The 7D Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems that it could work. If done the right way, logically you could make that and it wouldn't be outright horrible.

Anyway, I just LOVE Maurice LaMarche's Grumpy voice. Not to mention the call back to the original film with his "How do you do what?" line... unless I'm thinking of another film. Haven't seen Snow White in ages. Grumpy was always my favorite of the Dwarfs, it manages to hold over to the series version too.

That pipe organ episode pretty much proves that this was meant for Disney Jr. The problem solving educational concept managed to stick out pretty solid.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I haven't seen it. But I won't, because it is Disney, and Disney doesn't know what kids tv animated shows should be like.

Bridget

Reaction score
I took a look at the show on Disney XD, and not to be sour, but I am just not impressed.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm liking those little Office/Modern Family-style interview segments some of the episodes have. Not something that's been done before on a cartoon, at least not often.
I'd like it more if it made sense. It's a recurring thing, but there's no context as to why they're doing the interviews.

Cartoon logic, I guess. But still.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't seen it. But I won't, because it is Disney, and Disney doesn't know what kids tv animated shows should be like.

.....yeahhhhhh. :rolleyes: Not dignifying that.

I'd like it more if it made sense. It's a recurring thing, but there's no context as to why they're doing the interviews.

Cartoon logic, I guess. But still.
Again, that seems like a weird hold over for when this was supposed to be a Preschool series. Still wouldn't make much sense there, but the one episode they used it, it seemed to basically underscore what they were doing by reiterating it for younger kids. At least that's what it seems like to me.

The show is very much an engineering/problem solving logic type series (at least some of the episodes are). I guess it was just too wacky or intense for Disney Junior, but it still feels like it should have been given a second look and put in the line up anyway. Disney happily managed to abandon the obnoxious slow talking, non-interactive interactive kiddy show model (that I personally never saw or got the point of), and create generally decent pre-school programming. It's a shame that there's some content that apparently doesn't fit in for some reason.

mr3urious

Reaction score
With Grumpy being such a big eater, there are a lot of missed opportunities for Maurice to use the trademark belch that he also supplied for Jay Sherman and The Great Wakkorotti.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems that only the pilot was done in Flash as it would have been "too design-heavy" as opposed to traditional animation, whatever that means. So apparently cost wasn't an issue for Disney.

The link contains a great video of the voice actors recording dialogue in the booth, which I always love. :smile:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animatio...alks-directing-disneys-new-7d-series-20140701

And according to Scott Menville, The 7D is a prequel to the original Snow White film, which explains why Snow White and the Evil Queen aren't there.

http://www.babble.com/disney-dads/scott-menville/

Drtooth

Reaction score
And according to Scott Menville, The 7D is a prequel to the original Snow White film, which explains why Snow White and the Evil Queen aren't there.
I had a feeling it was. Either that or bizarre alternate dimension.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I've only seen "Sneezin' Season/The Delightful Diamond Mystery". It's a really funny show. It sort of reminded me of many modern cartoons, but was actually good.
Other than that, I read this was supposed to be a Disney Junior show, and it does have some younger audience elements to it. They read the titles aloud for example. I guess they decided it was a little intense or something, and that's a shame, since it goes to prove that their Playhouse shows are getting good by doing their own thing and not just ruthlessly copying Dora. I caught some of Sofia the First, and it was GASP!!! watchable!
Sofia the First does have a huge teenage fanbase, most of them who love either Cerdric or Vivian. I also like that show. If Toon Disney still existed they may have aired Sofia on there. Doc McStuffins is also watchable, but at the end, they do ask the audience questions. Maryoku Yummy does this too and is watchable as well.
Another watchable preschool show that's getting a reboot soon is Mumfie, which I've mentioned many times before. It feels like a show written for an older audience than toddlers. Some toddlers even get confused by the complex plots. Here's one of the episodes: