Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While we still don't know what the main content of Elmo's Super Numbers is (besides an extended version of the Numericon street story), this would have been an ideal opportunity to include various parody segments related to the kinds of franchises one would expect to see at Comic Con or a similar convention. Maybe an honorary follow-up to Best of Sesame Street Spoofs! I can't think of many classic clips that spoofed the kinds of franchises I'd expect to see at a convention like that (there's the original Spaceship Surprise, and Miami Mice...), but it could be filled with stuff like Cookie's Crumby Pictures (I'd pick Star S'mores as the segment to include), Super Grover 2.0, and Super Morphin' Mega Monsters.

Well, we still have nearly half a month before it comes out. I hope Sesame Workshop uploads the trailer for this soon.

Luke kun

Reaction score
From my understanding, Sony didn't want to use that division of the company anymore for home video distribution. But then the brandname became re-used for Sony's family-oriented releases.

I'm personally excited about Warner Home Video having the rights to the Sesame Street titles. For what it's worth, they do put some reasonable DVD's out (at least the ones I have) so I trust them with the Sesame Street properties. Besides, don't doubt an Old School Vol. 3, WHV is king when it comes to apparently children's oriented box sets.
Sony Wonder distributed the Mega Man cartoon on VHS. I wonder if they distributed the episode "Bro Bots" on VHS?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well I got Elmo's Super Numbers this morning and am watching it right now. It has the Numeric Con street story intercut with number segments. So far, most of the segments aren't exactly memorable (there are exceptions, like the 1 Limeric sung by Christopher Cerf). So far no Muppet number inserts and no classic clips (the earliest on there is from the early 1990s), but maybe there'll be some pleasant surprises later. Of course so far I also haven't noticed anything that has been released on video already either.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the Numeric Con street story was great, but very few of the inserts were. There was only one Muppet insert, with a fish counting to five (interestingly, it's the only Muppet clip that shows up on sesamestreet.org in a search for "Henson", but Jim Henson is not credited for performing, writing, directing, or anything in this video, so I guess he wasn't involved in this clip). There were some good inserts, but most of them forgetable. It does have a few recurring number segments like a Milo counting segment (for 8), but no baker, Jazz Numbers, Mad Painter, or Pinball Number Count.

Each number from 1-10 is represented with a few inserts. At times there is a somewhat-cool transition from widescreen-to-full frame segments, with the sides squeezing in and out.

I don't think any of the inserts have been released on other videos, though there is a segment with 8 apples on a tree that I feel has been released (I'm thinking it might be in one of the CD-roms that came with a Play With me Sesame release, but I can't remember off-hand). Seems like a random selection of number segments. I wonder if Sesame Workshop just wanted to get those on video and out of the way (another step towards completism).

The Henry Cavil segment listed is a bonus clip as well (which was not mentioned on Muppet Wiki until today).

Hmm, so now we don't know anything about the next Sesame Street DVD release (I wouldn't be surprised if it was a wide release of Elmo the Musical 2, or a new "...and Friends" release). Since Warner Home Video began releasing Sesame DVDs we have not gotten any Sesame Street releases in December, and usually we have gotten announcements two months in advance, so I guess there won't be anything in November.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno, but it's a moot point. Discotek is supposedly going to release the whole series at some point. I do remember Robosauras Park being released on VHS... I don't think they ever got to the second season episodes, though. Only 3 VHS were produced, all season 1. Just checked it out for you.

Edit... there were Four VHS tapes listed on this page... no Bro Bots.

Last edited:

Luke kun

Reaction score
I dunno, but it's a moot point. Discotek is supposedly going to release the whole series at some point. I do remember Robosauras Park being released on VHS... I don't think they ever got to the second season episodes, though. Only 3 VHS were produced, all season 1. Just checked it out for you.

Edit... there were Four VHS tapes listed on this page... no Bro Bots.
I can now imagine Sony Wonder evicting the Mega Man series and giving it to Discotek and singing "M is for moving, and U is for Uhaul. Look out kids, here comes the wrecking ball!". Then a wrecking ball smashes the VHS tapes.

So were they all Season 1?

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is completely off topic, but I have to make corrections.

Sony Wonder distributed 4 VHS full of all season 1 episodes. They disappeared as quickly as they came. The show was still in production when they were released. The rights to home media was long gone by the time DVD's started coming around. Almost a decade later, well after the series rights were gone, ADV got the rights and released the series in 2 volumes. Those rights expired quite a while ago and it ADV restructured completely. Discotek recently got the rights to the series (like barely a year ago). I don't know if it's out yet or not.

So, essentially Sony Wonder washed their hands of the license almost 20 years ago.

Luke kun

Reaction score
This is completely off topic, but I have to make corrections.

Sony Wonder distributed 4 VHS full of all season 1 episodes. They disappeared as quickly as they came. The show was still in production when they were released. The rights to home media was long gone by the time DVD's started coming around. Almost a decade later, well after the series rights were gone, ADV got the rights and released the series in 2 volumes. Those rights expired quite a while ago and it ADV restructured completely. Discotek recently got the rights to the series (like barely a year ago). I don't know if it's out yet or not.

So, essentially Sony Wonder washed their hands of the license almost 20 years ago.
I hope the wrecking ball smashed the ADV DVDs. Also, my favorite episode is on one of those tapes! :smile::excited:

"Ow, ow, ow." - Mega Man :fanatic: