The best and worst uses of Flash animation

Drtooth

Reaction score
What do you suppose they use on Nick's TMNT for the Filmation Star Trek and Voltron parodies? They're really good. Why, out of all the anime parodies I've ever seen in an American series, their Voltron bit actually looks like it's Japanese.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I watched the 1st episode of a new Hub show called Teenage Fairytale Dropouts, which is from the same Mexican studio that produced the Top Cat movie and the El Chavo del Ocho animated series. I'd say it looks more improved than those two, but still has that stiff, motion tweened, paper doll look to it (look at the way their school mascot unicorn moves around compared to the ponies in FiM, and you'll see what I mean). Good for the studio to tap into a major U.S. market, though.

Also, looks like Wander uses Toon Boom rather than Flash, though even if they did switch over like Transformers Rescue Bots did in its 2nd season, it would still look pretty much the same anyway just like that show.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
While this guy's work is not Adobe Flash, it's Anime Studio Debut 7, this animation is AMAZING!, mind you, may contain mature content.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now that I've got to watching the 2nd season of Rescue Bots, I've noticed that things move at a higher framerate than before, and perhaps a little more fluidly than what Atomic Cartoons did before with Toon Boom. The bots are also rendered in CGI when transformed, allowing them to be seen in multiple angles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whatever the heck those Mixels cartoon interstitials/commercials/whatever you'd call it seem to be pretty fluid. Not exactly Wander-like, but very bouncy, cartoony animation.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Whatever the heck those Mixels cartoon interstitials/commercials/whatever you'd call it seem to be pretty fluid. Not exactly Wander-like, but very bouncy, cartoony animation.
It's done in Toon Boom, and also by Atomic Cartoons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thought so. Seems a lot of less stiff cartoons are animated in that one than Flash.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Thought so. Seems a lot of less stiff cartoons are animated in that one than Flash.
It's a program that's more accustomed to traditional frame-by-frame animation anyway.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It seems like Toon Boom Harmony is becoming more and more the standard for 2D animation going by the shows that use it according to their website, even for those that use a cutout style with skeletal rigging. All this time I thought shows like Archer and the Danger Mouse reboot used Flash, but apparently they use Harmony instead.

https://www.toonboom.com/company/customer-productions

Last edited: