Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4503 - Proud to Be Me

beakerboy12

Reaction score
This episode was a nice one. I'm not gonna get into all this "political correctness gone mad" stuff, but I really enjoy them taking this semi-risk and telling a meaningful story. Plus, Segi is a great character who I'm glad to see starring (nevertheless, appearing) in a street story of her own. I like that we finally have some real AM representation after a long time.

Lupita's word of the day on skin was really good, too, and I loved they way they (without forcing it) kept the theme going for the entire episode.

Again, I find the Murray segments to be a big improvement this season and the "What Makes You Special?" thing really worked. Just my thoughts...

I know it is a rerun sketch, but I LOVE "Why Do I Love Y." I don't know why (no pun intended). I love the animation style they take with that (the angular feel and whatnot (I believe the guys behind "Wow! Wow! Wubzy!" on Nick did this short)) and the song is a top-notch tune.

"Spanish Me, English Me" is a neat little skit and it I too was surprised to learn it was Matt Vogel. Just another showcase of his versatility as a Muppet performer. :sing::batty::fishy::crazy:

Above all, wonderful Elmo the Musical this time. I love the amount of Muppet animals used in this and for an 11-minute segment and a CGI character the Blob was a fairly decent villain. Oh, and, in regards to the "young grasshopper" thing... I liked it. :embarrassed:

Altogether, I thought it was a great episode. Maybe this'll show the good guys at Sesame Street to take a few more risks with their street stories for more meaningful topics. And also MORE SEGI! That is all...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I liked "Spanish Me, English Me", mainly for the fact that it was an AM segment that wasn't a spoof. We haven't had one of those since, coincidentally, "I Love My Hair".

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I liked "Spanish Me, English Me", mainly for the fact that it was an AM segment that wasn't a spoof. We haven't had one of those since, coincidentally, "I Love My Hair".
I wholeheartedly agree. I think we've been getting an influx of monsters and not enough regular character (not parodical) AMs. I'm happy Segi got a starring street story mainly since we haven't seen many AMs interacting about the street. Now, with Segi, we might have a new Farley/Prairie Dawn/Betty Lou-type character, which I've been wanting for a while.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know it is a rerun sketch, but I LOVE "Why Do I Love Y." I don't know why (no pun intended). I love the animation style they take with that (the angular feel and whatnot (I believe the guys behind "Wow! Wow! Wubzy!" on Nick did this short)) and the song is a top-notch tune.
You mean Bob Boyle. Among his credits are Fairly Oddparents (where Elmer's Boil is named Bob after him) and he's currently working on Clarence (and since the creator of that one was fired for inappropriate conduct, I'm sure Bob will take on more of that show).

I really like his contributions to Sesame Street. They're much more sly than some of the other letter and number segments we've seen. Gotta love how dejected the Y was when they mentioned that if you take the bottom away it's a V.

These kinds of sketches remind me of the earlier skits from the late 70's and early 80's where only random AM's did the singing, instead of major characters. It's a nice change of pace, especially when parody and celebrity stuff rules the show now.

As for the political correctness thing... I have to admit, the logic of the story is a bit... off. I don't think I'd ever hear of someone passing up a bear because it was too brown. Too childish, too feminine, not a Transformer or Ninja Turtle (the most logical case, IMO). But the too brown thing seemed to be...strange to say the least. I'm poking holes in logic, and it's easily excused to further the plot. I just think there should have been a slightly better way to introduce racism induced low self esteem. But I'm glad they tackled that issue. At least it wasn't another nature guessing game. Those were the worst.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The similarities are that he's out of the set the main series is shot in and in the real world interacting with real people and things, and pretty much kept to his own vignettes.
I guess you're right. I still don't really consider them that alike personally.

Luke kun

Reaction score
I saw the Spanish Me/English Me song, the number 9 segments, and the beginning of the ETM before I left for school (I'm actually 13, I joked about being born in '78. I'm sorry.)

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Apparently, the kid with the puppet is a protégé of Joey just like Tau Bennet was a protégé of Kevin. As you'll learn here: