Most Annoying TV Series Ever?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only thing I can say about Spongebob is that, while I can agree the newer episodes lack the magic and fun of the older episodes (like a certain Rhode Island family), at least Nick reruns the older ones just as much as the newer ones. While he's still being completely marketed and broadcast waaaay too many times of the day, TMNT seems to really be creeping up from behind, outnumbering Spongebob in terms of merchandising. YAY for TMNT!

Then again, Nick pulled the same crap with the Rugrats back in the day. The show went on too long and was too adored by the network. Especially since it was only good up until the movie (just like this series). Only thing Spongebob has over Rugrats? No kind of lame teenage spinoff. I didn't exactly hate that one, but when the adults stopped making innuendos that the kids misinterpreted, like most of the humor was gone, man.

Princeton

Reaction score
Then again, Nick pulled the same crap with the Rugrats back in the day. The show went on too long and was too adored by the network. Especially since it was only good up until the movie (just like this series).
The overall quality of Rugrats might have waned slightly because of the first movie, but methinks Rugrats didn't officially 'jump the shark' until Rugrats in Paris.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It really jumped the shark when Arlene Csupo (or is she Clasky?) whined about how she hated the character of Angelica when she was totally being a bossy, obnoxious, brat herself during production of the show. When it started to turn to a Muppet Babies clone, I stopped liking it. We're supposed to get the opposite, seeing the babies pretend from the "real world" perspective, while the adults talk about adult things. The mundane conversations and settings are what made the show for me.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
The only thing I can say about Spongebob is that, while I can agree the newer episodes lack the magic and fun of the older episodes (like a certain Rhode Island family), at least Nick reruns the older ones just as much as the newer ones. While he's still being completely marketed and broadcast waaaay too many times of the day, TMNT seems to really be creeping up from behind, outnumbering Spongebob in terms of merchandising. YAY for TMNT!

Then again, Nick pulled the same crap with the Rugrats back in the day. The show went on too long and was too adored by the network. Especially since it was only good up until the movie (just like this series). Only thing Spongebob has over Rugrats? No kind of lame teenage spinoff. I didn't exactly hate that one, but when the adults stopped making innuendos that the kids misinterpreted, like most of the humor was gone, man.
I agree that it's good that Nick at least shows the classic Spongebob's as much as the newer ones. I honestly haven't seen the new TMNT show (I'm all about the old TMNT show, and worry that watching the new one might ruin it for me, but maybe that's just 90s' kid paranoia).

And, yes, I do remember what they did with Rugrats, but I think it started getting annoyingly babyish before the movie (like, the season right before). It just stopped being fun (and I wouldn't put it past Nick to try and make a Spongebob "teen years" spin-off).

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot of Spongebob detractors honestly forgot when Nick was all about shoving Rugrats in your face. Now, I liked that show to an extent, and it's not even close to my favorite Nicktoon (Ren and Stimpy before the network sunk its claws in, by the way). But once they stripped the adult subcontent to make it more kid friendly, I really could care less about the show. The fact the babies' world was the same as the adults, only with a naive view is what made the show special. Not the fact the babies could talk or were marketable.

And would you believe out of the first three Nick thought Doug would be the breakout hit? It didn't even really see merchandising until Disney got it.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I think Coconut Fred was also the only role that Rob Paulsen truly regretted.
I saw an episode of that and it was as bizarre as Uncle Grandpa. All I remember is that they went to the dentist and there was a cherry named Bingo who was overprotective and had a ton of security in her home and acted like Fluttershy from My Little Pony.
A lot of Spongebob detractors honestly forgot when Nick was all about shoving Rugrats in your face. Now, I liked that show to an extent, and it's not even close to my favorite Nicktoon (Ren and Stimpy before the network sunk its claws in, by the way). But once they stripped the adult subcontent to make it more kid friendly, I really could care less about the show. The fact the babies' world was the same as the adults, only with a naive view is what made the show special. Not the fact the babies could talk or were marketable.

And would you believe out of the first three Nick thought Doug would be the breakout hit? It didn't even really see merchandising until Disney got it.
From preschool until kindergarten, Rugrats was my favorite show. Unlike most shows I liked such as Dora, it was one everyone could enjoy. And speaking of Doug, I read about that fact on TVTropes. I also have a VHS tape downstairs with a One Saturday Morning recording of the show, but it's unfortunately broken. :frown: I wish the good VHS recordings we had didn't suffer that fate or got given away to another kid...

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'll add my bold statement among the others.

Teen Titans:They took such a great comic book premise and reduced it to crappy anime buffoonery with rubber-faced camera mugging and an insufferable themesong.

Eventually Young Justice came along and created an amazing dynamic only to be canceled in favor of Teen Titans Go. It's basically the Powerpuff Girls version of the Teen Titans. Now, don't get me wrong. I love me some Powerpuff Girls, but the style isn't appropriate for this property.

