Stop Being a Fool Disney: Release The Muppets at Walt Disney

Do you think Disney'll release the special?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I don't think there's a thread for this, anyways, when Disney got the muppets in 2004, I highly expected them to release the 1990 special on DVD considering it had something to do with Disney. A decade later, I'm still wondering, why aren't they releasing it? It's literally the most foolish thing not to do. IT'S A TIE-IN WITH DISNEY FOR GOD'S SAKE! At least maybe sell it at Disneyland near the Muppet Vision***3D ride I mean come on. It'd seem like such a no-brainer. Why haven't we got the special yet?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I don't think Disney sees that tv special as having too much of an actual demand to warrant an actual DVD release, i.e they don't see it as profitable, and the fact that it was a tie in with Disney, really matters very little. Since a) they now own it all and b) it's not like their are people (at least not much) who know the Muppets, but DON'T know Disney. And as much as it pains me to say this, I can of would have to agree.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I don't think Disney sees that tv special as having too much of an actual demand to warrant an actual DVD release, i.e they don't see it as profitable, and the fact that it was a tie in with Disney, really matters very little. Since a) they now own it all and b) it's not like their are people (at least not much) who know the Muppets, but DON'T know Disney. And as much as it pains me to say this, I can of would have to agree.
And it is very dated. They'd have better luck doing a more current version and even then I don't know if it would be popular enough to be profitable.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Question.

Does Disney release any special regardless of who's in it? I have never seen them release any television special, unless you count Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Slackbot

Reaction score
That special was basically a commercial for Disney's acquisition of the Muppets...before Henson died and the deal fell through. From a fan point of view, I'd love to have a better DVD than the one I made by burning YouTube videos onto a disc. However, from Disney's point of view, why would they release that? It's so dated and the message is not the one they want to get across now. They aren't acquiring them, they have them, they're firmly a Disney property now. Plus, during the closing credits we see puppet bloopers, including the puppeteers letting the puppets fall multiple times. NO NO NO! Mustn't spoil the magic!

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I have a really good quality copy of this somewhere. If anyone would like it, let me know. Anyway, it would be great to finally see a DVD of this. But I honestly doubt it.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't think there's a thread for this, anyways, when Disney got the muppets in 2004, I highly expected them to release the 1990 special on DVD considering it had something to do with Disney. A decade later, I'm still wondering, why aren't they releasing it? It's literally the most foolish thing not to do. IT'S A TIE-IN WITH DISNEY FOR GOD'S SAKE! At least maybe sell it at Disneyland near the Muppet Vision***3D ride I mean come on. It'd seem like such a no-brainer. Why haven't we got the special yet?
Any Muppet sepcial ought to be released on DVD, and this was a neat one! Especiallly the bits with the Seven Dwarfs!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I have a really good quality copy of this somewhere. If anyone would like it, let me know. Anyway, it would be great to finally see a DVD of this. But I honestly doubt it.
On VHS? You want to trade it with another muppet item?

JJandJanice

Reaction score
And it is very dated. They'd have better luck doing a more current version and even then I don't know if it would be popular enough to be profitable.
It is very dated, especially with what Mickey is wearing.

Don't get me wrong as a Muppets fan, sure I would enjoy seeing this get a DVD release, along with a wide catalog of Muppets specials. But I don't see it happening in the least. And let's be honest here, we're talking about Disney they own tons of franchises,not just Muppets, meaning that they have tons of things to release, rather it movies or tv shows that would much more profitable than this special.
Question.

Does Disney release any special regardless of who's in it? I have never seen them release any television special, unless you count Mickey's Christmas Carol.
Pretty much if it's a special that is more current like the Muppet ones that did get their own DVD, like Wizard of Oz or Letters to Santa, or those Phineas and Ferb ones.

Plus Mickey's Christmas Carol wasn't a a TV special, it was a theatrical short, first being shown before, I believe, the re-release of the Rescuers and was the first Mickey Mouse short film in over 30 years. So it's a part of Mickey Mouse film history, which is why that has gotten a few DVD releases over the years.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, then does anyone think it could be a bonus feature on a muppet blu-ray? (I'm thinking MMW will be the last muppet production to be released on DVD)