Muppeteer Fran Brill's official retirement

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That's the point I was making. If Ernie has a new performer and Steve isn't listed in the credits, then it's fair to assume that Steve is no longer performing on the show.
Wow, that is pretty sad considering when Steve first joined he wanted to perform on SS, but did he really have any recurring characters besides Ernie, and Kermit in the 90's, and I also wonder why Steve would be busy with Disney since MMW is over. Maybe he is working on a secret new muppet tv show, that would make his departure seem a little less sad.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty sad considering when Steve first joined he wanted to perform on SS, but did he really have any recurring characters besides Ernie, and Kermit in the 90's, and I also wonder why Steve would be busy with Disney since MMW is over. Maybe he is working on a secret new muppet tv show, that would make his departure seem a little less sad.
Yeah, I'm actually really bummed about Steve's departure from SST. At least, he still works with The Muppets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Keep something in mind: SST films their new seasons a year or two in advance prior to their actual broadcasts, and most movies take about the same amount of time to make, so what we're seeing now was pretty much made around the same time MMW was in production, which would explain Steve's absense, does this mean he's gone from the show for good? We don't know just yet, so we really can't assume anything until we know officially otherwise.

Besides, this isn't the first time a character had to be temporarily recast because Steve wasn't available: Johnny T. played Ernie during Season Two of PWMS, and of course there's the infamous Artie Esposito performance of Kermit.

Keep in mind too, these performers work in a similar manner as freelancing, so a lot of it has to do with availability and scheduling.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Keep something in mind: SST films their new seasons a year or two in advance prior to their actual broadcasts, and most movies take about the same amount of time to make, so what we're seeing now was pretty much made around the same time MMW was in production, which would explain Steve's absense, does this mean he's gone from the show for good? We don't know just yet, so we really can't assume anything until we know officially otherwise.

Besides, this isn't the first time a character had to be temporarily recast because Steve wasn't available: Johnny T. played Ernie during Season Two of PWMS, and of course there's the infamous Artie Esposito performance of Kermit.

Keep in mind too, these performers work in a similar manner as freelancing, so a lot of it has to do with availability and scheduling.
Muppets Most Wanted was filmed between January and April 2013; season 45 was filmed in the fall of 2013. So, unless Steve had to cancel to do some post-production stuff or dubbing, there's no Disney-related reason for his absence.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Now, Who is going to take over Betty Lou, Countess Dahling Von Dahling (I know Camille Bonorah play her on the "Twenty Something" sketch), Polly Darton (Again, Camille Bonorah played her in 14 Carrot's Love), Zoe, Prairie Dawn, and other characters???

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I hope Brill had a chance to groom a successor (just as how Jerry Nelson groomed Matt Vogel) before retiring, so someone can take over Zoe, Prairie Dawn and the rest of her characters.
Yes, I know Matt Vogel did the puppetry on Jerry Nelson's characters, But Jerry Nelson continue on doing the voice of those characters, This went on until his death in August 24th, 2012.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Now, Who is going to take over Betty Lou, Countess Dahling Von Dahling (I know Camille Bonorah play her on the "Twenty Something" sketch), Polly Darton (Again, Camille Bonorah played her in 14 Carrot's Love), Zoe, Prairie Dawn, and other characters???
Zoe and Prairie, who knows. But none of those others have been used in a while so who cares?

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Just as long as Prairie Dawn isn't completely replaced by that insipid Abby Cadabby character. She deserves retirement after all the great work she did.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I didn't know she was retiring but that does 'splain why we haven't seen much of Zoe lately or Prairie even. I don't know if they'll be recast or if they'll be retired altogether. :smile::embarrassed::concern:: Or if they'll be retired.

I think they'll definitely keep Zoe since she's always prominent in street scenes, her and her sidekick Rocco of course. Prairie has always been sort of on and off. But we also lost Jerry and Kevin last year and they're characters still live in. Hopefully they'll find a replacement and Fran's characters will be in good hands as well.
Kevin Clash is still alive but Jerry Nelson died on 2012. I recently found out on April of 2014 that Kevin was found NOT guilty.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, I know Matt Vogel did the puppetry on Jerry Nelson's characters, But Jerry Nelson continue on doing the voice of those characters, This went on until his death in August 24th, 2012.
Kevin did some of the physical puppeteering for a while too.