The closing themes of Sesame Street

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Anybody remember the bridge part that goes:

"It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide to happy people like youu
What a wonderful, What a beautiful--" (Sunny days...)
Yup. I remember Gladys Knight and the Pips sang the theme song for the Season 20 episode.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I think the Barkley ending was the one that was used the longest (so far). It was used from 1978-1992. If they continue to use the one that replaced it, with the dancing buildings and statue of liberty, it will hold the record. The only difference is, it's been shortened.
And sometimes when the Friday episode is set at night, They would nighttime scenes.

Garrett

Reaction score
What closing theme was used in Episode 3134?

A. The calypso one from Episode 3120
B. The calypso one from Seasons 25-26 and Episode 3426

Last edited:

Garrett

Reaction score
3117 was the first episode that had the new calypso music. 3118 had the original. 3119 and 3120 both had the calypso music. 3121 had the original. 3122 actually didn't have the theme playing, it had special music. 3123 (as you said) and 3124 had the harmonica music. 3125 and 3126 had the calypso. 3127 was the very last episode with the harmonica music. 3128 and 3131 both had special versions of the theme, but all the rest had the calypso music. I'm guessing that the episodes in there that had the harmonica music must have been put together earlier, and they aired them out of order.
Which version of the calypso music was used in episodes 3117-3135 (Excluding Episodes 3118, 3121, 3123, 3124 and 3127?

A. The version from Episode 3120
B. The version from Seasons 25 to 26 and Episode 3426

Last edited:

Garrett

Reaction score
There were quite a few episodes where it was someone's birthday, but they still played the normal theme music at the end. In fact, there is only one episode I can recall that ended with them singing Happy Birthday, and it was a Season 27 episode where Gabi was sick on her birthday.

And as for Season 25 episodes that were replaced with the calypso music, those would be 3175 and 3185. That's for the closing. 3184 had the harmonica opening replaced with the calypso music, but still had the harmonica closing. As for Season 26 episodes, I'm actually not sure there were any, because by Season 24, they were already using the animated credits.
Just like Episode 3184 had the opening harmonica music replaced with the calypso music with the closing harmonica music still intact, did they do that same thing with Episode 3165?

Luke kun

Reaction score
I liked the FULL version of the calypso closing credits.
Lemme list what happens in it:
  • Ms. Liberty and the buildings dance
  • Elmo (?) dancing in windows
  • Kids dance
  • A girl dances on a green background and a boy dances on a blue background
  • Big Bird and some boy dance next to the dancing buildings
  • The train coming right at you
  • Kids get off the train
  • Muppet pigeon appears and flies over trees and into tunnel
  • Elmo with balloons
  • Kids dance again
  • CTW sign appears and Big Bird announces this is a CTW production
  • Ms. Liberty and buildings again
And then on 1998-2001 episodes, after the credits, Big Bird said goodbye on a purple static background with an electric tune playing. 2001-2002 episodes had an orchestral version of the SS theme playing, but I like the electric tune.

The calypso funding credits somehow remind me of the funding credits to Project Shrine Maiden. Just add Reimu, Marisa, and Mima reading the funding credits and you're all set.

Luke kun

Reaction score
One Sequence That Scared Me

There was one that scared the crap outta me, well at least I remember crying when it came on. It was on select mid 90s episodes. First you had the animated close, followed by closing credits on that dark ocean blue screen that was used on a lot of CPB/Viewers Like You captions. I don't know what bothered me about that sequence. Was it the way the music was played? Was it that dark background or the way the credits were displayed? Either ways, kinda weird, huh?
OMG that CPB sequence was on old, OLD episodes of Project Shrine Maiden! Reimu would read the funding and at that part she'd say, "If it wasn't for the CPB, you wouldn't have me!" That part was removed 9 episodes later!

Garrett

Reaction score
There were quite a few episodes where it was someone's birthday, but they still played the normal theme music at the end. In fact, there is only one episode I can recall that ended with them singing Happy Birthday, and it was a Season 27 episode where Gabi was sick on her birthday.

And as for Season 25 episodes that were replaced with the calypso music, those would be 3175 and 3185. That's for the closing. 3184 had the harmonica opening replaced with the calypso music, but still had the harmonica closing. As for Season 26 episodes, I'm actually not sure there were any, because by Season 24, they were already using the animated credits.
And as for episodes that I saw on YouTube and DailyMotion, Episodes 3177, 3185 and 3195, the harmonica opening was still there. And as for Episode 3177, the harmonica closing was also still there. Same goes with Episode 3264.

Garrett

Reaction score
I have a question about the closing music from the 1995-96 (27th) season of Sesame Street. I know the closing music was changed, and the "Coming Soon on Sesame Street" segments were introduced that season. But I saw Episode 3426 on YouTube and that had the calypso theme playing at the end. Yet episode 3408 had the 1995 version of the theme playing at the end.
Here's my question:
Which episode numbers from this season featured the 1995 music (or the calypso music) playing while the episode sponsors (and CTW notice on Mon-Thurs) were announced?

Garrett

Reaction score
ssetta, do you know which version of the closing theme Sesame Street episode 3085 had at the end of it? It probably had the animated closing credits.
It did have the "Dancing City" credits and it has the regular harmonica music.