For the first time on YouTube ever...

zns

Reaction score
If this keeps up with rare Sesame Street stuff surfacing on YouTube, hopefully someone will upload the rarest of the rare, Out to Lunch (1974).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm surprised it hasn't been sent to the Paley Center yet. It's clearly within in Sesame Workshop or The Jim Henson Legacy's possession. The latter sent the Cinderella pilot last year, which is mad rare.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for this current anniversary, Sesame Workshop pretty much seems to be glossing over the fact that it's supposed to be an anniversary season, so I don't think there will be a special. I just hope they make a better effort with the big 50 in 2019...

Off topic, but Sesame Street hasn't had a true anniversary special the last time either. They didn't even show the season opener in Prime Time like they said they were going to. And even then, the 35th was just an episode of Sesame Street (even though it was built around it being an anniversary episode) that ran in prime time and got a crappy home video release that cut essentially everything worth watching for (until they put the same exact timeline with an extra 5 years tacked on on the free DVD with the 40th book).

Very disappointed there's no mention of a book, retrospective, or even some special thing they're doing in this season.

As for this special, other than the fact I need to rewatch the thing, I think I liked it okay... Elmopalooza was a bit better. The broadcast version of the 25th one was my favorite.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is kind of why it really surprised me to see the vintage shows on Noggin. For instance, in the 20 And Still Counting special, as far as I remember there was not a single pre-1980s clip of a "street scene." There was mention of Mr. Hooper's death and clips from that famous scene, but no real discussion of the character and no footage of Will Lee at all from the 13 years he was on the show.
It seems the 20th anniversary special avoided showing any former cast members. The clip of Big Bird learning of Mr. Hooper's death was edited to remove most shots of Olivia, but she can barely be seen during the group hug at the end.

At least this one does show former cast members quite a bit. There's three clips with Mr. Hooper, and a little bit of David, Uncle Wally, and Petey. Didn't notice any clips with Olivia, though. And with so much celebrity focus, it's a shame it didn't show any clips of cast members who later became famous (and while famous are not as well-known for having been on Sesame Street).

In fact, there are cast members missing from this special. Mr. Handford, Angela, and Jamal are all missing, from both new footage and old. Though I wonder if Angela and Jamal were no longer on the show by the time it was produced. And there's no Bob or Linda except for old clips.

I'm surprised it hasn't been sent to the Paley Center yet. It's clearly within in Sesame Workshop or The Jim Henson Legacy's possession. The latter sent the Cinderella pilot last year, which is mad rare.
So that's already been donated there? Have you watched it yet? It was said that The Jim Henson Legacy was in talks to have a special screening there, do you happen to know anything more about it or if it's been canceled? Of course, that's assuming you aren't prohibited from talking about stuff like this.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So that's already been donated there? Have you watched it yet? It was said that The Jim Henson Legacy was in talks to have a special screening there, do you happen to know anything more about it or if it's been canceled? Of course, that's assuming you aren't prohibited from talking about stuff like this.
Are you referring to the Cinderella thing? Yes, it's there (though it may or may not be available for the viewing in the public library, but I have seen it).

It's okay, I guess. A lot of things are carried over into the Hey Cinderella special (particularly the whole "bring a present for the king" shpeel). It's kind of weird in that Cinderella acknowledges that the story of her show will be different than the traditional Cinderella story, yet is oblivious to some of the regular elements in place (like falling in love with the prince). And the evil wizard? Clearly something to give them stories week after week in lieu of developing the actual story of Cinderella. But it seems unnecessary.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
None other than the complete version of Sesame Street's All Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Street Forever! Since Sesame Street doesn't seem to be doing anything special for the 45th, what better way to celebrate than by watching one of the 25th anniversary specials!

For some reason, I was not too fond of this special when I was a toddler- whenever we watched it (my mom taped it when it originally aired), I would run out of the room crying. My mom figures that it was probably due to Mr. Grump's harshness and the way he yelled at everyone.

But, anyways, here it is! Enjoy!
Oh, my gosh. I was looking all over for this. It's not on DVD either. This is a real treat. Let's hope this doesn't get deleted.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I don't really understand is the concept of Oscar's can being city property. So if it's city property, wouldn't the city, and not Oscar, have a say in where it is?

And it's ironic how at the end, Oscar remarks to Ronald Grump that he hates happy endings, when he was responsible for the happy ending by refusing to move (which Grump didn't point out). And yet they form a friendship right there, despite the fact that Oscar ruined his plans?

