The Uncle Matt/Red dynamic

Princeton

Reaction score
This is, by far, my least favorite aspect of the series: Red not believing that Uncle Matt actually went on his adventures and then either Matt or Gobo feeling the need to prove her wrong. I don't know why the writers felt the need to pepper this storyline all throughout the series; heck, they even dedicated an entire episode to it: "Red's Blue Dragon"! So, how do you all feel about this aspect of the series?

DerpSandwich

Reaction score
I've never really had a problem with it. It seems normal that Red would be skeptical of Matt's accomplishments, because the alternative is to believe them and probably be jealous. She would prefer to think that he's just full of it. She's always seemed like the type that won't believe something until she sees it for herself (unless she's trying to be rebellious, as was the case when she sided with Large Marvin in visiting Bubba's Burger Barn rather than Gobo's choice, Manny's Land of Carpets).

Then on the other side of it, you've got Gobo and Matt, who are both very proud. It makes sense that they would work very hard to defend Matt's accomplishments.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Well I think Red has a crush on Gobo personally(or wants to be a lot closer with him just as friends). She can handle Wembley being his best friend since they are mutual friends, but Uncle Matt really takes a lot of Gobo's time between getting postcards and causing him to explore which she doesn't seem to care for as much as same Wembley which is MORE time from her. Othertimes she clearly likes Gobo's own explorations and she'll join him, but I think she's just jealous of their relationship the same way I was jealous when the cousin I rarely see was with her boyfriend who she sees everyday and wasn't really talking to me.

Princeton

Reaction score
Well I think Red has a crush on Gobo personally(or wants to be a lot closer with him just as friends). She can handle Wembley being his best friend since they are mutual friends, but Uncle Matt really takes a lot of Gobo's time between getting postcards and causing him to explore which she doesn't seem to care for as much as same Wembley which is MORE time from her. Othertimes she clearly likes Gobo's own explorations and she'll join him, but I think she's just jealous of their relationship the same way I was jealous when the cousin I rarely see was with her boyfriend who she sees everyday and wasn't really talking to me.

Yeah, for Red being pushy and rude is her version of flirting.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Yeah, for Red being pushy and rude is her version of flirting.
Yeah, that's probably true. She's usually really annoyed even with Mokey now and then when her other friends are getting too close to him!

Grifoshka

Reaction score
Well, let's not forget that Matt tends to think of himself as the bravest and most heroic Fraggle in the Rock, and is always condescending to others. Neither Gobo nor Red can put up with that, so they both clash with Matt sometimes. However, Gobo admires his uncle and never doubts his stories, while Red, being rather sceptical, has no problems with mocking Matt. So, I can totally understand this aspect of the series. Treatment like that would probably drive me up the wall, too.

Beige Fraggle

Reaction score
I always thought the relationship between Matt and Uncle Gobo was the worst thing about the show. Uncle Gobo was such a mean-spirited jerk. I know it was meant to be funny, but I've never understood how having one character genuinely despise another for no good reason could possibly be funny.

I get it, young Matt was clueless, annoying and pretty much acted as a bad luck charm for Uncle Gobo. But Matt's intentions were always good, and it was obvious that he had the utmost respect and admiration for his uncle, yet Uncle Gobo never uttered a single kind word to him. He even went so far as to call Matt a demon in one scene of "Born to Wander," when Matt is following him around and constantly running into him. That just seemed especially harsh to me. Klutz or dimwit I could understand, but demon? That implies pure evil, and Matt isn't even a brat, much less an actual villain.