Is Frozen overrated?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, to be fair, that was the plan hinted at in the Season 3 Once Upon a Time finale all along. If it's anything like Season 3, it'll only take up half the season and then the other half will hopefully be another storyline altogether. I'm still fannishly speculating that their Neverland could be the grounds for Halloween Town and that'd be much more interesting to explore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, I don't really watch it. Or care much for it, for that matter. I'm going to try to be as tolerant of the fanbase as I possibly can, but to me, it's just a big ol' crossover fan fic. Nothing on the level of awful as a "Winnie the Pooh's Adventures of..." thing, more like the "desperately want the characters to meet each other" but actually has a plot and the characters are actually useful kind of way.

Everytime I'm forced to see some of it (which, I'll admit a bias that I totally miss Bob's Burgers when I'm forced to see it) I get completely confused by what's going on, and some of it comes off as impossible to take seriously since they insist on using the Disney versions of the characters. Or, rather, strange reinterpretations of the specific Disney versions of the characters, but they're not exactly the Disney ones, but they are. In other words, I was willing to give the show a shot, then I saw CGI Jimminy Cricket trying to give a serious speech. It's too silly to be taken seriously, yet takes itself too seriously and loses the playful element.

Though, to be fair, another time, another place, I would have liked the concept of Peter Pan being a jerk... if only that wasn't better handled in Muppet Peter Pan.

Adding Frozen specific versions of the Snow Queen characters only makes it even more fan ficky. Though, the creators do have their hearts in the right place. The one Disney (or rather, now Disney) character they'd love to add (but won't)? Chewbacca! Now THAT I'd watch.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you're saying... It's all a terrible mishmash that would confuse even the most logical-minded alien if they were to just suddenly drop in on Earth and watch an episode or two.

For example, you've got the character of Rumplestiltskin assuming the role of master mage sorcery teacher to other potential practicioners, taking on the role of Prince Adam in his beastly role to tie in to Disney's specific version of Beauty and the Beast (heck, he has a chipped teacup as his most precious possession of his and Belle's time together), then fused with the character known as Tik-Tok the Crocodile who bit off Kilian Jones, er Captain Hook's hand off in a bout of revenge for spiriting away Rumple's first wife. And that's not even counting the added layer of convolution created from the characters' new Storybrook lives in the real world as caused by the original curse cast by Regina.

Heh, there's a Kingdom Hearts crossover fanfic series I'm following that uses "Regina" as the name for the Evil Queen when her true Disney-verse name is actually Queen Grimhilde.

But then again, is Once Upon a Time any different than the confusing mishmash fairytale Webbigail tried telling the Beagle Babes in that one episode of Ducktales? :stick_out_tongue:

As far as the fanfic element of Once, heh, RedPiggy and I have an ongoing shared appreciation of the series as she's attempting to tie it in with the expanded realms of Labyrinth whenever she gets the chance to poke her head back in and post a new chapter.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On that note, if they put Webby and the Beagle Boys in the show, I just might watch.

More logically, though... if they managed to put Yzma in OUAT, I'd watch indefinitely. Yzma's a terribly underrated Disney villain, and I could see some actress hamming it the heck up as the character.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
On that note, if they put Webby and the Beagle Boys in the show, I just might watch.

More logically, though... if they managed to put Yzma in OUAT, I'd watch indefinitely. Yzma's a terribly underrated Disney villain, and I could see some actress hamming it the heck up as the character.
Oooh yes I agree! Virtual-high-five! (I stole that from my friend Conor)

Bridget

Reaction score
As much as I love this wonderful it is a bit overrated in my opinion... But apparently they are making a possible addition to the Broadway family!

FunnieGuy

Reaction score
Definitely overrated,just like every other Disney flick that isn't made by Pixar.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Any popular film can be considered overrated.

Is it a typical princess story? No. It isn't. The film is rooted in the familial love of two sisters. I have yet to see a film with such strong female leads where the plot is not centered around a man. That alone makes it ASTOUNDING! The prince was peripheral and Kristoff was basically along for the ride. Of course Sven and Olaf were popped into the story to lighten it up and to give kids something to grab onto. Not only does it pass the Bechdel Test, the fact that the film grossed $1,272,346,009 worldwide sends a signal to the entertainment industry that mainstream films don't have to be tailored to teenage boys. Overrated? That's an incorrect prism to view this film's success.

The story has its spotty bits and plot holes. And the musical element kind of ends half-way through. That was strange. There seems to have been a lot of reshaping while they were making the movie, but it's still quite enjoyable. Much more so than the snoozefests of Brave or Cars 2 or, dare I say, Monsters University. I think everyone had higher expectations for Monsters U, but they just played to the kids the whole time. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't anything special. Well, aside from that sly ending.

As for Frozen's songs, I enjoyed Let it Go, Love is an Open Door and In Summer. Those three are quite strong. Apparently strong enough to inspire a Broadway musical adaptation.

So, overrated? Sure. What entertainment property or entertainer really deserves that kind of money and fame? None in my opinion. I'm just happy that, if it had to happen, it happened to a film like this. Great story, wonderful characters and an empowering, progressive theme.

My RT review from last year: A solid contribution to Disney film history. It also passes the Bechdel Test with flying colors. I just wish they'd discard the waifish waistlines in favor of creating some realistic or full figured heroines for once. 4 out of 5 stars

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, overrated? Sure. What entertainment property or entertainer really deserves that kind of money and fame? None in my opinion. I'm just happy that, if it had to happen, it happened to a film like this. Great story, wonderful characters and an empowering, progressive theme.
I'd take a film that at least speaks to an audience than a super imposed lip farting dog-fest anyday. There's a lot of care and love that went into this movie, and sometimes a film will only have that in some area at best. The typical Transformers movie has more care put into the special effects than... well... anything else. Even the Turtles in their new movie look much better than the standard Chipmunks/Yogi Bear/Marmaduke CGI paste job. There's no love in CGI kiddy reboots. Not in acting, direction, or writing. Watch a Chipmunks movie and see Jason Lee grumble through the entire film.

Then, look at the Academy Awards where the writers of the Let it Go song got their award. You've scarcely seen anyone that happy and rhymey. That's love right there.

There's a difference between saying I like the movie, but it's overrated and I hated the movie and will agree with any negative thing you can say about it.