The Tom and Jerry Show Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad it came back. Kinda disappointed that it's being burned off weekdays at 1PM, though.

Anyway, it may be a little too late, but Burger King had a weird soccer Tom and Jerry Show promotion. The toys were soccer balls with their faces stickered on them in like animal ear frames/bases. Not the greatest things, but still pretty fun, and they used the TJS designs. But that's not what's amazing about it. While Tom, Jerry, and Spike are to be expected, there's also Tyke, Butch the Cat (in one of his only ever toys, he's also available in a Jazzwares figure set), and surprisingly Quacker. Quacker did manage to pop up on the show several episodes back. Favoring him over Tuffy/Nibbles makes me wonder if either of them are going to be on the show at some point.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Favoring him over Tuffy/Nibbles makes me wonder if either of them are going to be on the show at some point.
Tuffy (as he's called this time) actually appeared in a more recent episode with T&J as detectives, and with Kath Soucie reprising her role from the more recent DTV movies he was in. Thankfully he wasn't so cloying as he was in some of the golden age shorts.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed all the video game sound FX they use here? I recognize a few from Donkey Kong (the arcade version, not the Atari 2600 version widely overused everywhere else), one from Super Mario World, and another from Sonic the Hedgehog. Seems strange that the creators would use them in addition to the Hanna-Barbera ones.

Also, I love how Daphne Blake and George Costanza are Tom and Spike's owners. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Tuffy (as he's called this time) actually appeared in a more recent episode with T&J as detectives, and with Kath Soucie reprising her role from the more recent DTV movies he was in. Thankfully he wasn't so cloying as he was in some of the golden age shorts.
Tuffy really managed to become a main character in a short amount of time.

I also really like how they managed to have a 4 part vacation story arc. I was especially impressed with their handling of the complex relationship between Tom, Jerry, and Spike in those episodes. They're not exactly friends, but they're not exactly not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't know exactly where to put this, but with little fanfare, CN is actually starting a divergent and competitive Saturday morning Line up featuring Wabbit, Be Cool Scooby-Doo, Bunnicula, and the second season of The Tom and Jerry Show. They've shown advertisements just this week about it.

That's good. I thought T&J was just a one season thing that they were trying to burn off episodes of. Seems that it's still part of their weekday morning line up and Boomerang's afternoon weekday line up as well.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I didn't know exactly where to put this, but with little fanfare, CN is actually starting a divergent and competitive Saturday morning Line up featuring Wabbit, Be Cool Scooby-Doo, Bunnicula, and the second season of The Tom and Jerry Show. They've shown advertisements just this week about it.

That's good. I thought T&J was just a one season thing that they were trying to burn off episodes of. Seems that it's still part of their weekday morning line up and Boomerang's afternoon weekday line up as well.
Nice to know that WB is giving T&J at least one more season. I wonder if they'll explore new scenarios this time?

And Bunnicula sounds interesting to me. It's supposed to be a dark comedy, which sounds like a lot of fun. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've heard of the books, but never got around to reading them. Seems like a solid show so far. I'm just impressed that CN is showing the initiative to have an actual Saturday Morning line up instead of just 3 shows starting at 6:30 and what they normally run all day anyway. Plus, they found a spot for Wabbit and Be Cool Scooby-Doo, so they're not just on permanent half season reruns on Boomerang.

Muppy

Reaction score
I used to read Bunnicula all the time, years ago. I'll be interested to see how the show turns out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. While it appears they weren't so honest about new Wabbit and Scooby episodes (though I haven't seen them, I know they were already broadcast), Tom and Jerry was new and had a sizable change. They addressed and answered the one main problem with the show. The 2 10 minute short format. The show came back with a traditional (or rather closer to other Tom and Jerry TV projects) 3 shorter shorts per episode. And they left George Costanza behind in the process.

So far, I'm liking Bunnicula. Seems that it's a show about getting caught up in with other animal monsters. Bunnicula somehow sounds like Donnie from Wild Thornberries, not so much the voice actor, but the speech patterns. I'm loving how the dog is dumb, but a special kind of oblivious dumb.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seems like they're going with a three shorts format with the new season, which is a welcoming change that keeps things from dragging, though I'm disappointed that all three for the premiere used the "house" scenario rather than alternating between that and the other three. Hopefully they haven't abandoned the others.

I've been enjoying Bunnicula so far. I've never actually read the books, but I might get to checking them out someday. I enjoy how the bunny is conflicted about being evil and being a loving companion to his owner (who is unaware of his evil side), and the Looney Tunes-style physical comedy that this adaptation employs. And how Sean "Raphael" Astin voices Chester the cat.

And they left George Costanza behind in the process.
Either Jason Alexander is too busy, or WB is being a bunch of cheapy the cheapskates with the voice acting. I'm guessing more of the latter as I don't think he's busy with anything else at the moment.

I'm loving how the dog is dumb, but a special kind of oblivious dumb.
Harold also appears to be a self-aware idiot, though unlike others of his kind like Patrick Star in later SpongeBob episodes, it doesn't come across as him being a jerk@@@ and that his stupidity is all just an act. So it still works.