Ice Bucket Challenge: Before The Pour

charlietheowl

Reaction score
A park somewhere in Los Angeles, 12:39 PM

"Okay, Sweetums, do you have the cooler ready?"

"Yes, Scooter! All ready whenever you need it.The water's nice and cold."

"All right, good. Fozzie, do you have the towels for Kermit when he's done?"

"You bet," Fozzie called from behind a stack of fluffy monogrammed bath towels. "But I have a question."

"Mmm-hmm?"

"What's Kermit getting all this water dumped on him for again?"

Before Scooter could answer, Gonzo cut in.

"It's the ALF Ice Bucket Challenge. He hasn't had a lot of work lately and needs the money to pay his rent and keep his lights on. It's always sad to see an entertainment legend fall on hard times, so someone created this challenge."

"Really? I thought he was doing stand-up in Toledo. That's a thriving city. I was almost going to go there before I went to Reno."

Scooter laughed and shook his head. "It's the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, not the ALF Challenge."

"So this has nothing to do with ALF?"

"No, I'm sorry to disappoint you."

Robin hopped by, carrying a phone, trying to capture the entire scene without losing his balance. It would make good video for the next time he went back to the swamp.

"It's for ALS research, which is a disease that weakens your muscles, and there's no cure. We learned about it in science class last year."

"Yes, that's what Lou Gehrig had," said Fozzie. "Remember when Link auditioned for the remake of The Pride Of The Yankees to play Lou?"

"He would have had that role if he knew which end to grab the bat when you swing it. Real shame," added Gonzo. "I always thought Link was the porcine Gary Cooper."

"And it's a good thing Link didn't get the role," huffed Sam. "Link did not have the gravitas to play a football legend like Mr. Gehrig, one of the true heroes of American sport."

"I thought he played baseball," chirped Robin.

"Robin, I remember seeing him on television as a child, running up and down the football field, scoring touchdowns left and right. He was truly one of my heroes."

"Sam, he played baseball and he retired in 1939. I don't think you were around back then."

Sam blushed. "Well...erm....um....he was a legend and Link couldn't have done a good job! Let's just get on with this."

The scene around the swamp was buzzing, not just because of the flies. Since Vince McMahon had issued the Ice Bucket Challenge to Kermit the Frog, the gang had been planning out their response. Everyone was excited to help Kermit out; they found a nice open space to film at a local park, got the supplies, helped organize donations. They even made a joint donation pact with their friends on Sesame Street after seeing Cookie Monster's video. However, no one else was willing to sit down with him while he got drenched. That he could do all by himself.

Kermit made his way out of his trailer with Miss Piggy.

"Oh Kermie! You're so brave, getting drenched in all that ice water. You're risking a cold!"

"I'll be fine, and it's a great way to raise awareness for research. Besides, I have plenty of towels to keep warm with."

Piggy appeared to have barely heard Kermit's answer, only clutching him ever so tighter. "So courageous! Kermit is going to get drenched in ice water just because some oily wrestler-type challenged him! He's a hero for us all."

"Well, I better get started. Are the cameras ready, Scooter?"

"Sure thing, chief. Sweetums has the cooler with the water, Fozzie has the towels, and I'm ready when you are."

Kermit sat down on the log and spotted Sweetums, who was eagerly chatting with Beau and Robin while shaking the cooler around to break up the ice.

"I'm ready when you are."

"Oh! Oh! I'm coming, I'm coming." Sweetums ran over, still shaking the cooler. "This water sure is cold. Hope you have some towels ready."

"Gosh, everyone's really into towels around here. Thanks goodness Piggy always keeps about 13 with her at all times in case she spots a Jacuzzi. It's very important to be prepared."

A voice called out from afar. "Hey! Hey! Where are all my towels? I said you could use one, not all of them."

Kermit swallowed. "We better get this going before my towels vanish. Scooter, let's roll."

"Sure thing. Ice bucket challenge, three, two, one, go...."

The Ice Bucket Challenge is a benefit for the ALS Association, a national non-profit organization fighting Lou Gehrig's Disease. Those who choose to play by the rules of the challenge can, if tagged, dump a bucket of ice water on their heads, post a video, challenge three others, and donate $10 to ALSA, or skip the ice bucket thing and donate $100.

Or you can do like me and write a silly story and donate something. Anyway, I tag ALittleMayhem, Ruhanna, and Bob Barker.

Last edited:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
I forgot to comment here! What a fun way to raise awareness of a silly challenge and a serious disease. Thank you for tagging me to write--I have done so. (And I may not me done yet.)

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I forgot to comment here! What a fun way to raise awareness of a silly challenge and a serious disease. Thank you for tagging me to write--I have done so. (And I may not me done yet.)
Thanks for the kind words. I was tagged in the challenge originally by Slackbot, so I owe it to her for writing this story. Your story was a lot of fun to read too.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Totally cool, Charlie O! And a great idea in our little neck of the woods. Finally learned about Kermit's thanks to watching Tina Fey's (which was cute); look forward to catching up with all the new stories!