Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

mimitchi33

Reaction score
The movie that just came out has been doing rather well. I went to an outlet center with a movie theater today and there were long lines of children and teenagers waiting to see the movie at every showing. Maybe the show will be the next SpongeBob. Who knows?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really want Drtooth to listen to this, if he hasn't already:

After the whole, "Move cake closer," and, "Hey ---- a cookie and how," almost-meme from Pluizig en Blauw, I dare people to listen to 0:37, and let that sink in for a little while.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ever see this one?

While there's no subliminal English cuss words, the fact they're called the FABULOUS Ninja Turtles sounds... well...a little off.

FunnieGuy

Reaction score
Even better:the first season is getting a complete DVD release in North America instead of those kiddy disks!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of which series?

The original 80's cartoon's first season wasn't enough to fit on a single disk and had 4 episodes from the awful season 10 as a "bonus."

I really wish Nick would give the home video license of the 2k3 series to Shout. When Funimation was releasing the series finally in order in half season setsm there was a huge falling out between them and 4Kids, and they only got halfway through season 2.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Of which series?

The original 80's cartoon's first season wasn't enough to fit on a single disk and had 4 episodes from the awful season 10 as a "bonus."

I really wish Nick would give the home video license of the 2k3 series to Shout. When Funimation was releasing the series finally in order in half season setsm there was a huge falling out between them and 4Kids, and they only got halfway through season 2.
I second that, I would LOVE to have that whole series released on DVD.

Drtooth

Reaction score
General review with little spoilers:

Already saw the new movie on opening night. It was alright, not something I would tell people they NEED to go see like I did with Guardians of the Galaxy, but decent enough and that is coming from a HUGE TMNT fan.

I second that. There were things I generally liked about the film. Mainly the Turtles and Splinter. I'm actually the only one that likes the movie designs (though giving Donnie glasses was over the top), but I'll tell you this... it was a wise decision to have the turtles as Mo-Cap CGI with real actors wearing backpacks. The turtles seemed like they were really in the movie and not pasted on in post like every other one of these kinds of things. The CGI was excellent, instead of the cheap stuff you usually see. And it was refreshingly little on the blowy uppy stuff. The tower falling down in the trailer happens near the end and is the only building collapse.

However, my 3 main issues are this:

1. The Turtles were barely in the movie. They might as well called this April O'Neil: The Movie (with special guests the Teenage Turtle Mutant Ninjas). They altered the origin of the turtles (which I didn't exactly mind much) just to give April an even bigger connection to the Turtles. So it's mostly about April trying to uncover a big conspiracy. Which wouldn't have been half as bad if it wasn't Megan Fox. The second worst actress in films today (Kristen Stewart, if you're wondering). She's eye candy. She slogged through the entire movie, and making it all center on her character, it made it hard to watch. Like I said before, of course this is the movie that Michael Bay wanted to forgive her
  2. Is it just me, or could they have done the entire movie without Sachs? It seems his part could have been given to Oroku Saki, instead of making Shredder the Dragon to Sachs' big big villain. If they needed a villain's sidekick, we had Karai. I'm glad she was in there, but she felt like an after thought. Not to mention how lame a villain Sachs was. All he did was make the story even more connected to April. Really, a character as useless as April's unfunny, pointless roommate.
  3. Lost opportunities abound. The Foot barely had a presence, the Turtles had very to do in their own movie, Splinter was just there for plot exposition (and one pretty good fight with Shredder). And then there's Vernon. Perfectly cast, poorly written. They made him a goofy, awkward sidekick to April, rather than a vain, arrogant rival. This is the dude that played Gob on Arrested Development. You couldn't let him be a jerk? Not that he wasn't good and did his best with the role, but a ball was dropped by not making him just a little more snarky.
Other than that, it was okay. And a generously put okay at that. Poor choices and a meh script kept this film from being very good. In the right hands, even the same story would have been as good as the first movie. It's far from the worst thing with the Turtles on it. We still have the first NES game, Next Mutation, Mr. Ogg Goes to Town, the Christmas rock video (I can't believe they made a subtle reference to it), and Vanilla Ice's Big Lipped Alligator moment in movie 2. I'd say I like it in between movie 3 and 2, but not even close to the first one or Imagi's Tales of the TMNT style film. I'm hoping this film is just the introductory one, and the second film has a stronger, more Turtle-centric script.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the not movie front, Playmates has just released variant turtle figures based on the episode "Mazes and Mutants."

Unfortunately, Mikey doesn't come with the plus one ring of awesomeness, and there's no Turkey head Raph, or Sir Malachi figure. But, unlike some of the previous Nick Turtle figures, these are fairly show accurate in terms of Turtle likenesses. They actually remembered Raph has an angular head this time.

Also Slash and The Newtralizer are supposedly out, just impossible to find.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I saw the movie last night. It was decent. Very funny at one point where somebody asks April if the turtles are aliens and she says that that would be stupid (I guess the write did a "take that" towards Michael Bays original concept).

So out of all the characters created for the original series (I assume), the only one to appear in this is Vernon (and to a lesser extend, a gender/race-switched Thompson)? Though his personality is a bit different (they could have given him a different name and we'd just think he was a character we didn't know). That role could have easily gone to Casey Jones.

Noticed a number of similarities to the first movie, like when a slice of pizza falls on Splinters head and the fact that this movies climax takes place on the roof.