other reasons as well. Plus I recall Jerry had stopped performing his TMS characters a few years before his death.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Muppets Most Wanted was filmed between January and April 2013; season 45 was filmed in the fall of 2013. So, unless Steve had to cancel to do some post-production stuff or dubbing, there's no Disney-related reason for his absence.
January-April was the production dates for the London filming, but they were shooting in Los Angeles in september and October, and just right after that or in the middle they were taping the Lady Gaga special, so Steve was pretty busy at the time..

Oscarfan

Reaction score
AH, I see. Then that might explain it. I still don't see how they couldn't have gotten his voice-over somehow. Billy B. was doing the voice as a separate recording, so it doesn't make sense that they couldn't have gotten Steve at some point after to dub over the lines.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It is weird that Steve is not performing anymore, he did not even announce anything, anyways Fran's characters as I have heard are phased out, I guess, though I do not know what to believe, but if they were phased out already than I doubt there will be much effort in recastings.

SSLFan

Reaction score
anyways Fran's characters as I have heard are phased out, I guess, though I do not know what to believe, but if they were phased out already than I doubt there will be much effort in recastings.
That's sad to hear if true. Especially coming from a show which made a valid effort to increase the number of female characters present. To have 1 of the most prominent in recent years (Zoe) and have the one that paved the way for the other girls (Prairie) be phased out of the show is quite, lack of a better word, dumb.

I hope them being phased out is not true. Especially since Fran played my favorite female muppets on the show.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That's sad to hear if true. Especially coming from a show which made a valid effort to increase the number of female characters present. To have 1 of the most prominent in recent years (Zoe) and have the one that paved the way for the other girls (Prairie) be phased out of the show is quite, lack of a better word, dumb.

I hope them being phased out is not true. Especially since Fran played my favorite female muppets on the show.
That is just what I think, because I have been hearing that her characters have been phased out.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
anyways Fran's characters as I have heard are phased out, I guess, though I do not know what to believe, but if they were phased out already than I doubt there will be much effort in recastings.
Not really. Only Prairie was sort of phased out, but this past year she seemed to be being phased back in. So, who knows what'll come of that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got to admit, I don't really like the sound of some of the members acting like this is really terrible news. Retiring from roles happens, especially since the show's 45 years old and she was there since the beginning. It's a little disappointing, but she's been with the show around as long as Carol. It's unprecedented for a kid's program to last this long with absolutely no signs of slowing down, and the fact we have as many cast members still with the show as long as it is still running is amazing itself.

That said, I don't get the "as long as Prairie Dawn's not replaced by Abby" sentiment. Abby's a completely different character with a completely different schtick. Her job was not to replace characters, but to add a marketable female presence to the show. And yes, it came off a bit forced. But, frankly, so wasn't Zoe. Even down to the making her Orange to compliment Elmo bit. I'd say that Abby is gunning to replace Zoe, with more Elmo and Abby focused episodes. Elmo and Zoe are a much better pair with better chemistry. I ship Zoe X Elmo even though I am incredibly opposed to pairings.

Seriously. Try to watch Elmo in Grouchland and not see there's something between the two. Like in a little kid way.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Retiring from roles happens, especially since the show's 45 years old and she was there since the beginning. It's a little disappointing, but she's been with the show around as long as Carol.
Carol joined the show in 1969, and Fran joined the show in 1970. Just wanted to point that out.