Your Thoughts: Half-hour Sesame Street begins on PBS September 1, 2014

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
In my area, the half-hour version airs in the morning and the hour version airs in the afternoon. Is it like that for other areas? Also, I don't get the half-hour version until tomorrow.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
My local station isn't showing any times other than 10AM until September 13 (as far as it goes). Maybe it's not available here?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
In my area, the half-hour version airs in the morning and the hour version airs in the afternoon. Is it like that for other areas? Also, I don't get the half-hour version until tomorrow.
Interesting. For me, it's vice versa, though, I don't know about you, but in my personal opinion and based on what other people on here have been saying about this half hour version so far, I don't think it will be worth my time at all.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Interesting. For me, it's vice versa, though, I don't know about you, but in my personal opinion and based on what other people on here have been saying about this half hour version so far, I don't think it will be worth my time at all.
I'm actually in school during the hour version, so this is my only chance to watch some Sesame Street... then again, I haven't watched since 2009, so it's probably very much different. :stick_out_tongue:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I'll wait until I see it to be sure.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Here's something interesting: the 30-minute edits of #4503 and #4505 are airing a couple of days before the hour-long versions. (#4503 is supposed to air on the Wednesday, but the shorted version is playing on Monday).

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I'll wait until I see it to be sure.
Yeah, I wasn't talking you out of watching it. It's your choice in the end, and if you feel the need to watch it, then OK.

Here's something interesting: the 30-minute edits of #4503 and #4505 are airing a couple of days before the hour-long versions. (#4503 is supposed to air on the Wednesday, but the shorted version is playing on Monday).
Wow, really? That is interesting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it, just so long as they can keep the hour-long and half-hour versions. An hour is a long time by kids show-standards, but there's a lot more they can put in it.
I don't like the cynical reasoning behind it... the whole aspect for it to be tailor made for yuppies with tablets and phones so full of apps, they don't even bother with any other viewing media, mainly because they can shut kids up on a shopping trip (or even ruder, in a restaurant). It makes Sesame Street a lot less accessible to the original demographic. Poor kids are still a thing. I know full well the economics and realities of television are changing. But this seems like a move pandering to iPad users.

However, watching the full hour episodes, it's painfully obvious they can't even fill the full hour without reusing the heck out of current segments, sometimes twice a season. And they only use HD unless they don't. Like there's no reasoning behind it. And for some reason, Ernie and Bert are for foreign markets only! Enjoy the same celebrity/parody segment from a few episodes ago a second time. You don't even have to watch the show anymore, since it posts everything online. No tenth time with an Abby episode.

So a half hour Sesame may not seem so bad, it's just they aren't using that half hour wisely, and old street stories should be cobbled together with different segments. But time and money, it's cheaper and easier to just cut something down.

BTW, anyone else notice the Count sings about 6 kids song was edited too? The line about "This is my favorite song about six" was missing.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I watched. And there was literally nothing new. Interesting thing is my DVR counts the half-hour show as a different show from the normal hour show.