TV Tropes

mr3urious

Reaction score
Something has just occurred to me: People often use the "spoiler" highlight so people who don't want to be spoiled won't have to see it. But then suppose somebody is wanting to avoid spoilers but they also want to make an edit that occurs right below that spoiler, where if they edit they'll be able to see the spoiler?
Yeah, that's what always bugs me. I hope they'll find a way to address that in the future.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I recently saw an episode of Leave It to Beaver that I think has the "Society Marches On" trope, though I'm not entirely sure. But there's an episode where Beaver and his friends buy shirts with either a monster or a martian, with eyes popped out. Really ugly designs. Beaver and his friends pledge an oath to wear their shirts to school together, only their parents won't let them, and only Beaver is successful in being sneaky enough. When he comes to class, all of the kids instantly laugh at it, and the teacher is mad that he's disrupted class with his shirt.

I don't think a shirt like that would be a big deal in this day and age, but it makes me wonder if school dress codes were stricter back then. I think that's the only time on the show when anybody in the class wore a shirt with a character on it. When I was in school, it was common for us to wear shirts with funny illustrations on them, and we usually didn't laugh at the sight of the shirts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's a few things in the section on Man on the Moon that I find interesting:
Audience-Alienating Premise: The film was a surprise box office flop, possibly because the advertising campaign was too honest —Andy Kaufmanwas and still is a notoriously divisive figure. If you don't want an audience alienating premise, don't make a movie about an audience alienating performer!
So a movie about an audience-alienating performer is audience-alienating? So maybe it was audience-alienating when the actual events happened, those watching the movie without knowledge of what happened would be surprised... But we also see the audiences reactions, and Andy's manager chewing him out for a lot of the things he did(and in fact there's many gags that the manager is not in on).

Fridge Brilliance: At one point Shapiro comments that Andy is doing all these jokes for his own amusement. This gives the movie a new meaning in that the audience finally gets to appreciate Andy's act from the best perspective.
Not only does this seem like it'd kill off the "audience-alienating premise", but I can't tell if the "best perspective" is meant to be from Andy or his manager.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I've learned a few interesting things from this site, like how in China, you can't show movies which alter the past, and that a few shows that are popular in America are also popular in other countries.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that a few pages list "acceptable targets" without saying why they are acceptable. The page on The Simpsons lists the elderly as acceptable targets without saying why, though I do know why (on the first season commentary they say that the show makes fun of old people so much because old people don't watch the show). And the page for Babe lists city dwellers as acceptable targets. Since that movie primarily takes place in the country I guess it's obvious that it's okay for the movie to poke fun at city dwellers, but I watched the movie recently and don't recall any scenes that use city dwellers as a target.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've learned a few interesting things from this site, like how in China, you can't show movies which alter the past, and that a few shows that are popular in America are also popular in other countries.
I learn that even the worst cartoons and shows out there have a fanbase for some reason. And they are such apologists. Any actual awful show has a "Complaining about Shows You Don't Watch" tag on it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's got to be a "Too short to ride the roller coaster" trope. Somehow, hearing that Arthur was going to beat that dead horse just made me so freaking annoyed at this stale bit. I just have to see how many times that was overused.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd almost sign up to contribute to that. There's a LOT of stuff that seems to be missing. If I were on there, I'd add something about how Between the Lions went from a one story book to further a plot to 2 story books with the Library being nothing more than a framing device. I never liked that, actually.

Personally, I want to contribute to This.