And during the finale, it's confusing on if he's starting to become good or not. He looks fairly grumpy at first, but then he leads the cast in singing, as if he is enjoying it. And yet after they finish, he's still grumpy.

It's a shame they didn't do more with Benny. He's interested in Grump succeeding once he learns that he's rich (and it seems like he was already in favor of Sesame Street being torn down before he hears that he's rich), and later offers to be his doorman only to decide the street must be saved when he learns that Ronald Grump will have a robotic doorman. And then... Nothing.

When Telly calls the tough guy hotline, the fliers mention that it's a 24-hour hotline, and yet Tough Guy has to hang up before Telly's really ready. Couldn't he just hand the call over to a different tough guy?

During the finale, we see a celebrity montage, and yet Regis and Kathy Lee do not appear in the montage. Considering how one line was started by Barbra Walters and finished by Corbin Berensen, I wonder if they should have started or finished the line from the worms.

This special was the first I'd heard of Regis and Kathy Lee. If I didn't miss the opening credits when it aired, I would have known that Kathy Lee Kathy was not the real Kathy Lee. I recall shortly after this seeing ads for Regis and Kathy Lee's show, and thought Kathy Lee Kathy (not the name sake) was the co-star (never mind the fact that she looked different). The part with Kathy Lee and Kathy Lee addressing each other by name was lost on me for years. I thought it was strange that Kathy Lee was Regis' co-star instead of the woman he was with in his scene. And sometime later (I think it was a Macy's Parade) I saw Regis and the real Kathy Lee together, noticed she was the one from their scene in the special, and wondered why they were a pair when the show was called "Live with Regis and Kathy Lee".

I've read that David Rudman took over as Sully following Richard Hunt's death, yet Rudman is not credited here (and I don't hear his voice as any characters in this special). I wonder who performed Sully in this special. Since Sully never talked it didn't really matter if it was a different performer (people seem to think that Sully was dropped after Hunt's death and Roxy Marie replaced her, but considering his presence here and in episode 3154 it's clear he wasn't dropped right away, though it seems like he would eventually be used less while Biff would make quite a few appearances up until season 29... Could they have eventually found replacing Sully to be problematic after awhile?). Here Sully does seem to be a bit too comical, panicking somewhat twice when he hears the show's starting and then when the camera rolls, and being a bit too happy at the end.

And I noticed that Jim Henson was the only credited performer who only appears in archival footage. In fact he gets the "and" credit, yet it's oddly-used there, written right beside his name instead of above.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how Oscar's refusal to move thwarts Ronald Grump's plans... Maybe this special should have had something with the cast being really annoyed by Oscar, so they would really show their appreciation of Oscar when he saves the street.

I wonder if Oscar was aware of the rest of the neighborhood not wanting to move. He's not there when Grump announces his plans. I wonder if he would have chose to move if he knew the others didn't want to (probably not).

While this is a great plot for an anniversary special, I feel like it also would have made a great movie plot.

dinoboy

Reaction score
I was 8 months when it aired, and my mom taped it then. As I mentioned before, I wasn't too fond of this special when I was 3- I would always run out of the room crying whenever we watched it. My mom thinks it was because of how harsh Mr. Grump was overall, or the way he yelled at everyone. Luckily, when I was in 5th or 6th grade, I found the tape in a box in my garage, and after watching it for the first time in years, I gained respect for it, and now I of course enjoy it a lot.

As for this current anniversary, Sesame Workshop pretty much seems to be glossing over the fact that it's supposed to be an anniversary season, so I don't think there will be a special. I just hope they make a better effort with the big 50 in 2019...

I have one of the Sesame Street Specials on DVD, as I got it used on amazon years ago. This version had Bill Cosby as one of celebrities on the special. And they also showed some of the actors all grown up that were featured on the show in the 1970's talking with Kermit or Harry monster.
I do vaguely remember that one, as they guy had plans to tear down sesame street and make way for a new giant building. I was always hoping that within the Sesame Street celebrations that they would've aired some of the classic clips and segments that reflected the 1970's, as it was fun to watch. But no luck at all. The street has changed big time throughout the years, and it's amazing to look back and see the street the way it used to be.

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
If this keeps up with rare Sesame Street stuff surfacing on YouTube, hopefully someone will upload the rarest of the rare, Out to Lunch (1974).
I'm with you there. I've been dying to see Out to Lunch for years.

As for the 25th anniversary special, I'll watch it later on this week, and write down my thoughts on it.