Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4502 - Bert's Training Wheels

Drtooth

Reaction score
Count: Elmo's song was about growing up with a montage of little kids engaging in new activities.

Anyway, I'm not going to give anything but encouragement for the new Ernie puppeteer. It sounds a bit rough, but that's how these recasts usually start out. If recasting the character means we'll see more of Ernie and Bert on the show, I'm all for it. I'm not going to guess when these were taped and how they conflicted with MMW if any, but we've got Ernie back on the show in an actual story not made specifically for the foreign market. Nothing wrong with that.

Is Bert supposed to represent an adult? I honestly don't know anymore. We have two episodes this season: one where Bert needs training wheels, and another where Ernie keeps stealing Bert's smart phone. What? I don't understand.
It's always been ambiguous. Whatever the gag is, they'll play either angle. Keep in mind, also, some adults didn't learn to ride bikes when they were younger. So it still works both ways.

As for the episode, the flow was much better that they had filmed the Murray School breaks this time, rather than shoving ones in to re-purpose an older Murray Had a Little Lamb skit.

The street story was quite good, and much stronger than yesterday. We had a character piece, and the grand return of Luis as a repairman. A Bike shop is the perfect medium between outdated Fix it Shop and something more contemporary. I don't know what to make of the CGI background bits. They're alright, I guess. They fill in more atmosphere.

Loved Power of Yet. Love that singer's awesome Kuwabara hair cut. More Bert in the episode=always win. Anyone else get the amazing joke they tossed in with Big Bird? Wearing a Larry Bird jersey (number, color and everything)? Wonder if Carol is a Celtics fan.

And the Let's Go Driving bit was pretty good too. Nice to see this had more new footage outside of segments than yesterday. Couldn't even tell if that was Kevin or Ryan's Elmo almost.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, a new Elmo song about kids growing up. Well, in my defense, the lyrics weren't that understandable. And it aired immediately after the song "A Monster Ate My Red Two", so I was obviously confused as it was the first time hearing that song. MCR should really play more songs from the last three seasons other than just "Lever Lovers".

And I'll agree with the concensus—heh, try that as a Word on the Street Sesame Workshop—that if we can get more Bert and Ernie into the actual street stories it's good... Though Ernie's voice actor needs to work on perfecting the voice. It reminds me think of Richard Jeni's bit from Dr. Katz where he tries to imitate Kermit.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It seems weird that all of Ernie's speaking parts were dubbed over by whoever did the final version. There's no way they could've gotten a recording from Steve? It slightly bothers me, but I guess I'll live with it. But, it's hard to have an E&B rapport when only one half can do the talking.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if Ernie is completely recast now, or if it's more of a Frank Oz situation, where the new performer does Ernie whenever Steve isn't available, but Steve does perform when he is available (of course, at first David Rudman and Eric Jacobson were just supposed to perform Frank Oz's characters when he was unavailable, but that has allowed them to perform so much that Frank seems more like the occasional performer now, especially since he hasn't performed Cookie or Bert in so many years).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also, if you kept a sharp eye on the CGI city, Forgetful Jones walked through the park at one point.

EDIT: Fun fact thing - some of the people used in the CGI city were from the ETM Repair Monster bit, which was shown later in the episode. "Fun" Fact!

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems weird that all of Ernie's speaking parts were dubbed over by whoever did the final version. There's no way they could've gotten a recording from Steve? It slightly bothers me, but I guess I'll live with it. But, it's hard to have an E&B rapport when only one half can do the talking.
That was off. Is Billy a puppeteer or just a voice actor? I noticed at the beginning Ernie's puppetering was a bit off sync.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was off. Is Billy a puppeteer or just a voice actor? I noticed at the beginning Ernie's puppetering was a bit off sync.
Apparently, he's a puppeteer as well, but it was clearly a dub job being done in the episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait a few days and the half hour version will be on. Those are better for seeing the street story at least.

Apparently, he's a puppeteer as well, but it was clearly a dub job being done in the episode.
Strange that it was, though.

Now, while I can't say I hate the CGI backdrop in the far background, there's just something about the overall look the past couple seasons that's odd. Like the camera filters used make it look almost filmed, but not quite filmed. There's a weird quality to the picture that seems off. Maybe if I had an HD TV or something it wouldn't look a little off. But this episode really had it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Now, while I can't say I hate the CGI backdrop in the far background, there's just something about the overall look the past couple seasons that's odd. Like the camera filters used make it look almost filmed, but not quite filmed. There's a weird quality to the picture that seems off. Maybe if I had an HD TV or something it wouldn't look a little off. But this episode really had it.
They've filming at a different frame rate since season 43, which is why it has a "film" look to it. It also might be the editing software they're using too/how their exporting the shows. The clips and everything look better online, but for some reason, they look odder on TV. I don't know why. I definitely noticed it too.