Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Family people seem to want the kind of big budgeted fluff that drives up ticket prices yet then complain about the expense. I get that.
On the plus side, they're no longer going to see idiotic talking dog nonsense or adaptions of old cartoons that have no clue about the source material. And tenth party animated films (except the dumb squirrel thing due to great timing) are falling out of fashion. The days of the low budget, low class, lowest common denominator kiddy movies are coming to an end, thankfully.

What boggles my mind is still the MMW box office take. I attended a packed 35th anniversary screening of TMM this weekend and the first thing I shouted in this room full of "fans" before sitting down was, "Where the heck were all of you last March?" Hehe.
Fair weather, Geewunner fans. All I can explain there. I'm going to go with what member beaker said a few months ago... some pseudo-intellectual hipster crapped all over it for the sake of being the snarkiest one in the room, and the other hipster sheeple wanted the thing to fail as a result.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, like... was there ever a reason to worry about Into the Storm? Did it actually make any money? Seems like it disappeared the second it hit theaters. Funnier still, the TV Tropes link in the "Films of the 10's" entry links to a film about Winston Churchill. Yep. Not even a member of the TVTropes community wanted to bother fixing that link. WOW!

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, like... was there ever a reason to worry about Into the Storm? Did it actually make any money? Seems like it disappeared the second it hit theaters. Funnier still, the TV Tropes link in the "Films of the 10's" entry links to a film about Winston Churchill. Yep. Not even a member of the TVTropes community wanted to bother fixing that link. WOW!
It just barely broke even with the domestic and foreign BOs combined.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Betchya we're going to see a sequel to it, regardless.

Step Up 5, same deal? Or did someone actually find the unironic use of weird anime tropes that don't go together appealing?

Anyway, obviously looking forward to Box Trolls. Hopefully it gets a wider audience than Paranorman did. Hopefully it won't butt heads too badly with Book of Life. Both sound great. Book of Life is actually written by Doug Langdale, who used to write for Darkwing Duck, Earthworm Jim, and the Kung Fu Panda animated series. That sounds promising. Cast even features Ron Pearlman.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It just barely broke even with the domestic and foreign BOs combined.
It's only been out for a week and a half. While it looks like a terrible film, it's probably not fair to judge its box office quite yet. :wink:

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Well, How To Train Your Dragon 2 is the biggest animated film of 2014 according to Forbes. That leads me to believe that if anyone has trouble with its box office take, that their beef is with general turnout for animated films this year rather than the success of this particular film.
I didn't like that movie. It got more tedious as it went on...
I saw a theater playing it a few days ago on vacation to California at something with "Chinese Theater" in the name.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I didn't like that movie. It got more tedious as it went on...
Eh, to each their own taste. Maybe some car crashes, laser beams and explosions could have made it better.

It just amazes me how a thrilling adventure featuring dragons could seem tedious to anybody. :eek: But apparently it did.

Still, I'm looking forward to Boxtrolls. I have high hopes for that animated picture.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The more I think about Dragons, the more I hope they fired the butthead who said they should totally reveal the mother in the trailers. Maybe if there was still some of that mystery, more people would have seen it in theaters. The lost mother angle must've scared away too hip for tropes types (as if every single standard of storytelling hasn't been worn out since before Shakespeare's day). Plus, it totally killed the surprise reveal. I hope the guy that made that trailer is blacklisted.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score

Step Up 5, same deal? Or did someone actually find the unironic use of weird anime tropes that don't go together appealing?

Anyway, obviously looking forward to Box Trolls. Hopefully it gets a wider audience than Paranorman did. Hopefully it won't butt heads too badly with Book of Life. Both sound great. Book of Life is actually written by Doug Langdale, who used to write for Darkwing Duck, Earthworm Jim, and the Kung Fu Panda animated series. That sounds promising. Cast even features Ron Pearlman.
I'm not trying to make you change your opinion, but both those movies look bad. The Boxtrolls is the one that could be good, just the trailers made it seem weird. Book of Life, However, looks absolutely horrible.

jvcarroll

Reaction score

While I kind of like the look of Book of Life, it just doesn't seem to resonate with me. More artifice than emotion, I guess.

Boxtrolls seems to have both and they've been promoting it for a while.

Oooh, BTW, I saw Sin City: A Dame to Kill For last night. My brief review:
Striking, bloody, beautiful and violent. Strong men and stronger women. Sin City 2 ups the stakes, enhances the visuals and mostly meets the mark made by its predecessor. It's certainly not for everybody. Definitely for me. Full of fine performances - Eva Green shines the brightest. A unique piece of cinema in a landscape of redundancy. 3.75 / 5 stars​