Questions about anything

Schfifty

Reaction score
I can't say I much care for that. There's nothing wrong with a show running for an hour a day... but there is with them running 4 hours a day on the same 2 hours (one late, one early). And what really sucks is the lack of diversity in their programming. I dearly love Chowder, but I've seen the entire series like 3 times in a month period. And months ago, at least they had an action block with Ben Ten and the 00's Teen Titans series. Now it's just like five shows on a loop. Thankfully the weekends have a block of older CN shows... which they rerun the exact same episodes two times a day.
And that's why I much often prefer half-hour programming over hour-long programming when it comes to channels like CN and Boomerang. I mean, take a look at Cartoon Network's schedule for this Saturday. From 7:30am (CDT) until 5:00 pm, there are only four shows scheduled over the 9½ hours (save for Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring at 10:30): Clarence (7:30-8:30; 12:00-1:00), Gumball (8:30-9:30; 1:00-2:00), Teen Titans Go! (9:30-10:30; 2:00-3:30) and Adventure Time (3:30-5:00). Where's the diversity?

And on the same subject, another question I have to ask...why don't they air blocks on Saturday afternoons anymore like they used to?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't say I much care for that. There's nothing wrong with a show running for an hour a day... but there is with them running 4 hours a day on the same 2 hours (one late, one early).
Yeah, I started to lose interest in Nick at Nite around 2004 when they seemed to only have three or four shows and just replayed them back-to-back several times a night.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And that's why I much often prefer half-hour programming over hour-long programming when it comes to channels like CN and Boomerang. I mean, take a look at Cartoon Network's schedule for this Saturday. From 7:30am (CDT) until 5:00 pm, there are only four shows scheduled over the 9½ hours (save for Tom and Jerry: The Magic Ring at 10:30): Clarence (7:30-8:30; 12:00-1:00), Gumball (8:30-9:30; 1:00-2:00), Teen Titans Go! (9:30-10:30; 2:00-3:30) and Adventure Time (3:30-5:00). Where's the diversity?
I don't like that either, and it seems to be partially a summer thing, but then it's not... I mean, Sonic Boom's supposed to premiere on the network at some point so they actually have other programs in the pipeline. On the other hand, at least Annoying Orange or live action drivel (minus movies) have been banished from the network. Johnny Test, unfortunately, is still there. It's cheapness and the fact kids are barely watching television anymore. Honestly, I'm more annoyed that AS starts at 8 with their mildest program (KOTH), and Family Guy reruns the same episodes at 3 AM as it does 11PM. So far, the only programming block that has different shows is Toonami. They only show things a half an hour per show, even hits like Attack on Titan and Space Dandy. Closest thing they have to the rest of the schedule is having 2 different Naruto shows.

But Nicktoons is worse. Much, much, much worse. Marathons of Kung Fu Panda after 2 hour blocks. Same deal with Monsters VS Aliens even though they JUST cancelled that show. To make matters worse, FOP runs on the network with the same five episodes over and over. And I still would rather that than their new Nick Sports block, which features their two worst shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Are there any websites like The Muppet Mindset and The Mickey Mindset, where in addition to articles from the webmasters, the fans can also send in articles? That seems like a concept that should catch on with other fanbases. I'd like to see a Looney Tunes website like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone has to have pointed this out somewhere, but it just hit me...

Smurfs don't reproduce errrr... they don't reproduce that way. In their respective fiction, they're brought by storks, or made via magic clay (what Gargamel did). It's pretty obvious, as they have no women in their ranks until Smurfette (making that granny Smurf bit confusing, thanks Hanna Barbera and presumably the network).

So my question is, how come the Smurfs are so smitten with Smurfette if they... well... can't what men and women do that's essentially the reason for attraction? I know the character was meant as some sort of slightly misogynistic satire, but the logic of a nonreproducing all male (by technical means) society being that attracted to something that frankly doesn't or shouldn't exist (meaning Gargamel is completely clueless to Smurfs and just lucked the heck out) is a might strange. Perhaps it's the novelty of a "female" Smurf?

(and for the record, I personally believe that Smurfs...well.. let's just say they have something in common with Ken dolls)

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the Smurfs can have sex, but not for baby-making. Same reason why the Crystal Gems eat: purely for pleasure, rather than nourishment.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmm... actually, now that I think about it, in a society that's male gender neutral, their only knowledge of what females are comes from the humans. So I guess they're just doing what they know from them.

Still, weird little unintended contradiction. Smurfette only exists, by all means, as a fair at the time European satirical view (the Smurf comics often are, something that didn't translate to the cartoon series, though sometimes there was). And by all means, Smurfette exists to do girl things. That's why the Smurflings made Sassette. She had no one else to relate to.

But by all logical means, it renders all College level/Robot Chicken-esque Smurf sex jokes (and by extension Vanity gay jokes) kinda...well... odd.

Still think they're probably smooth though. And I don't mean J.B. Smoov as Hackus either.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Or maybe the smurfs are all attracted to Smurfette without the attraction being for sexual reasons (I know, hard to believe...).

But yeah, I was going to also say that just because Smurf women presumably can't have babies doesn't mean that Smurfs can't mate (I bet that would be any teenage males dream, to have no consequences involving pregnancy).

Anybody have any idea if the Family Guy "Simpsons Guy" episode will get it's own DVD release, like the Star Wars parody episodes, Road to North Pole, and that unaired episode? Or if it will be a bonus feature on a Simpsons DVD set (probably the 26th season set, which means we have almost 11 years before we know for sure).