The Steven Universe thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
The newest episode was really sweet. Also really freaky seeing Amethyst mutate horrifically after getting her gem cracked. Imagine the same happening to Steven! :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've noticed with the past few episodes they start off mundane or silly, and then halfway through it manages to become an emotional WHAM episode. This one was the biggest. We found out the Gems' greatest weakness after a season of saying how they're immortal via their gems (especially the Sword episode), and Steven's healing spit curing eye sight. And next week's episode looks like some very important events are going to shape up. I'm very excited with the direction the show's getting into.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... When the promo for last week kept using the clipquote of Amethyst saying now she has a googly eye, all I could think of was...

:insatiable: singing:
"She not like the other guy.
Cause now she got a googly eye.
And when she hear that bugling sound.
She just got to google around."

As for the half-hour special... The mirror, sooo knew it was a trapped entity wanting to be released when it kept screaming at the mention of the other Gems. Usually, those entities are evil, this one was misunderstood. And it was another Gem! Lapislazuli... Makes you wonder if there are other Gem characters to come later, and then the potential fused Gems as well. And what does this mean for the established trio? To quote Garnet, we'll have to wait and see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm thinking that Lapis will become a breakout fandom character. That's fairly obvious.

I'm glad that after a season of buildups, we finally get to see a major event happening in the show that utilizes what Steven has managed to get out of his powers so far. Not that the slice of life gone awry stuff wasn't great. That's what I appreciated about the show. A Magic Girl super hero show that focuses on the little brother. But I've been waiting to see him become a hero since the beginning and he's managed to out hero the Crystal Gems. He really is the son of Rose Quartz.

Nice to see they've used their first 2 part episode well.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I enjoyed both episodes, as always, but it was certainly a different tone from what we're normally used to. Sure, as @Drtooth has pointed out, the episodes have gotten to a pattern of being cutesy, fun and colourful for the first bit then turning quite dark in the next bit. However, those episodes still ended on a happy ending or, at worst, there was a small glimmer of hope or Steven laughed it off like 'haha that was so weird that I saw myself die.' In Mirror Gem, it turned eerily frightening in a few seconds. The Gems reactions, epspecially Garnet's, was so unexpected. We as the audence were on the same page as Steven. We didn't know why they were acting the way they were, all defensive and 'don't make me take it from you', something we had never seen before. And even after we found out about Lapis Lazuli we were still left in the dark. ****, even after Ocean Gem a lot of things are still vague. This seems to imply strongly that the Gems, the good ones we've got to know and love throughout the show, are perhaps not as heroic as we thought they were.

I hope they explore more of this in the next coming episodes/season. This world they've created got a whole lot more interesting other than being a cute, funny show that channels a lot of anime 90s nostalgia.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show is one of slow build up and big pay off. You can tell the show runners don't want to put too much out there at once, and want to put subtle hints that you have to pay attention to. This episode was foreshadowed pretty cryptically a few episodes prior with the cyclops ant thing. Steven saw the potential goodness of the creature when the Gems wanted to contain it. While well meaning, the Gems are pretty much clueless and lacking guidance in Rose's absence. Meanwhile, Steven is much more off beat, and in those two episodes particularly managed to solve the problem though less conventional means. Thus proving he's his mother's son, and he seems to share his characteristics unknowingly. His gem power's even a shield. The sole defensive weapon of the Gems.

You look at some of the past episodes... we learn about broken gems and Steven's healing powers. Clearly intended to build up something bigger at some point. Makes you wonder what other small instances we're all going to have to pay attention to on the next viewing of the previous episodes.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I have a feeling we'll see more Crystal Gems along the way once the 2nd season arrives. I also hope to see Pearl and Garnet's fusion transformation, too, which I imagine would be the most stable and effective seeing how it combines Garnet's brute strength with Pearl's agility and focus.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I can see why the comic book adaption focuses on shorter stories (don't actually have any of them, but I flipped through)... they'd be afraid to wind up contradicting something that would happen on the show. The Adventure Time writers try very hard not to do that, even though they run into some Lemongrab problems. Meanwhile, Regular Show's comics still have Mordecai and Margarete as a couple.

I also hope to see Pearl and Garnet's fusion transformation, too, which I imagine would be the most stable and effective seeing how it combines Garnet's brute strength with Pearl's agility and focus.
That's one of the things I look forward to seeing most. Only thing else I'd like to see is a three way fusion.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
In today's new episode, we got another question answered. Remember when we were speculating about fusions after Sugilite's debut? Well, because Connie's parents demanded to have dinner with "both" of Steven's parents, he brought his dad... And the mega fusion of all three gems as a female triple-bodied Geryonesque character named Alexandrite. The only fusion left now is Garnet+Pearl.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I sort of like how mundane and anti-climactic the reveal was. I also like how it's obvious that all three together have such clashing personalities that they can't even hold the fusion together correctly until Steve was in trouble.