Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4505 - Enthusiastic Penelope Penguin

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree, this season missed out on a big anniversary celebration. And with all the statistics (odd-numbered anniversaries get specials and whatnot). But, I think laying low this year is only fair, so that when the 50th rolls in, it'll trump every anniversary yet and be the biggest blowout imaginable (hopefully).
Yeah, but that really didn't stop them from celebrating number 35. We haven't had a TV special since 35, and even then it was just an episode of the show done in a retrospective. The first episode of season 40 was supposed to premiere in primetime, but I don't think a single market actually carried it (don't get me into a pledge month/Dr. Wayne Dyer rant). While there are a couple small events, they just aren't seizing the opportunity for something big. Not even in merchandise, which is baffling considering how much of their budget comes from merchandising sales. Though they do have some special figures to make if you have a 3-D printer.

Sure, the 50th will be here before you know it, and that's an opportune time to do something special. But they didn't even change the theme song. It still has that embarrassing Homunculus Zoe in the opening.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So, side note, are they trying to fit a song into every episode now? I know it didn't use to be that way, but it seems lately they are really forcing these songs in. Some of them are welcome ("Color of Me," I'm looking at you.) But this one and a few others in these past few seasons just seem incredibly unnecessary.
I have noticed an increase in songs during the street stories in the past few years. However, I'd rather one big song than them doing the same song over and over during the episode (the knights one, the happy scientists one)

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, I'd rather one big song than them doing the same song over and over during the episode (the knights one, the happy scientists one)

Those little bits tend to get very annoying after a while. At least with the scientist one, that was kinda the point when Telly was chucking a spaz.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Penelope was a tad bit much as everybody's said, but she's nice enough. The only part that really annoyed me about her was when she ate everybody's ice cream.

The Twilight spoof was really funny though, "Short Breadward!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have only two things I want to say (and don't worry, I'll spare everyone my ongoing complaints about the unnecessarily excessive use of chromakey).

1. Penelope may just be one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever seen in anything in a long time; I know her intentions are good and she just wants to make new friends, but gah, she really got on my nerves.

2. I loved the Crumby Pictures spoof of TWILIGHT; though Belly's hair reminds me of all the trouble I had trying to find the hair I wanted for Easter Egg when I first built her years ago and had to settle with something less desirable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
1. Penelope may just be one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever seen in anything in a long time; I know her intentions are good and she just wants to make new friends, but gah, she really got on my nerves.
On the one hand, I have to say there are those people who try too hard to make friends, like Penelope. This is a good lesson, actually. A more realistic version of the lame "just be yourself" thing that never works in real life. It's kind of a family unfriendly aesop, but "tone yourself down so you don't alienate people" is something everyone should learn.

But the character.... abrasive. Rodeo Rosie level. The character couldn't have been more annoying if Joey was performing it. If this is the last we see of Penelope Penguin, it's still too much.

dinoboy

Reaction score
I've seen a few of the new episodes of the show, and truthfully, I haven't seen anything much new, except a few new clips, but mostly they still have some of the same episodes of Flying Fairy School, Murry Has a Little Lamb. The Street hasn't changed much since everything was updated with the new season. I would've thought that with the new season, they would've come up with a new and different intro, it still looks all the same to me. The show still has the usual parodies of Cookie Monster, and such, and some of them either I don't get it, or it's not funny. I haven't seen Maria on the show, as I've also noticed the new cast. I really miss seeing her on the show sometimes. At least Hooper's Store is still in business and run by Chris, but I remember when it was run by Allen. I guess that I haven't watched the show as it doesn't appeal to me anymore and sometimes doesn't have a good storyline for each episode.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Here's the whole show for people who missed it. You better watch it while you can. SW will take this down if they see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something I just noticed. With a couple exceptions, the skits were uploaded officially to Youtube for the most part after they aired. Maybe SW realized they were giving out the best parts before they aired and meant that there was no reason for anyone to watch the show proper as a result?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, they only upload 4 bits a week from the new shows, so they have enough material to last them until the next new episodes air.