How to Clean Vintage SST Plushes

bigbrownmonster

Reaction score
hi,

i got a couple of vintage sesame street plushes of an auction site and they need some cleaning before i let my kid play with them.

i suppose putting them into the washing machine is no go...bert has stitches and holes on his clothes and kermit has light stains and both smell a bit.

can anyone suggest how to go about it?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
hi,

i got a couple of vintage sesame street plushes of an auction site and they need some cleaning before i let my kid play with them.

i suppose putting them into the washing machine is no go...bert has stitches and holes on his clothes and kermit has light stains and both smell a bit.

can anyone suggest how to go about it?
I have very old Sesame dolls that I just ran through the washing machine on a few cycles. Obviously, the wash won't fix any holes, but will certainly get rid of the smell and possibly some of the stains.

bigbrownmonster

Reaction score
I'd just given them a 'powder (soda bicarbonate) bath'
but it had only taken off dome of the smell n they are now rather powdery. :frown: think will have to dust them off more later.
I'd done this after reading some info online about not using the washing machine for old plushes so how else should I clean them?

Muppet are fp Kermit 850 and Bert (the one with the soft plastic head and hand. Muppet Inc). Bert's shirts seams are very weak I doubt it can withstand much wash.:sympathy:

Luke kun

Reaction score
Muppet are fp Kermit 850 and Bert (the one with the soft plastic head and hand. Muppet Inc). Bert's shirts seams are very weak I doubt it can withstand much wash.:sympathy:
I have that Bert! :smile:

I have very old Sesame dolls that I just ran through the washing machine on a few cycles. Obviously, the wash won't fix any holes, but will certainly get rid of the smell and possibly some of the stains.
Which Sesame dolls do you have? :confused:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have that Bert! :smile:

Which Sesame dolls do you have? :confused:
I still have my original Fisher Price Bert and Ernie dolls from the 70s, and my Muppet Show Kermit with the velcro hands. I USED to also own an original Cookie Monster, Herry Monster and Super Grover dolls that I stupidly tossed many years ago.