They're trying for another Power Rangers Movie again

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit, I was never really a fan of this show and HATED Fox Kids constantly adoring this series over the lost animated gems. But over the years, I've warmed up to the campy, goofiness of this original series, and I respect its sizable fanbase.

So... uh... Here's the link.

I really don't like how Saban mentioned Twilight and Divergent. Then again, the show was a more realistic and less stupid Saved by the Bell (yeah, I hate that show more). I mean, at least that has Brian Cranston doing voices of guys in rubber suits... that's a REAL leg up over SBTB in my book. As long as the teenage drama is on the light side (nothing more than a standard Super Hero movie and not flat female protagonist pretending to be a strong role model), and the campy robot fighting a guy in a rubber monster suit level is high. As long as they review the mistakes of the last 2 movies (that were treated like merchandising tie-ins, rather than real films) and try to make this as fan pleasing as possible.

Then again, it's produced by Lionsgate... :rolleyes:. The place where those crappy Tween novels get movies. If anything, the film should take more cues from Pacific Rim. Only... goofy.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yeah, not exactly warming up to this idea, considering that Lionsgate is involved. :rolleyes:

As long as they review the mistakes of the last 2 movies (that were treated like merchandising tie-ins, rather than real films) and try to make this as fan pleasing as possible.
Ivan Ooze was certainly the best part of the first Power Rangers movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, not exactly warming up to this idea, considering that Lionsgate is involved. :rolleyes:
They're involved purely because they are the DVD distribution rights holder for the current series (SHOUT has everything else). I'd almost think that Viacom/Paramount/Nick would be the producer/distributor, but there's some strain on their relationship because of internal network demands. I mean, it is Nick, so...

The thing that's kinda worrysome is that the nods to those tween movies came from Saban himself. Power Rangers was Saban's adopted child, and was totally ticked with Disney's handling of the franchise. I'd tend to think that of all people, he'd feel a Divergent-ification of the subject matter would be missing the point. I'd say it owes more to Spider-Man or X-Men (franchises he also handled). After all, Power Rangers is a Westernization of a Japanese translation of Western super heroes (like what they did with Spider-Man and what they wanted to do with Captain America). If it takes cues from that (and it totally needs to take some from Pacific Rim), it would have potential. If the series is sold on the merits of the teens being moody and hormonal, he's going to lose the loyal PR fans and not manage to capture tweens that find the idea ridiculous.

FunnieGuy

Reaction score
Way cool on the DVD thing.As for the movie...oy gevalt...two was enough.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm surprised that there's going to be a third Power Rangers movie after all these years, even though the show is still on the air.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is a third movie, but not a "third" movie. The last 2 were low budget, turbulently produced, cheap little merchandising gimmicks thrown together in hopes kids who would see the same thing on television for free would get their parents to spend money on. It's all on TVTROPES under P in this article. Those were made when the intended demo was 8 year old kids who wouldn't know any better.

Where as this is going to be a big budget fanwank aimed at 20+ year olds, maybe some kids, and will reboot an alternate film franchise. Probably without even needing to reuse Japanese footage. Something like a lower budget Pacific Rim. That has promise to it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is a third movie, but not a "third" movie. The last 2 were low budget, turbulently produced, cheap little merchandising gimmicks thrown together in hopes kids who would see the same thing on television for free would get their parents to spend money on.
Those were low budget? The first one certainly looked like it was made with a higher budget than the series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Higher budget than the series, not as high as most movies. Definitely not Blockbuster status.

Then again... TV shows typically don't get made into movies until 30 years later over here... blah blah... rare occasions where they don't usually don't turn out well... probably been dozens of Super Sentai series movies at kid's festivals in their original country...

Yeah... they had them annually