Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Drtooth

Reaction score
I appreciate what they were trying to do with this, making it like MahNa MahNa, almost to the point where it seems like a self parody (the Jim Henson hippy Muppet trying to keep the others on cue). It's cool, but seems like one of those times where the sketch is one of legend and the reality doesn't measure up to the fantasy. Seems like if this was performed on The Muppet Show, they really would have done something fun with it.

The Wanda the Witch segue completely ruins the whole thing, and is in place of something that could have been much funnier to end the skit on.

But a great find none the less.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Holy crap on a stick. I only had the vaguest of recollections when this originally aired (how much do YOU remember from before your second birthday?) But wonderful to see again after 45 years. I'm still holding out hope for someone to unearth "Up Up and Away". In English.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing the Yellow Submarine video on-line about five years ago. It seems this is gone now. Does anyone have this video or a link?

It's great to see the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sketch again. It's been decades since I've seen this in the 70's. Makes me wonder what else this user has. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's great to see the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sketch again. It's been decades since I've seen this in the 70's. Makes me wonder what else this user has. :wink:
Considering that it's a unlisted video, and going to the user's main page gets a blank account, that would take some serious sleuthing to gather what else that member has, if any. Considering the secrecy of the account and video upload, it makes you wonder how this person even got it in the first place. And in good quality too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's cool, but seems like one of those times where the sketch is one of legend and the reality doesn't measure up to the fantasy.
I've wondered that about certain "holy grail" clips. Back when Henson #1 was unavailable to us, I had wondered if that one wouldn't be that great, but it turned out to be one of my top five favorite "baker films". And when I finally saw the original People in Your Neighborhood (with a postman and fireman) it turned out great. But on the other hand, the formerly rare "Seven Monsters" (though I don't know if that was a big holy grail to us, though it was to me) and "Cracks" are just okay for the most part. But I feel like this particular segment is amazing. The colorful diamonds was something I wasn't expecting (previously there had been a black and white image for this segment, which didn't have it... In fact, I didn't realize this segment used a black background instead of the usual first season beige background). It's probably more simple than I'm thinking, but I'm sure it's something Jim was proud of.

Considering that it's a unlisted video, and going to the user's main page gets a blank account, that would take some serious sleuthing to gather what else that member has, if any. Considering the secrecy of the account and video upload, it makes you wonder how this person even got it in the first place. And in good quality too.
I wonder if it might be the same person who obtained the rare "Cracks" segment. Or maybe an archivist at Sesame Workshop. I doubt it's Ryan from Tough Pigs though I know he does work for Sesame Workshop. I had wondered if maybe it was Michael Davis, since in the sources section of Street Gang he says that Sesame Workshop made him DVD copies of the first five episodes (this segment appeared in episode 3). But we might never know.

Of course, considering it's unlisted, I wonder how it was found out about. I found out about this being online after seeing it shared on both the Muppet Wiki and Tough Pigs facebook pages. I wonder why it had to be unlisted anyway... It's not like Sesame Street clips normally get taken down (unless maybe the clip appeared in the 20th anniversary special, or if it's a full episode).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wonder if it might be the same person who obtained the rare "Cracks" segment. Or maybe an archivist at Sesame Workshop. I doubt it's Ryan from Tough Pigs though I know he does work for Sesame Workshop. I had wondered if maybe it was Michael Davis, since in the sources section of Street Gang he says that Sesame Workshop made him DVD copies of the first five episodes (this segment appeared in episode 3). But we might never know.

Of course, considering it's unlisted, I wonder how it was found out about. I found out about this being online after seeing it shared on both the Muppet Wiki and Tough Pigs facebook pages. I wonder why it had to be unlisted anyway... It's not like Sesame Street clips normally get taken down (unless maybe the clip appeared in the 20th anniversary special, or if it's a full episode).
I can assure you it's not the same person.

(BTW, Joe from TP works at Sesame Workshop, not Ryan).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cracks amazingly fell into our laps. There was an intense search for such a skit, even going as far as contacting an animator who was rumored to have worked on it, only to find out he didn't.

Some of these mysteriously manged to pop up. Me? I'm still looking for the uncut "Surprise" song with the Proto-monotones in English. Even the chopped up Hebrew one is no longer available.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Wanda the Witch segue completely ruins the whole thing, and is in place of something that could have been much funnier to end the skit on.
I knew that Wanda the Witch was somehow involved in this. When Muppet Wiki first compiled episode guides taken from CTW Archives material, the page for the first five episodes included descriptions from detailed program guides (I think the first week of shows was the only ones from the first season that CTW Archives has program guides for, either that or the contributor has them), and the page for episode 3 initially mentioned Wanda somehow being connected to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. I was wondering if she actually appeared in the segment or if (as it turns out) the segment was merely introduced at the end.

This segment could easily be shown with the ending cut, though. As the song ends, we can hear the music fading a bit as it ends. I don't think that's normal for the show to have the music sound like it's fading and then continue having dialogue.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's funny actually. They dumped those skit to skit connections early on in the show (barring ones in later episodes that have something to do with the plot), and then they brought them back via the Murray tune ins.

Still, that's one of the old things I'm glad they've done away with in the early days. Instead of ending on a gag here, they essentially say "HEY! Wanda the witch!" It's a stretch and not funny. I wonder why Jim didn't perfect this version for any TV show appearances or The Muppet Show. It has potential to be something much wackier. Imagine Robin singing this and a bunch of Monsters pop up during the chorus, leaving him completely confused. I could totally picture that.