So yeah. Anything on the Cartoon Network having to do with the Teen Titans really blows.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Teen Titans:They took such a great comic book premise and reduced it to crappy anime buffoonery with rubber-faced camera mugging and an insufferable themesong.
You...you watched one episode, didn't you? The further the show went on, the more it tackled some dark topics and the anime outtakes were all but phased out. The final season especially. I get what you're saying, but the old school comic geeks that hated the show wanted yet another Bruce Timmverse show. Though I agree Young Justice is a superior version of the same concept. But to paint the series as a goofy cartoon (especially since what we have now is one) isn't really knowing the series. It got pretty deep. Just avoid most of season 3 (though you'll pass up an episode full of Muppet references)

Eventually Young Justice came along and created an amazing dynamic only to be canceled in favor of Teen Titans Go.
Not really. Young Justice was canned for 2 reasons. Only older audiences outside of the demographic watched the show. Kids weren't watching, kids weren't buying to overpriced, crappy Mattel toys (reason number 2) the network deemed it a failure. And I swear to glob that Greg Weisman is cursed. He's the Charlie Brown of cartoon producers.

It's been confirmed by Paul Dini that CN (in their infinite wisdom) thinks that cartoons are only for boys and only to sell action figures. And when they even manage to get a toy line, they better fly off shelves the second they hit. If girls watch something, it's a failure, even though a lot of the shows that are popular have a huge female audience. Green Lantern never got a toyline, thank Wal*Mart and their movie toys only for that, and was canned at the end of the year. Ditto Beware the Batman which didn't even get a toyline and dared to have a female sidekick. TTG is basically on because it's cheap to produce and kids like it somehow. I'd say the humor of the series is more wanna be Family Guy... and the bad episodes where everyone's inexplicably mean to each other for cheap laughs.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
You...you watched one episode, didn't you? The further the show went on, the more it tackled some dark topics and the anime outtakes were all but phased out. The final season especially. I get what you're saying, but the old school comic geeks that hated the show wanted yet another Bruce Timmverse show. Though I agree Young Justice is a superior version of the same concept. But to paint the series as a goofy cartoon (especially since what we have now is one) isn't really knowing the series. It got pretty deep. Just avoid most of season 3 (though you'll pass up an episode full of Muppet references)

Not really. Young Justice was canned for 2 reasons. Only older audiences outside of the demographic watched the show. Kids weren't watching, kids weren't buying to overpriced, crappy Mattel toys (reason number 2) the network deemed it a failure. And I swear to glob that Greg Weisman is cursed. He's the Charlie Brown of cartoon producers.

It's been confirmed by Paul Dini that CN (in their infinite wisdom) thinks that cartoons are only for boys and only to sell action figures. And when they even manage to get a toy line, they better fly off shelves the second they hit. If girls watch something, it's a failure, even though a lot of the shows that are popular have a huge female audience. Green Lantern never got a toyline, thank Wal*Mart and their movie toys only for that, and was canned at the end of the year. Ditto Beware the Batman which didn't even get a toyline and dared to have a female sidekick. TTG is basically on because it's cheap to produce and kids like it somehow. I'd say the humor of the series is more wanna be Family Guy... and the bad episodes where everyone's inexplicably mean to each other for cheap laughs.
I completely disagree that Teen Titans has any value for me. It's stuck in a crappy animation style with writing for the anime crowd. Eugh! I tried to watch several episodes and no...it's just plain garbage made for toddlers. Dark? Maybe for 8-year-olds and I guess that's your point.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Opinion equals quality. I get it. Seems you're dislike for anime is the main reason you don't like it, and that's fine. That said, I'm sure you're one of those fans that thinks this completely raped the franchise but swoon over Tiny Titans. I know those. Saying this is a baby show is a bit much though.

Anyway, if there's one show that started to slowly frustrate me, I'd say it's Monsters Vs Aliens the series. Now, I do like the show, but I feel that Nick and Dreamworks wrote it off (though not in the way CN writes something off and it disappears forever... they rerun it endlessly on Nicktoons), refused to give it a second season, and they wound up setting some great stuff up, only to let it dangle and go no where. All the while, the series was nothing more than a gag series and the big villain who vowed to destroy the world ended up being no more a menace than clumsy 1980's girl show baddy. Yeah, sure, there were episodes where he actually had some take over the world schemes, but his villainy was reduced to trolling the Monsters.

And you know what the worst part is? This was the franchise's second chance. Kung Fu Panda probably isn't getting another season, but whatever... it's at least getting another movie. And as I always say, whatever happens in the cartoon series of a movie, no matter how cannon the movie is to the cartoon and how superior the concepts are, it all matters nothing and this was just a piece of merchandise, no different from a coloring book. Plus, KFP:LOA obviously takes place in between the first and second film. But MVA is never going to get another film. While it has a cult following, DW didn't make craploads of money from it overseas, and a sequel is considered a waste of money and effort. Their second chance was blown, and the episodes are formuliac involving alien technology that Coverton uses to troll instead of for evil, and he's not even vanquished by the end of the series. On the plus side, unlike Penguins of Madagascar, they actually showed all the episodes in one year.

I saw an episode of that and it was as bizarre as Uncle Grandpa. All I remember is that they went to the dentist and there was a cherry named Bingo who was overprotective and had a ton of security in her home and acted like Fluttershy from My Little Pony.
UG is a special show that delights in its own weirdness. It kinda roped it in second season, but it was delightfully madcap if you really like abstract, wacky animation. Coconut Fred was a cash grab. Sure, the idea of having reality warping imagination that drones on the nerves of unhappy people has merit, but the show basically turns into a lame Spongebob with fruit and reality warping. Every character's an expy, and there's essentially 2 Patricks. Even the worst of the new Spongebobs were funnier and more clever than that was. Plus, even though there was some top notch Canadian voice talent, the voice acting was grating. Even from Rob himself, and I couldn't be a bigger fan.