There Needs To Be a Better Respect of Opinion Around Here

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, I've been on several other fan sites, and this site is 10x more civil than them all. Other sites have people swearing at each other for different opinions, and just bullying people for no reason. Compared to all those forums this place rocks!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Oh as far as that is concerned I agree this forum is awesome. My concern is that new and younger members are not feeling as welcome as they could.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
People don't seem to get two things:
  1. Doug Walker has said that he usually exaggerates a lot of the Nostalgia Critic's reactions to certain things. For instance, take his review of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic SATAM. Doug has said that while he does consider SATAM the superior of the two shows, he thinks Adventures is funny and enjoyable just because of how over-the-top ridiculous it is. He accentuates the negative mostly for laughs, unless it's something truly bad, like Inspector Gadget or Bio-Dome (and yes, I have seen both, and they are that bad).
  2. Critics aren't gods (neither are popular opinions). Even if Doug Walker did genuinely hate everything the Nostalgia Critic has reviewed, that doesn't mean everyone who disagrees is wrong or should be shouted down (I've had this experience myself; getting shouted down because I disagreed with his reviews of Full House, Space Jam, and The Pagemaster (the last of those I didn't even see as a kid, so it's not like it was the Nostalgia Filter; I saw it as an adult, and didn't think it was bad, for what it was.))
Yeah, it's irritating...
In fact in his Top 11 Worst Movies He's Reviewed, he clearly states he doesn't think you're an idiot if you like something he doesn't. Then take the Disneycember reviews which are MUCH more positive or the worst he'll say is that they're mediocre.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
In fact in his Top 11 Worst Movies He's Reviewed, he clearly states he doesn't think you're an idiot if you like something he doesn't. Then take the Disneycember reviews which are MUCH more positive or the worst he'll say is that they're mediocre.
Yep, exactly. I actually replied to a comment on his Nostalgia Critic review of "8 Crazy Nights" (the comment said, basically, that the movie is stupid and mindless, and you'd have to be an idiot to like it). I asked this person why s/he was under the impression that everything people enjoy watching NEEDS to "challenge" them, and why people can't just enjoy watching things that are stupid and mindless. I really wish more of NC's fans had a mindset closer to the real Doug Walker's mindset; that even if you don't like something, it's not okay to act like no one else is entitled to enjoy it For example, I don't think all people who like South Park, iCarly, or Family Guy are necessarily all idiots or bad people, even having felt the wrath of some rabid fanbrats of each show for saying I don't like them.

On a side note, for a lot of shows I did once enjoy, but don't anymore (like South Park or Powerpuff Girls), even though just not liking the material is the main part, a large part of my distaste for the shows (say 45%) is the annoying fanbrats. Every fanbase has a bunch; the people who think all criticism of their show is evil, wrong, and/or stupid, that the only way you couldn't like their show is if you're an idiot, ad nauseum. This mindset is why geekdom can't have nice things. The last thing I'd want is for this forum to have more of that mentality. :frown:

Muppet Master

Reaction score

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I noticed that we've kind of slid back into an old routine around here lately: people whining about the "negativity" on the forum, but once again, this so-called "negativity" is in regard to people expressing their opinions about something, and just because the opinion isn't sun-kissed and sugar-coated. I mean, honestly, is having a difference of opinion the end of the world or something?

See, as I explained in the "Old Days" thread, this is one of the reasons why many people don't even come here anymore because these kind of high school-level dramatics. There was almost an explosion after I mentioned ABC gave FROZEN a primetime making-of special in the "FROZEN is Overrated" thread, and now a brand spankin' new lenghty interview with Frank Oz has been released (I haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to), but apparently he mentions he thoughts of Disney owning the Muppets, so it must be doom-and-gloom.

Really people, can't we kinda grow up a little?

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I noticed that we've kind of slid back into an old routine around here lately: people whining about the "negativity" on the forum, but once again, this so-called "negativity" is in regard to people expressing their opinions about something, and just because the opinion isn't sun-kissed and sugar-coated. I mean, honestly, is having a difference of opinion the end of the world or something?

See, as I explained in the "Old Days" thread, this is one of the reasons why many people don't even come here anymore because these kind of high school-level dramatics. There was almost an explosion after I mentioned ABC gave FROZEN a primetime making-of special in the "FROZEN is Overrated" thread, and now a brand spankin' new lenghty interview with Frank Oz has been released (I haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to), but apparently he mentions he thoughts of Disney owning the Muppets, so it must be doom-and-gloom.

Really people, can't we kinda grow up a little?
What makes me mad is whenever someone expresses an unpopular opinion, it's met with whining and shouting down (i.e. saying you thought The Muppets was the worst Muppet movie). You know, why don't you tell those people (who can't stand unpopular opinions (no matter what the reason) to grow up instead of bawling us out?

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Man, I've been letting people not express their opinions off and on.. It'll stay on forever now. :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna be heading out the door here with Jamie soon...ever since I came back a few months ago this forum hasn't changed at all. Well it has changed but not for the better IMO. Wow I gave an opinion let the attacks begin! MMW was my only saving grace for coming back here. Unless they do another big project I'm taking my leave. I talk to my closest friends here outside MC and to be honest its better anyways. See ya.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
What makes me mad is whenever someone expresses an unpopular opinion, it's met with whining and shouting down (i.e. saying you thought The Muppets was the worst Muppet movie). You know, why don't you tell those people (who can't stand unpopular opinions (no matter what the reason) to grow up instead of bawling us out?
You know no one is bawling, they are just expressing their opinions on other people's opinions, so why can you not respect their opinions, it is not like they are messing with them, they are just asking why the person hated or liked something. What is more annoying though is how many people hate on this forum, because it is not like the old days, whatever those was, which really makes all the new members feel left out, anyway that is my two cents. I respect your opinion on the topic, I am just saying what I think.