Creating Patterns ...

Jose Antonio

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Back in Dec of 2013 I started a post "Making a Large Tree Puppet" and now I'm at a place where, after much rethinking and redesigning, I can start playing around with the making of said Large Tree Puppet.

Never having created "patterns" I thought I'd look for a pattern making software of sorts and then again not knowing what the heck to look for ... you get my drift

So, I'm making a 12 foot tree puppet, walks, talks, etc, FUN!!! Due to its size I'll be making it in three sections: branches, trunk and roots. Is there a tool, software or otherwise, that can help in creating the 3D patterns I will need to create my tree?

If is was a simple cylinder shape that would be straight forward but since there's curvature where the branches and roots sections will connect I had to pause and rethink my approach and so, here I am, asking you all ...

Peace

Jose Antonio

Reaction score
Hello,

Well, although I'd still like to hear from you guys as to my question "Is there a tool, software or otherwise, that can help in creating the 3D patterns I will need to create my tree?" I found this link within this post request from a member which was very helpful to me; now I have to make a tree sculpture, FUN.

Peace.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You certainly can use software, but most people don't. For something organic like a tree, most pros sculpt by hand.

There is Pepakura, which is used by a lot of cosplayers to make props, costumes and helmets out of closed cell foam. There are a lot of pros and cons to using "Pep" for patterns. I personally think it's not ideal for organic things like trees, but you can find a lot of information and discussion about it on the Replica Prop Forum.

I'd also check out the Stan Winston School's tutorials on Foam Fabrication.

What's really crucial with a large project like this is to make a smaller versions first. I'd work out what you want to do as a puppet maybe 1'0 high using cheap materials first (this is often called a "garbage bag test"), then scale everything up once you've got it right.

Animal31

Reaction score
I would also check out the trees from the Wizard of Oz or Pufnstuf for some ideas or inspiration, very cool designs....